South Carolina now knows what it's like

LVJeff

South Carolina, like Notre Dame, now knows what it's like to lose to an unranked team. :dance2:

I don't know what's better...beating them or being unranked and beating them.

How about that Nared, she's got ice in her veins doesn't she? USC cornered all the players they could get, but missed the best one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I never post over here and I rarely watch LV games, so my opinion on Warlick doesn't hold any weight.

That being said I do love basketball and have a decent knowledge of the game.

I watched the 4th qtr of the game tonight and I must say (I could be wrong) Warlick was pitiful down the stretch with the game on the line. Not sure if that is representative of her, but she was awful tonight.

Reactions: 6 people
I never post over here and I rarely watch LV games, so my opinion on Warlick doesn't hold any weight.

I watched the 4th qtr of the game tonight and I must say (I could be wrong) Warlick was pitiful down the stretch with the game on the line. Not sure if that is representative of her, but she was awful tonight.

That's kind of a weird thing to say when they just snagged their best win in a decade 🤔

Reactions: 17 people
That's kind of a weird thing to say when they just snagged their best win in a decade 🤔

You can win and still be poorly coached. They were lucky to get that call at the end in order to secure the victory. Could have very well been called a travel.

Also, I said to take my post with a grain of salt. I don't watch very often, just caught the 4th qtr tonight.

Reactions: 3 people
South Carolina already knew when they lost earlier in the season to Duke before they were ranked. Duke beating South Carolina is actually what got them ranked and likely will do the same for Tennessee. In a way you could say South Carolina is helping bring parity to women's college basketball.

If you were going to use the term now they know what it feels like it should have been in reference to losing a game via free throws in the final seconds a la Miss St. I knew that was going to come back to them.

Reactions: 2 people
You can win and still be poorly coached. They were lucky to get that call at the end in order to secure the victory. Could have very well been called a travel.

Also, I said to take my post with a grain of salt. I don't watch very often, just caught the 4th qtr tonight.

They had to get to the 4th quarter - too bad you did not see the first three. I thought this was the best game plan I have seen out of a LV team in a long time - from the opening tip it was obvious the plan was to take it to their big girls and get them in foul trouble and it worked to perfection. I agree we started to play to win a little too early, but to beat a top 5 team on the road for the first time in 10 years is a great night any way you look at it !

Reactions: 8 people

Yea you missed all the play calls that had us up by 11 and got their bigs in trouble which was awesome play calling. Holly herself said that her team had a lapse in judgement letting Cuevas get that shot off... but overall decently called game and holly called the out of bounds play to get nared the ball cleanly. She also made the good call to put Alexa in to run the baseline because they couldn't sag off her in the waning minutes of the game. But welcome aboard !

Reactions: 1 person
Yea you missed all the play calls that had us up by 11 and got their bigs in trouble which was awesome play calling. Holly herself said that her team had a lapse in judgement letting Cuevas get that shot off... but overall decently called game and holly called the out of bounds play to get nared the ball cleanly. She also made the good call to put Alexa in to run the baseline because they couldn't sag off her in the waning minutes of the game. But welcome aboard !

I will defer to you and the other regular's judgement. I'll have to start watching more games. I will say it was very exciting and had me on edge. I'm a big follower of the men's team, and I was sold on the ladies team tonight.

Always nice to see the Vols win.

I thought SC benefitted from the refs calls in the Miss State game. So if the last call WAS botched, it bothers me not at all. The TV people pointed out several bad calls (don't even talk about the mugging Mercedes got) that went against us, so no pity if it was a mistake (I didn't think it was. I don't think the SC player was TRYING to trip Nared, but she did run into her.)

Last edited:

so, this is your first time...I'll be gentle...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had to get to the 4th quarter - too bad you did not see the first three. I thought this was the best game plan I have seen out of a LV team in a long time - from the opening tip it was obvious the plan was to take it to their big girls and get them in foul trouble and it worked to perfection. I agree we started to play to win a little too early, but to beat a top 5 team on the road for the first time in 10 years is a great night any way you look at it !
"To beat a ranked team in the road..." we used to do that every month!!! That's how far we've fallen!!

That's kind of a weird thing to say when they just snagged their best win in a decade 🤔[/QUOTE

The wrong people had the ball in their hands trying to make plays when SC was making the run. I don't know if she did or didnt but she shouldve relayed the message to not give up a three which was really common sense and they should already know a 2 pointer doesn't hurt them.

Give their girl credit she hit two big threes in last minute. As far as last play the ref is in tough position. SC player had her hand in Nared back which is a foul then with her momentum she go's to the floor a foul but if he does not call that foul he has to award SC with the ball on walking call. He made the right choice because one was a violation one was not because of contact.

Says the person with almost 3,000 posts. If you're gonna be negative don't try to sweeten us up with words.

I actually thought Holly did a much better job at game management than Dawn did. We were up by 11 with 4 minutes. We needed to use all 30 seconds of our shot clock on every possession, and we did. We still got a couple of good looks that just didn't go down, but it was the right people taking shots. With SC having the best post game in the country it was easily known that they would dump the ball to Coates and Wilson every time. Dawn REALLY misused her timeouts, wasting her last one with 1 minute left right after Tenn just used one. After Jaime made the last 2 free throws, a TO was needed because Cuevas was unaware that the posts should have gotten the last shot.

South Carolina, like Notre Dame, now knows what it's like to lose to an unranked team. :dance2:

I don't know what's better...beating them or being unranked and beating them.

How about that Nared, she's got ice in her veins doesn't she? USC cornered all the players they could get, but missed the best one.

we are far more talented than all other unranked teams, I think everyone would agree. Big difference...

So, you actually don't know how she coached on the night do you.You can only comment on the last stretch when they were trying to slow the game down to protect the lead.

But, hey just blithely dismiss the other 38 minutes of the game where the LVs took control and out played the #4 on their home court. To your caveat, "I could be wrong," actually, there is no "could" about it. You are wrong and drawing conclusion without necessary knowledge (you know, that you gain from actually watching the game).

When the LVs slowed the game, their offensive execution did suffer. I said myself that slowing the game seemed to break their momentum. However, that is not bad coaching decision; that is reasonable coaching decision that did not pan out and that can be in hindsight condemned.

Let's say the LVs had played fast in the last two minutes but missed shots and allowed SC to get more possessions and maybe some fast break opportunities.

I suspect you would be posting about how it is coaching 101 to "milk the clock" when you have a decent lead in the last 2:00 minutes and Holly was just terrible for not slowing the game down and so forth.

Reactions: 9 people
So, you actually don't know how she coached on the night do you.You can only comment on the last stretch when they were trying to slow the game down to protect the lead.

But, hey just blithely dismiss the other 38 minutes of the game where the LVs took control and out played the #4 on their home court. To your caveat, "I could be wrong," actually, there is no "could" about it. You are wrong and drawing conclusion without necessary knowledge (you know, that you gain from actually watching the game).

When the LVs slowed the game, their offensive execution did suffer. I said myself that slowing the game seemed to break their momentum. However, that is not bad coaching decision; that is reasonable coaching decision that did not pan out and that can be in hindsight condemned.

Let's say the LVs had played fast in the last two minutes but missed shots and allowed SC to get more possessions and maybe some fast break opportunities.

I suspect you would be posting about how it is coaching 101 to "milk the clock" when you have a decent lead in the last 2:00 minutes and Holly was just terrible for not slowing the game down and so forth.

Boom. Roasted. This - all day long!

Well said, madtownvol! 👍🏻

Reactions: 4 people

That's another like for you!

VN Store

Back