Over reaction to a Loss on the road

madtownvol

ys1a9.jpg

Yes, the LVs had their four game win streak broken on the road against GA. And of course, the predictable "Fire Holly!;" "the LVs suck" reactions are flooding the board. For all of you who only show up after defeats, welcome back and enjoy your short-lived stay! :hi:

Indeed the LVs did not play well. And again, poor shooting was their Achilles heel. In that incredibly low scoring first quarter, the LVs should have had an 8 to 10 point if they had hit their open shots. Poor shooting has been the sword upon which the LVs have fallen all season; during their wins streak, they were shooting well above their season average and they were bound to fall back to their mean at some point.

Outside of Diamond and Mercedes, the team shot 5 for 26 (with Nared going 1 for 6). Meme was 0 for 6, including some late wide open threes that could have won the game. Jordan had two back to back wide open shots that could have forced another OT. Of course, we can point to other flaws on the defensive end that cost the LVs the game. But, it is hard to overcome such paltry shooting. Of the teams 78 points, 58 came from our big “two” for the night. That is a lot of goose eggs from Nared and other role players like Nunn, who had been stepping during their win streak.

In terms of coaching, Holly made some good changes in shifting her defensive scheme to a zone but once Nared got into foul trouble, her options were again so limited. Though Alexa hit two big 3s, she was once again over matched against must quicker guards. Nunn was similarly unable to match-up against more athletic posts. The quickness of the GA post players also created all kinds of problems for Mercedes (who despite good numbers), lost a lot of the inside battles.

The most disappointing thing about this loss is that the LVs are still struggling to match up against teams that can bring a swarming of defense (reminiscent of Mitchell’s KY a few years back). GA followed the Auburn template; in the LVs four game win streak, they did not face that kind of defensive pressure and were able to take the game to the opponents.

The LVs 24 TOs were obviously costly (let’s not forget that the LVs forced GA into 20 TOs). About half of those were due to the LVs not handling pressure well or Mercedes getting caught in bad positions in the post. As the game went on, the LVs, particularly Diamond, really started forcing passes which contributed to the rest. That can go on Holly as well; the team should be more disciplined and not succumb to the stress of the moment. But, without much 3 pt. shooting, the paint got packed and there were not always good options. Had Jamie been stretching the court with the threat of her outside shot, some better options might have availed themselves.

The plus side is that the LVs showed a lot of fight, particularly Diamond. They did give up some easy baskets toward the end; the end to end play that tied the game in regulation should not have happened. But, that was a mental and physical breakdown of a tired team; that is not an excuse, they gave up a play that should not have happened but it is hard to put that one all on Holly.

These are the games were the injury to Te’a looms large. She would provide another quick player to help beat the defensive pressure and another 3 pt. shooting option (who could also defend).

With this short bench and the reality that there will be nights when the big three are not firing on all cylinders, you have to expect some set-back games.

But this loss definitely feels different from their early season debacles. GA is not a great team but they have really good athletes and they played well above their baseline in front of the home crowd (much like the LVs did against ND). On the whole, the LVs had an off night but were still one three pointer that rattled out from walking off with W.

This loss ain’t the end of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
I didn't overreact. Holly is a terrible coach. 8 losses thus far. Holly has not developed or motivated her team to become successful.

In one and a half season's Holly has coached the team into 22 losses. An elite eight exit and beating 3 top 10 teams does not exclude her from being held accountable for the abysmal product that she puts out on the court. Inconsistency is her modus operandi. Sometimes they play good yet most of the time they don't.

Hopefully the person (s) that pays Holly to coach will see what's all the fuss is about on social media. Who knows? Maybe they are reading this sight and articles about how terrible of a coach Holly is. Then they can go and watch a game or two and decide for themselves.

I hope sooner rather than later.

Holly just doesn't have the skill level to coach a Div. I team of Tennessee's stature.

This is all coming from a place of love. :eek:k::birgits_giggle:

Reactions: 12 people
My biggest issue, and I've said this about men's BB and FB as well, is the Jekyll and Hyde identity of these programs now. I understand having a few bad games each year out of 30, but it really has turned into a situation where us fans have no clue which team will show up. It's really a 50/50 thing when it comes to SEC games. When I'm out of town and check on the game, while I wait for the score to load, my mind says "they can be up by 20, down by 20, or tied." It truly is a crapshoot when I look up score no matter the opponent.

If UT loses by 30 Thursday night, can't say I'd be shocked. If they win by 30, I wouldn't be shocked either. If it's a close game, again - no surprise. The peaks and valleys of this team far exceeds anything I've seen in a long long long time.

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't overreact. Holly is a terrible coach. 8 losses thus far. Holly has not developed or motivated her team to become successful.

In one and a half season's Holly has coached the team into 22 losses. An elite eight exit and beating 3 top 10 teams does not exclude her from being held accountable for the abysmal product that she puts out on the court. Inconsistency is her modus operandi. Sometimes they play good yet most of the time they don't.

Hopefully the person (s) that pays Holly to coach will see what's all the fuss is about on social media. Who knows? Maybe they are reading this sight and articles about how terrible of a coach Holly is. Then they can go and watch a game or two and decide for themselves.

I hope sooner rather than later.

Holly just doesn't have the skill level to coach a Div. I team of Tennessee's stature.

This is all coming from a place of love. :eek:k::birgits_giggle:

Holly ain't going to be fired, no matter how many people post their hatred for her on this board.

ys1a9.jpg

Yes, the LVs had their four game win streak broken on the road against GA. And of course, the predictable "Fire Holly!;" "the LVs suck" reactions are flooding the board. For all of you who only show up after defeats, welcome back and enjoy your short-lived stay! :hi:

Indeed the LVs did not play well. And gain, poor shooting was their Achilles heel. In that incredibly low scoring first quarter, the LVs should have had an 8 to 10 point if they had hit their open shots. Poor shooting has been the sword upon which the LVs have fallen all season; during their wins streak, they were shooting well above their season average and they were bound to fall back to their mean at some point.

Outside of Diamond and Mercedes, the team shot 5 for 26 (with Nared going 1 for 6). Meme was 0 for 6, including some late wide open threes that could have won the game. Jordan had two back to back wide open shots that could have forced another OT. Of course, we can point to other flaws on the defensive end that cost the LVs the game. But, it is hard to overcome such paltry shooting. Of the teams 78 points, 58 came from our big “two” for the night. That is a lot of goose eggs from Nared and other role players like Nunn, who had been stepping during their win streak.

In terms of coaching, Holly made some good changes in shifting her defensive scheme to a zone but once Nared got into foul trouble, her options were again so limited. Though Alexa hit two big 3s, she was once again over matched against must quicker guards. Nunn was similarly unable to match-up against more athletic posts. The quickness of the GA post players also created all kinds of problems for Mercedes (who despite good numbers), lost a lot of the inside battles.

The most disappointing thing about this loss is that the LVs are still struggling to match up against teams that can bring a swarming of defense (reminiscent of Mitchell’s KY a few years back). GA followed the Auburn template; in the LVs four game win streak, they did not face that kind of defensive pressure and were able to take the game to the opponents.

The LVs 24 TOs were obviously costly (let’s not forget that the LVs forced GA into 20 TOs). About half of those were due to the LVs not handling pressure well or Mercedes getting caught in bad positions in the post. As the game went on, the LVs, particularly Diamond, really started forcing passes which contributed to the rest. That can go on Holly as well; the team should be more disciplined and no succumb to the stress of the moment. But, without much 3 pt. shooting, the paint got packed and there were not always good options. Had Jamie been stretching the court with the threat of her outside shot, some better options might have availed themselves.

The plus side is that the LVs showed a lot of fight, particularly Diamond. They did give up some easy baskets toward the end; the end to end play that tied the game in regulation should not have happened. But, that was a mental and physical breakdown of a tired team; that is not an excuse, they gave up a play that should not have happened but it is hard to put that one all on Holly.

These are the games were the injury to Te’a looms large. She would provide another quick player to help beat the defensive pressure and another 3 pt. shooting option (who could also defend).

With this short bench and the reality that there will be nights when the big three are not firing on all cylinders, you have to expect some set-back games.

But this loss definitely feels different from their early season debacles. GA is not a great team but they have really good athletes and they played well above their baseline in front of the home crowd (much like the LVs did against ND). On the whole, the LVs had an off night but were still one three pointer that rattled out from walking off with W.

Madtown, you are the Einstein of LV basketball analysts! Brilliant post!

Reactions: 5 people
I don't know what's sadder, the 22 losses (and counting) the last couple of seasons or the gradual acceptance from some of the fanbase.

Just another loss, no biggie.....

Reactions: 16 people
I don't know what's sadder, the 22 losses (and counting) the last couple of seasons or the gradual acceptance from some of the fanbase.

Exactly ....just another loss to a terrible team.....that needs to be the new refrain.....heck " Just another LOSS ...need to get used to it because it will be used a lot.

Reactions: 6 people
My biggest issue, and I've said this about men's BB and FB as well, is the Jekyll and Hyde identity of these programs now. I understand having a few bad games each year out of 30, but it really has turned into a situation where us fans have no clue which team will show up. It's really a 50/50 thing when it comes to SEC games. When I'm out of town and check on the game, while I wait for the score to load, my mind says "they can be up by 20, down by 20, or tied." It truly is a crapshoot when I look up score no matter the opponent.

If UT loses by 30 Thursday night, can't say I'd be shocked. If they win by 30, I wouldn't be shocked either. If it's a close game, again - no surprise. The peaks and valleys of this team far exceeds anything I've seen in a long long long time.

This post sums up my feelings. Most of the reason is coaching and you cannot blame a short bench. Washington plays seven players with one super star and I would bet the losses they have are not as ugly as ours. After this loss I wanted to play the Beatles song helter skelter.

Reactions: 4 people
Holly ain't going to be fired, no matter how many people post their hatred for her on this board.

It's not hatred. It's identifying systemic issues with the program that are not improving. We have the same issues year after year.

It's possible to disapprove of the way she is "coaching" this team and still like her as a person.

6 years 6 years she has had the opportunity to get this program rolling again.... and what exactly has she done... what are her accomplishments in this time..... you would think she has something to hang her hat on....

Oh wait there are the 3 Elite 8 finishes.... if that is the high water mark, that is in fact a big part of the problem....

the kid gloves are on.... "Oh Holly that is so good that you have led us here...Good going Holly!!!"

Reactions: 1 person
ys1a9.jpg

Indeed the LVs did not play well. And again, poor shooting was their Achilles heel. In that incredibly low scoring first quarter, the LVs should have had an 8 to 10 point if they had hit their open shots. Poor shooting has been the sword upon which the LVs have fallen all season; during their wins streak, they were shooting well above their season average and they were bound to fall back to their mean at some point.

The LVs 24 TOs were obviously costly (let’s not forget that the LVs forced GA into 20 TOs). About half of those were due to the LVs not handling pressure well or Mercedes getting caught in bad positions in the post. As the game went on, the LVs, particularly Diamond, really started forcing passes which contributed to the rest. That can go on Holly as well; the team should be more disciplined and not succumb to the stress of the moment. But, without much 3 pt. shooting, the paint got packed and there were not always good options. Had Jamie been stretching the court with the threat of her outside shot, some better options might have availed themselves.

"If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day." If Jordan had done this, if Meme had done that, blah, blah, blah. Sometimes you substitute the word "had" for if...that's refreshing! Truth is, this is not a well coached team and even a casual observer who can count to 5 or 6...Micky D's All-Americans, can see that. I can hardly wait for the next plethora of "ifs" and "hads"...it's becoming routine for this team to go on the road and look like a deer in the headlights frequently...again, we couldn't even get the ball inbounded several times...pathetic! Holly doesn't expect greatness from great players...she sets the standard at "competing" which can range from the mediocre that she gets from her players to a true definition of excellence at times...inconsistency is her, and their, middle name. It starts at the top...matador defense, as one of our posters aptly described it, seems to rear its ugly head frequently...but Holly says they're not tired or out of shape, she says they're in great physical condition. They need to start playing like it...and she needs to start expecting greatness and not mediocrity.

Reactions: 2 people

This may be the first time I agree with you, D.

UT fans and UT teams should never accept anything, but what Pat herself would be proud of!

But I think Pat would be pretty proud of our previous four game run.

Though I never just accept a loss, this loss ain't gonna kill us...

...it's how we respond to this loss that will define us.

The team and staff has to treat it like a biggie though because it WAS a VERY winnable game.

We're fully aware of that, just as you're fully aware that Tennessee's days as a NC contender are over for as long as Holly is coach. But hey, maybe there's another E8 on the way.

Gradual acceptance comes with the fact that Holly is the coach for the foreseeable future, and this is the new normal: inconsistency, and a talented albeit underachieving run-of-the-mill team that is good enough to shock one of the top teams during the regular season, but too inconsistent to string those performances into a consistently high level of play during the season and post-season. They are that #5/6 team that is dangerous in the tournament, but just as likely to lose early as they are to make some noise.

Reactions: 1 person
ys1a9.jpg

Your attempts to explain each LV loss and how we should react to it does a disservice to those of us who have been watching LV basketball for decades.

Your reasons for this loss (bad first quarter, poor shooting, lots of turnovers, no 3-point shooting, inability to match up against quicker guards, short bench, etc...) are a revelation to the rest of us. Goodness, how did we miss all that? Thank you for explaining it. Can you do the same after the next loss? Feel free to use the same reasons. I feel pretty sure they'll apply.

Last edited:
Your attempt to explain this loss does a disservice to those of us who have been watching LV basketball for decades.

Your reasons for the loss (bad first quarter, poor shooting, lots of turnovers, no 3-point shooting, inability to match up against quicker guards, short bench, etc...) are a revelation to the rest of us. Goodness, how did we miss all that? Thank you for explaining it. Can you do the same after the next loss? Feel free to use the same reasons. I feel pretty sure they'll apply.

Wow Jeff :yahoo:

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::clapping::clapping::clapping::bash::bash::furious3::furious3::post-4-1090547912:

Wow Jeff :yahoo:

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::clapping::clapping::clapping::bash::bash::furious3::furious3::post-4-1090547912:

Madtown's a good egg. But he ought to get upset at a loss every now and then. It might do him good. It does me. I go out and kick the dog around after every loss. (Well not really).

Madtown's a good egg. But he ought to get upset at a loss every now and then. It might do him good. It does me. I go out and kick the dog around after every loss. (Well not really).

Careful Jeff you will have PETA down on your arse!!

:loco::loco::loco::loco::cray::cray::cray::cray::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::banghead2::banghead2::banghead2::no::no::no::no::mf_surrender::mf_surrender::mf_surrender::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

The LV's lead in to the superbowl.... I am a hardcore Atlanta Falcon fan. What a perfect opportunity for bliss,,,Nope...Not on this day!

Our loss to GA wasn't acceptable.
But, SC's loss to us, wasn't acceptable for them either.
However, they're still #6 in the country a week later.
They responded to their loss with wins.
We have to do that also.
If we follow that dismal performance with another good showing, we will continue to rise up the top 25.

Your attempts to explain each LV loss and how we should react to it does a disservice to those of us who have been watching LV basketball for decades.

Your reasons for this loss (bad first quarter, poor shooting, lots of turnovers, no 3-point shooting, inability to match up against quicker guards, short bench, etc...) are a revelation to the rest of us. Goodness, how did we miss all that? Thank you for explaining it. Can you do the same after the next loss? Feel free to use the same reasons. I feel pretty sure they'll apply.

If this type of loss was rare, then there would be less concern, however, there is a pattern here. It seems our ladies have issues with consistency and motivation. They appear to be self motivated against, at least this year, great competition but not so much against lesser competition.

If this type of loss was rare, then there would be less concern, however, there is a pattern here. It seems our ladies have issues with consistency and motivation. They appear to be self motivated against, at least this year, great competition but not so much against lesser competition.

They've been playing down to the competition ever since Holly took over. That's been no surprise. The surprise this year is that for the most part, they've been getting up for the good teams as you pointed out

VN Store

Back