Soccer Signing Class: Pensky Loads Up

armchair

Coach Brian Pensky signed a strong soccer class today. If he's proved one thing in his five+ years at UT, it's that he can recruit. This class is a nice mix of talent, with I think 5 players who were ranked in the top 150 and a couple of very promising transfers. The team should have a lot of depth in the next couple of years, and Pensky will have a lot of personnel options. The key, as always, will be getting the right players in the right positions, in the most advantageous formation, and building a cohesive unit. The possession play needs to be better. We certainly will have a lot of good/potentially good midfielders. I am looking forward already to seeing the 2017 team in action.

Vol Soccer Inks Strong Class for 2017 - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Reactions: 3 people
I will say this. I was never much of a soccer person growing up but since my daughter started playing travel soccer this past year in Virginia, I can say they run some great programs here.

I will say this. I was never much of a soccer person growing up but since my daughter started playing travel soccer this past year in Virginia, I can say they run some great programs here.

have a lot of kids from Virginia, where as you say, the quality of soccer is good--both in Richmond and in northern Virginia. I live in the state and see some good ECNL games occasionally.

I was hoping Pensky could land Jordan Canniff, who is a top 5 player nationally in the 2019 or 2020 class and who has played a lot with two of our new signees, Paige Franks and McKinley Burkett, on a Richmond United ECNL team, but she has committed to Pa. State. (The quality of players that the big dogs get--pa. state, stanford, unc, ucla, in particular--is depressing.) Franks was actually supposed to be in our 2018 class but somehow has been reclassified academically and is joining us early--and Burkett has only just turned 17. Pensky has improved the talent at UT significantly over the last four years.

We had a commitment in this class from an excellent player in Maryland---maybe the best four-year prospect in the class--but she reneged and signed with Wisconsin. That was a tough loss.

We lost a player who would have been a senior next year--Carlyn Baldwin, who came to UT (from northern VA) three years ago as a highly rated prospect with U20 U.S. National Team experience (like Katie Cousins). Baldwin was effective as a freshman but not effective as a soph and junior, though she played a lot. I think she got word that her playing time was going to be significantly reduced this year. That's informed speculation. She's now playing with a professional women's team in Switzerland, which sounds like a great adventure, at the least. Baldwin might make a good coach down the road.

You've almost got to recruit some international players nowadays. Florida State and West Virginia have a bunch and they've made those programs very good. I think the NCAA should set a limit of, say, 3 foreign-born players, but that hasn't been done yet. About a third of west virginia's starters last year were from Canada, and that team was very good. Probably should have won the national title but got beat in the championship game by Southern Cal. We've just signed a transfer from Jamaica who could be a very good player--tall, rangy and killed. I think she's got two years of eligibility.

I think Pensky has a chance to build an excellent program at Tennessee, but he's got to improve our possession play. We actually had a pretty good team by the end of last year--but we didn't make the NCAA tourney again because we had a bad start of the season and we couldn't get a result against any of the top teams we played. Maybe this year will be different. We'll be talented but with Hannah Wilkinson gone we will need to replace her scoring. We've got a lot of good or potentially good midfielders, so it will be interesting to see if Pensky sticks with the 4-3-3 formation that he prefers. He probably will.

Last edited:
There is a girl at the high school across the street from me. Battlefield. That went to UT but I guess only stayed one year. I see her name in the high school, which the girls team has won three state championships in a row. Good program.

As a note, the Battlefield High School Girls Soccer team was the number one program in the United States this year. My daughter plays in the travel program that feeds it. Great coaches.

As a note, the Battlefield High School Girls Soccer team was the number one program in the United States this year. My daughter plays in the travel program that feeds it. Great coaches.

sign with Div.1 schools most years? Pensky is a good recruiter. This year's team should be our best overall, in terms of talent and experience, since he became coach. We lost Wilkinson--but we've got a lot of midfield talent, and we'll see if he can marshall it and win more games. He likes to play a 4-3-3 and play the ball wide in attack, which is fine but I'm not sure that formation fits the strength of this team, which will be in the middle of the field. He's got a juco striker coming in to replace Wilkinson, essentially---Jamaican girl--who has got size and skill. I'd like to see the Vols play a 4-1-4-1 or somesuch, but we'll see. I think this is a pretty important year for the program. Pensky was slow to bolster the back four in his first few years. We just haven't been good enough. Last year, after a poor start, he took two attacking players--Neal and Marcano--put them in the back, and they helped enormously. We need to stay solid defensively, show that we can score, and beat some of the big dogs that we've not been able to beat in recent years--namely, south carolina and florida. I'm looking forward to the season.

A few every year sign Div 1 schollys here. Most go somewhere. It's a great program. The rival school Patriot puts Div 1 girls out too.

international players - an off topic soccer story. Many many years back when men's soccer in the US was beginning to be noticed Clemson University "purchased" the semi-National soccer team from the leader an African country. And Clemson won the National championship. And they acquired a football kicker "to boot" pun intended. recruiting internationally in all male sports still has some of the Clemson aspects.

go LVs

international players - an off topic soccer story. Many many years back when men's soccer in the US was beginning to be noticed Clemson University "purchased" the semi-National soccer team from the leader an African country. And Clemson won the National championship. And they acquired a football kicker "to boot" pun intended. recruiting internationally in all male sports still has some of the Clemson aspects.

go LVs

play a huge role in collegiate men's soccer and tennis--we've had a bunch of tennis players from overseas--and you are beginning to see the same on the women's side, too, in the same two sports. Indeed, two of the top female soccer teams in recent years--florida state and west virginia--have had lots of international players. FSU won the national title with a team in which half the starters were international, and last year WVA almost won the title in the same way; they had at least three starters from Canada, including the team's best player, and two or three others from Europe. Our best soccer player last year was from New Zealand.

A lot of international players tend to be a little older and more experienced than their US counterparts--they might be freshmen at age 19 instead of 17 or 18, for example--and it is no accident that teams with lots of international players have done well. MOST collegiate teams have not spent much time or effort recruiting internationally--but I think you'll see more and more of them do it because they have to to remain top contenders. Women's soccer power UNC seldom recruited internationally, but their coach, Anson Dorrance, seems to be putting a new emphasis on it because of the rise of FSU. I think the NCAA should put a limit on the number of international players allowed on a roster. I'm not opposed to international players, but at the same time I don't think a U.S. collegiate teams should not have 7 or 8 internationals starting on a team with 11 players. That's a bit much. But ultimately, it may be up to the all the coaches and ADs to decide.

VN Store

Back