Diamond "Team Player" sparkles again

madtownvol

Diamond's stat line for LSU

11 rebounds 15 points 8 assists, 3 TO and only one foul.

[If not for her teammates missing a couple of wide open jumpers, she would have had a triple double]

What the stat line does not show is that she played tremendous defense from start to finish. I think her defensive intensity sets the tone for the whole team.

And, she did all this without scoring in the first half. LSU was keying on her and she missed her few shot opportunities. But that slow offensive start did not impede her defensive effort and she was a fantastic facilitator with 6 first half assists. And she made some really athletic, high hustle rebounds (taking the ball away from less nimble LSU players).

Though her overall shooting % was not great (5-14), she was 2-4 on threes. And what I found really exciting and encouraging, is that DD made three of her "highlight reel," amazing athletic move shots. For most of the season, she has been making the OMG! move but not finishing. If she has found that needed deft touch at the rim, she will be very tough to defend going forward.

So, aside from a great performance; DD is showing that she is a total team player. Best of all, Diamond, Jamie and Mercedes are melding into a very formidable big 3 with great chemistry.

Reactions: 20 people

[If not for her teammates missing a couple of wide open jumpers, she would have had a triple double]

What the stat line does not show is that she played tremendous defense from start to finish. I think her defensive intensity sets the tone for the whole team.

And, she did all this without scoring in the first half. LSU was keying on her and she missed her few shot opportunities. But that slow offensive start did not impede her defensive effort and she was a fantastic facilitator with 6 first half assists. And she made some really athletic, high hustle rebounds (taking the ball away from less nimble LSU players).

Though her overall shooting % was not great (5-14), she was 2-4 on threes. And what I found really exciting and encouraging, is that DD made three of her "highlight reel," amazing athletic move shots. For most of the season, she has been making the OMG! move but not finishing. If she has found that needed deft touch at the rim, she will be very tough to defend going forward.

So, aside from a great performance; DD is showing that she is a total team player. Best of all, Diamond, Jamie and Mercedes are melding into a very formidable big 3 with great chemistry.

it's nice that she is starting to live up to the hype

Reactions: 2 people
She has totally changed her mindset and her game. She has become a super player for the Lady Vols.

Reactions: 4 people

This. Love this post, LOVE DD! She has always been a team player - but misunderstood. I so agree DD, JN, and MR are beginning to meld into a formidable big 3. It's inspiring to watch! And don't you just love Diamond in the post-game pressers? 😁

Shining bright like a Diamond...always! 💎

Go Lady Vols!!! 💙🍊🏀✨

Reactions: 9 people
She has totally changed her mindset and her game. She has become a super player for the Lady Vols.

True. An amazing turnaround from earlier in the season and it's all mental. She now does whatever the LV's need her to do and at a very high level. Now if we can get additional, consistent support from outside the big 3, I anticipate a final four (at least) appearance this year.

Great post, madtown.

Watching her at the games I have always been impressed by her hustle, athletic ability, and team play. There are times she could take the shot that she chooses to pass, at the first of the season I think that led to some turnovers. The girl she was passing to just did not expect to receive the ball. Especially when it required the type of pass to get it there! She made one in to Jamie last night, threaded the needle, and it was low, but Jamie just got her hands on it and went straight to the shot. At the first of the season she might have been surprised and that split second kept her from scoring. Now the two of them are in synch and the talent is showing on both sides.

With all the ups and downs of this season, I have been impressed with the teamwork and effort displayed on court by all these Ladys.

We have to give Holly some credit for the change in attitude for this team. In the last four games we have had few of those turnovers that make you scratch your head and say what the hell just happened? There seems to be more team ball all around. I think we have to give Nunn a few attaboys, she is playing much better. She seems to be back in game shape. I am really happy what I am seeing.

Someone must have stuck a bur under Holly's saddle. She used a timeout in the 3rd quarter when things was starting to go South. She looked as if she was having azz kicking talk with the girls. Maybe this is a turning point, at least let's hope so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
We have to give Holly some credit for the change in attitude for this team. In the last four games we have had few of those turnovers that make you scratch your head and say what the hell just happened? There seems to be more team ball all around. I think we have to give Nunn a few attaboys, she is playing much better. She seems to be back in game shape. I am really happy what I am seeing.

Someone must have stuck a bur under Holly's saddle. She used a timeout in the 3rd quarter when things was starting to go South. She looked as if she was having azz talk with girls. Maybe this is a turning point, at least let's hope so.

According to Holly, Nunn was still in such pain at the start of the season they were not sure she would even be able to play. This was reflected in early games. Again according to Holly, Nunn is now pretty much pain free and we can see her capabilities. And that makes everyone:).

T_Vol376 likes her make up; I like the smile on her face! She can get knocked down and come up smiling.

I agree and many times her TO is because a team mate is slow to react to her passes. She threw a beautiful bullet pass to Jamie I think down low that was on the money. Those two drives for layups were highlight plays on any sportscenter any day of the week. With Jamie taking the leadership role and running with it has helped take the pressure of DD so she can play ball. Now as DD and Jamie goes so go the LVs!!:boobies:

Reactions: 1 person

Someone must have stuck a bur under Holly's saddle. She used a timeout in the 3rd quarter when things was starting to go South. She looked as if she was having azz talk with girls. Maybe this is a turning point, at least let's hope so.

Teacherdean you are exactly right. I have *****ed all year about HW letting runs go way to long with out her stopping them with a TO. I swear in some of the early close games she carried at least 2 and many 3 into the locker room after the game.:mf_surrender::mf_surrender::mf_surrender:

Reactions: 3 people
Last night was our best zone offense of the LAST 2 SEASONS! 2 of Diamonds turnovers came from tough post passes that I thought were a little forced. She should of had a triple double though!
Our problem has been mental toughness, and it seems that we are starting to become 'mentally tough'. We are competing and it's fun to watch finally! Diamond didn't have the stellar first have, but instead of letting that affect her 2nd half, she came out ready to play (the main issue the whole team has had IMO). I'm am thrilled to see the turnaround and just really hope it carry's over. Once a person/team see's results of success, they usually continue doing what they are doing to continue that success. Keep it up!

According to Holly, Nunn was still in such pain at the start of the season they were not sure she would even be able to play. This was reflected in early games. Again according to Holly, Nunn is now pretty much pain free and we can see her capabilities. And that makes everyone:).

T_Vol376 likes her make up; I like the smile on her face! She can get knocked down and come up smiling.

Her make up is just one of the things I love about Qui (wish she would give me some pointers!) and I agree there is a WORLD of difference in her play now vs. the beginning of the season. For instance, I recall seeing her play in the Navy exhibition game and thinking it looked like she could not get up and down the court. I missed somewhere that she was having pain issues. So glad she fought through it! I have seen a change in her since after the Baylor game. They had a big "come to Jesus meeting" and she was very motivated afterward. From that point on is when I started seeing her really pick up her game. She has definitely become a major contributor!

And yes - love too how she can get knocked down and come up smiling. Love everything about her (especially her kickass makeup)! 💅🏻💄💋

:)

I wonder who

:pI have been very critical of DeShields in the past because of the high number of turnovers committed in most games. If she can control those turnovers and keep hitting those shots, DeShields could help immensely the rest of the way and in the NCAA tournament. She now seems more of a team player too.

I agree and many times her TO is because a team mate is slow to react to her passes. She threw a beautiful bullet pass to Jamie I think down low that was on the money. Those two drives for layups were highlight plays on any sportscenter any day of the week. With Jamie taking the leadership role and running with it has helped take the pressure of DD so she can play ball. Now as DD and Jamie goes so go the LVs!!:boobies:

Good Point! A few games back those passes to Nared and Nunn would have probably been TOs. It has taken a while but the team is catching up to DD's speed of play and also realizing that the pass could come from anywhere!

Everyone is thinking this change in fortune is like the Emperors New Clothes for Holly....

Congrats for the success, but I require a bit more of a track record to show evidence that the tide has turned..... I hope so

VN Store

Back