Diamond Looked Like Diamond Against Florida

teacherdean

Diamond look like she wanted this game. Overall the game should have never been that close. Russell played like her mind was in Oregon. She had balls taken away from her, was blocked several times. In crunch time she acted like, several times, as if she was in the stands. I know some people say that the reason Russell is not aggressive is because of our short bench and we would be in trouble if she fouled out, well in crounch time, when she only has two fouls she might want to think about becoming aggressive. On several plays, with four minutes to go, she made few efforts to block out or get a rebound. It is pathetic that against Florida she only had 5 rebounds. There are other teams with short benches, however, that does not seem to stop their star players from being aggressive, especially at crunch time. We are fortunate we won this one down the stretch and 4 out of 5 players were hustling.

Holly's subbing techniques could use a little work. I love Middleton but her defense sucks.

Reactions: 2 people
Holly's substitution technique is questionable, but I don't think she has many good sub options sitting on her bench this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Holly's substitution technique is questionable, but I don't think she has many good sub options sitting on her bench this year.

Sorry folks for the double post. My smart phone arbitrarily changes words that I type in.

Last edited:
Seems like holly would get it but she doesnt. Let the starters at least play thru the quarter, especially if they have the big lead and momentum. Why fix something that isnt broke? Like another poster said, if you have to bring middleton in, sub her in for meme

Seems like holly would get it but she doesnt. Let the starters at least play thru the quarter, especially if they have the big lead and momentum. Why fix something that isnt broke? Like another poster said, if you have to bring middleton in, sub her in for meme

Agree 100. Sure hope Reynolds injury won't cause her to miss the next game.

...and we won...:pepper::pepper::pepper::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
One of Diamond's most complete games we have seen!

And you are right, MR faded away.

I thought AMidd's defense was better. She got several steals,and caused some good things to happen.

She has Nunn, Alexa, Kortney and Kamera.

They all should be in every single game that the LVs play. Holly is purposely making her bench that much smaller by not playing two players that she recruited.

The reason is evident on why they don't get playing time.

Holly is not a good coach.

Reactions: 3 people

Sorry folks for the double post. My smart phone arbitrarily changes words that I type in.

Trust me I understand texting messages with cell phone.

She has Nunn, Alexa, Kortney and Kamera.

They all should be in every single game that the LVs play. Holly is purposely making her bench that much smaller by not playing two players that she recruited.

The reason is evident on why they don't get playing time.

Holly is not a good coach.

You have no idea what goes on in practice and such

Nice, one token sentence on Diamond having an absolutely stellar game and then a rant on how crappy the LVs really were in beating FL on the road.

Well done.....

Reactions: 7 people
Florida mugged Russell all game

Could be true but she has to be able to play through that. Brittany Griner got mugged a lot and still was able to get hers. Russell can't allow the contact (or fear of it) force her to not want to play in the paint (rebound/block shots) we need her and her size and she is no good to us at 6'6" playing as if she is 5'4". Rebounding is a want to/desire and she either wants the ball (rebound) or she doesn't.

You have no idea what goes on in practice and such

First things first.

Congrats, Lady Vols. Didn't see the game, but sounds like a great overall effort.

Congrats, Holly & staff.

Now to an old adage: You play like you practice.

Bottom line: LV offense has had poor ball movement for years. No, we don't know what goes on in practice. All we can judge by is what we see during games.

We don't see the practices of opponents, either, but we don't hesitate to judge them (and their coaches) by the production on the court. Especially over a period of time.

And if it's lack of bench support...who did the recruiting?

If it's lack of cooperation & implementing game plans...who did the recruiting?

If it's lack of effort...who did the recruiting?

The buck has to stop somewhere. Generally the head coach soaks up the bulk of the credit for wins...and losses (along with the style of play).

Let's see a single LV team play consistently hard & efficiently from beginning of season to end...with improvement throughout (barring injuries) and noticeable player development...and criticism of HW will diminish rapidly. No one expects perfection, but we're a long ways off from that.

The proof is in the puddin', as they say. If the team improves (a few stumbles here & there are to be expected), all good & well. LV fans are smart enough & well-versed enough to know what to look for. And, by and large, most have been patient over the last five years, knowing that taking over for Pat was not a job that anyone would envy.

Cautious optimism might be the best one can expect from many fans in order to avoid heartbreak each year. We've already made a major adjustment after being accustomed to Final Four expectations each year. Ten years is a lifetime in LV terms.

Anyway, hoping that a corner has been turned (again) and stays on that path. And continues next season even with growing pains of young'uns arriving.

I feel better now.

I was solely referring to why the players he mentioned don't play more.
First things first.

Congrats, Lady Vols. Didn't see the game, but sounds like a great overall effort.

Congrats, Holly & staff.

Now to an old adage: You play like you practice.

Bottom line: LV offense has had poor ball movement for years. No, we don't know what goes on in practice. All we can judge by is what we see during games.

We don't see the practices of opponents, either, but we don't hesitate to judge them (and their coaches) by the production on the court. Especially over a period of time.

And if it's lack of bench support...who did the recruiting?

If it's lack of cooperation & implementing game plans...who did the recruiting?

If it's lack of effort...who did the recruiting?

The buck has to stop somewhere. Generally the head coach soaks up the bulk of the credit for wins...and losses (along with the style of play).

Let's see a single LV team play consistently hard & efficiently from beginning of season to end...with improvement throughout (barring injuries) and noticeable player development...and criticism of HW will diminish rapidly. No one expects perfection, but we're a long ways off from that.

The proof is in the puddin', as they say. If the team improves (a few stumbles here & there are to be expected), all good & well. LV fans are smart enough & well-versed enough to know what to look for. And, by and large, most have been patient over the last five years, knowing that taking over for Pat was not a job that anyone would envy.

Cautious optimism might be the best one can expect from many fans in order to avoid heartbreak each year. We've already made a major adjustment after being accustomed to Final Four expectations each year. Ten years is a lifetime in LV terms.

Anyway, hoping that a corner has been turned (again) and stays on that path. And continues next season even with growing pains of young'uns arriving.

I feel better now.

Could be true but she has to be able to play through that. Brittany Griner got mugged a lot and still was able to get hers. Russell can't allow the contact (or fear of it) force her to not want to play in the paint (rebound/block shots) we need her and her size and she is no good to us at 6'6" playing as if she is 5'4". Rebounding is a want to/desire and she either wants the ball (rebound) or she doesn't.

See I think Russell is having a great season. Btw to me Griner underachieved in college, and still doesn't rebound as a pro

See I think Russell is having a great season. Btw to me Griner underachieved in college, and still doesn't rebound as a pro

She underachieved because she chose the wrong school/post coach! look at how different she played under Geno compared to Mulkey and Brondello (her WNBA coach) and you'd see the dominance, so players need a certain type of coach to bring it out of them

DD could be a lot better player if she can get her consistency down pat

she had a good game,but I am waiting on her to have great games every night

we all know she has it in her

now bring it out DD

I know she will :)

Last edited:
That Florida game showcased Diamond Deshields skill level. She played like the best player on the floor. She wasn't about to lose that game.

Can't wait to see more of that!

GODiamondDeShields!:)

VN Store

Back