Think Ralph & Karen would go for this?

peachstatevolgirl

Hey, guys! Looking for a bit of insight here. Collegiate softball is just around the corner (10 days!) and I have something that I think Ralph and Karen might be interested in... Or, at least I hope so. They seem like charitable people. No, I'm not asking for a donation or a try-out for my uncle's best man's ex-girlfriend's 18U Gold stud of a pitcher. It's quite simple, really...

I coached at a small private school here in Georgia for 2.5 years before I took a full-time job. I coached alongside Allen Jordan, and he kept the program running full-steam ahead when I left. The school had never won a state championship in softball before, but that changed in 2016. "Big whoop. First state championship. Why would that interest the Weeklys?" Well, since you asked, I'll tell you. It was an incredible feat because the week before school resumed and season actually kicked off, one of their seniors, Anna Wells, died in a car crash. Now, you can imagine what such a sudden loss like that would do to anyone... Now throw in that the Lady Eagles were scheduled to play in a new conference (never played a single team from this conference, and Allen didn't know anyone to speak with to get any insight as to what to expect from any of those teams), that this is a small school where everyone is family, and Anna had been a key leader that summer, you can see why their winning a state championship was an extraordinary feat. They didn't just win, either. They dominated all season long, finishing 22-5 with at least nine of those wins coming by run-rule. They outscored their opponents 292-70 something. They played for Anna all season long.

In short, I wanted to know if you guys thought it might be worth my time to try and get in touch with someone from softball operations to see if the Vols would wear rubber bracelets in her memory as well. I would provide them at no cost... Since Anna's passing, her family has established the Anna Leigh Wells Memorial Scholarship Fund. Of course, the bracelets wouldn't promote that... But I thought when the Vols play in a televised game, the commentators might mention what the bracelets stand for, and maybe that would generate some publicity about Anna's life and the legacy she left on the game of fastpitch, and in turn, her scholarship fund. Does this sound like something the Weeklys might be willing to do? Or any other NCAA Div. I softball team? I know there are some pretty knowledgable folks here that know the ins and outs of the legalities the NCAA imposes on teams. Any insight at all would be appreciated!

I'm sorry the young woman lost her life, but why would the UT softball team wear anything for a person who has no connection to the University of Tennessee or its softball team?

Reactions: 3 people
No connection would be a no go in my opinion. If it was somebody they were recruiting, maybe but other than that, I wouldn't bother asking because I'm pretty sure you would get a "sorry, no thanks" from the University.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sorry the young woman lost her life, but why would the UT softball team wear anything for a person who has no connection to the University of Tennessee or its softball team?

You pose a good question, no doubt. I'm a huge UT fan. I guess that's where my immediate thought to approach Ralph and Karen came from. The only relation I came form between UT and Anna, now that I think about it, is DEA played Meghan Gregg's alma mater in the 2014 season and beat them to advance to the state championship. Unfortunately, that's still not much, especially considering Anna sat that season out. I guess my shot-in-the-dark effort might find a better hope of actually being fulfilled if I shifted my focus to UGA. Anna was a huge Dawg fan, and her family is UGA alumni. I just want to get the conversation started somewhere, somehow. I can't help but think the team's accomplishment could be a lesson to youngsters across the country... Play for something other than yourself and the game will pay you back in ways you can't imagine, type of thing.

No connection would be a no go in my opinion. If it was somebody they were recruiting, maybe but other than that, I wouldn't bother asking because I'm pretty sure you would get a "sorry, no thanks" from the University.

Thank you for the input. :) Suppose you and armchair are right. There is no relationship there. My Tennessee fanaticism must've taken over.

Thank you for the input. :) Suppose you and armchair are right. There is no relationship there. My Tennessee fanaticism must've taken over.

Check the roster. See if there is a player from that area of Georgia she might have known. If Anna played youth league, she may have a connection to a few individual players.

Seems that kind of thing is done more often by family, friends, or even individual opponents as opposed to teams.

Reactions: 1 person
it wouldn't hurt to ask,all they can do is say no or they may help you out,your like the rest of us,you will never know unless you ask

it would be nice when the Dawgs and Vols play a game,to see the bracelets from one team or the other

mention what a great recruiting bonus it could be for them too,you never know

and thoughts and prayers sent to Anna Wells family,I well know the impact of a car crash on a family

VN Store

Back