The last play

volfanIND

The call was questionable. I love my ladies, but HATE when refs interfere with the outcome of the game. Either way a great game! It sucks that it had to end that way but sometimes that's basketball and you move on.

If our lady vols 'show up' for the SEC tournament, this will be one of the best tournaments we've had in awhile!

Lady vols still has some work to do, but a win is a win, they HAVE to learn how to carry this forward. Too many times we've had let downs after big wins.

I think this win does two important things
#1 confidence in each other
#2 shows that our 'big three' all have to productive for us to win.

Good job ladies!

Reactions: 3 people
the refs interfered a bunch in the game with there calls,not just the end of the game,they need better officiating in the SEC,but that probably isn't going to happen

Reactions: 6 people
The call was questionable. I love my ladies, but HATE when refs interfere with the outcome of the game. Either way a great game! It sucks that it had to end that way but sometimes that's basketball and you move on.

If our lady vols 'show up' for the SEC tournament, this will be one of the best tournaments we've had in awhile!

Lady vols still has some work to do, but a win is a win, they HAVE to learn how to carry this forward. Too many times we've had let downs after big wins.

Good job ladies!

It does suck that call will overshadow the game but I will guarantee while coach Staley wasn't happy she won't blame it on one call. DBURKE said in the previous two plays how the call should have gone against SC and been TN ball but it resulted in the first of Cuevas threes in the 4th so they benefited from that call which was completely botched. It was the play when it was 69-64 and then they got the call and she hit the three to make it 69-67 our ladies regrouped after that call and did what they needed to do!

Reactions: 2 people
Nah - that was ESPN wanting it to be questionable and stir it. It was clearly a foul. Nared had the path and the USCe player kneed her leg from the side, tripping her up. As fans we are just used to officials ruling against our teams regardless of the situation. In this case they did it right.

Reactions: 6 people

Good job ladies!

The last call was a great call because,if the referee didn't call a trip fall from S.C player, he's not going to call travel because someone knocked her down. And, lots of foul referee didn't call for example, Mercedes ball was knocked out by s.c player and referee pointed the other way. That's a game, it's happen every day.Overll, great day!

Reactions: 1 person
Although I don't have a rule book in front of me, doesn't the rule say the defender cannot impede the progress of the offensive player or something like that? Clearly Nared was impeded.

As for "refs interfering with the outcome of the game", why do you think a ref has a whistle? Their job is to blow the whistle when they see a violation.

Reactions: 5 people

Good job ladies!

If the refs screw up in our favor great! GLVs !

That could have been called (as it was)...or not called...it was that close! I'll take the view that the ref called it as he saw it! Several times during the game, I thought Coates went over the back of Russell and knocked the ball out of bounds...but the ball was awarded to South Carolina. Calls usually tend to even up over the coure of a game.

Reactions: 3 people
Although I don't have a rule book in front of me, doesn't the rule say the defender cannot impede the progress of the offensive player or something like that? Clearly Nared was impeded.

As for "refs interfering with the outcome of the game", why do you think a ref has a whistle? Their job is to blow the whistle when they see a violation.

Agreed. The SC player impeded her by putting her knee into Nared's legs which caused Nared to fall. Good call and good game by the LV's.

Coates touching the ball while standing out of bounds and SC still getting the ball was a more obvious call that was blown by the officials. Those are the breaks and we finally got one.

Reactions: 10 people
Nah - that was ESPN wanting it to be questionable and stir it. It was clearly a foul. Nared had the path and the USCe player kneed her leg from the side, tripping her up. As fans we are just used to officials ruling against our teams regardless of the situation. In this case they did it right.

That's exactly what happened.. Nared did not fall on her own..I knew S.C got one of the best loaded team like TX but never a good coached team.

Let's not forget about the bad call with a little over two minutes left when Coates knocked the ball off our girl while she was standing out of bounds. Should've been our ball. They went on to score.

Reactions: 4 people
Let's not forget about the bad call with a little over two minutes left when Coates knocked the ball off our girl while she was standing out of bounds. Should've been our ball. They went on to score.

Oops. Saw that had been said already!

Good job ladies!

It was a good and valid call. As has already been mentioned, there were many calls that went against the LV's that left me scratching my head. What this win shows is that the LV's are peaking at the right time.

The ref's didn't catch the South Carolina player touching the ball from out of bounds, resulting in two more points for Carolina rather than a turnover and Tennessee taking possession. That one was arguably even more clear-cut, since her feet were out of bounds, but does anyone on TV talk about that? Noooooo, they just talk about the last call, when the earlier call could have represented a 2-4 point swing in favor of the Gamecocks.

Point being, there's plenty of calls that influence a game, not just the call on the last play.

just watch the game again...you'll get to enjoy another perspective...no pressure, this time...and, as always...

GO LADY VOLS!

If the referees weren't accountable for blowing the whistle on that foul as time was expiring, then every close game could potentially end with a blown ACL or some form of trauma due to a kamikaze defender taking out a shooter or dribble penetrator.

As some have said on VN, especially in the football and men's basketball forums, you just have to play through the calls. The LV's did and took it to the house.

There were questionable calls all evening on both sides, I was just speaking to the last one because it will be most talked about. I was watching men's duke vs ND and at half time they showed the play... wrong or right it was nice to finally see something in our favor. The game was not won/lost on that play.

As some have said on VN, especially in the football and men's basketball forums, you just have to play through the calls. The LV's did and took it to the house.

Absolutely! You have to play through the calls and not get distracted by them. Let the fans dwell on what might have been :). Players need to focus on what is and what will be.

The LV's haven't exactly gotten those type of calls the past few years especially in crunch time. I was a little worried about home cooking but in the end, the right call was made and like you said....they took it to the house!

Yep, it does not take a lot of contact to trip a player. The SC defenders caught the back of Nared's knee; that will throw a player off balance every time.

VN Store

Back