Reflections on Montrief and LV future guards

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
Montrief was a fun player to watch and caused me to reflect if our next year guards have her skills and more.

What if one or more of the two next year guards and the LV guard redshirting had the speed and change of pace ability of the player we watched from LSU. And played under control. And was a team player! and had the ability to shoot the three and the mid-range jumper! And could go to her left as well as her right! '''''and had great court vision including passing and had the instincts of Catchings to rebound! and played defense with commitment and enjoyment. And had good knees!

Reactions: 2 people
we've got a couple now, just late bloomers, and more to come...so, I don't see a problem...just bask in the glory...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
Montrief was a fun player to watch and caused me to reflect if our next year guards have her skills and more.

What if one or more of the two next year guards and the LV guard redshirting had the speed and change of pace ability of the player we watched from LSU. And played under control. And was a team player! and had the ability to shoot the three and the mid-range jumper! And could go to her left as well as her right! '''''and had great court vision including passing and had the instincts of Catchings to rebound! and played defense with commitment and enjoyment. And had good knees!

Daammn.. is she the mother to be of your childern?

Reactions: 4 people
we've got a couple now, just late bloomers, and more to come...so, I don't see a problem...just bask in the glory...:)

GO LADY VOLS!
We don't have a couple now. We have no one like the miss state or lsu pt guards. Let's hope we have one coming.

Reactions: 1 person
We don't have a couple now. We have no one like the miss state or lsu pt guards. Let's hope we have one coming.

Hayes and Westbrook will be very good. Cooper is known for getting to the rim at ease, she just needs to develop a consistent jump shot. I'm excited about next year's potential guard play. That has been our weakness for years.

What would be better is that the Lady Vols knew how to stop opposing guards like those you mentioned and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
What would be better is that the Lady Vols knew how to stop opposing guards like those you mentioned and others.

You are right on!!! This is the one constant that happens every night. I thought Meme would be able to stop some of that and if she has it has not been many times. Middleton gets caught flatfooted more than anyone but it happens to every one of them often. Quickness is part of the problem or lack thereof! I hope next years class will be able to help with that problem and maybe a year off and some leg work will help Cooper! We just get beat off the dribble more than any team I have ever seen. I still pull for the ladies every game, however I still pull hair out of my balding head as well!!:banghead2::mf_surrender::boobies:

I just knew I couldn't be the only one impressed with Mongrief's game. Thanks for sharing.

No I don't see any current Lady Vol cut from the same cloth as a Mongrief. Not this season anyway. We do have players that can score in other ways.

I just knew I couldn't be the only one impressed with Mongrief's game. Thanks for sharing.

No I don't see any current Lady Vol cut from the same cloth as a Mongrief. Not this season anyway. We do have players that can score in other ways.

We have Diamond DeShields, Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell and they don't!!!!!

Reactions: 6 people
Moncrief isn't very good defensively with on the ball pressure and is slow getting back. While her midrange jumper and ball handling skills are very good, her lack of defensive effort and lack of a three point shot are major weaknesses.

We have Diamond DeShields, Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell and they don't!!!!!

Lots of exclamation marks. :ninja:

Let me explain myself in detail.

The subject is LSU's guard Raigyne Moncrief (The correct spelling) playmaking on how she was able to score effortlessly. She's very quick and has one of the best midrange jump shots that I've seen. She's fast but she isn't rushing her shots. Raigyne made it appear so easy to get to a spot on the court, shoot and score. I don't believe she made any 3pt shots they were all midrange. She scored a total of 20 points.

Jaime has a nice midrange shot in fact I believe that she's the best on the team. She has more of an arsenal to her game than Raigyne. The difference for me is Raigyne is specialized with that midrange shot. She's able to get to a spot quickly and hit her shot. She kept doing it that's how I noticed her. :yes:

I was just impressed with her game mainly because she played under control like she was on a mission to score. -Moncrief hunts for her shots. If I remember correctly that is something coach Summit used to tell Kara Lawson and Angie Bjorklund.

Happy that Moncrief's team lost though. :)

VN Store

Back