Game Thread Lady Vols at Florida

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 1 person
Maybe we can ask Florida if we can wear our white unis and see if that makes a difference.

We have the better team and both teams have a short bench. In our case, it will depend upon which team of ours shows up. The Lady Gators got ripped by Mississippi State but played a good game against Auburn. I fear that the Lady Vols will lose their focus and their aggression and make this a harder game than it needs to be. We could easily win this game or make it a toss up.

This is a terrible road team.They should win easily against a team that is a shade better than Vandy but will they ?

Florida lacks the weapons and the size to challenge Tennesssee. Losing the Greek girl really killed them. They would have been a top 5 SEC team if she hadn't taken her ball and gone back to Greece. LV by 15.

As many point out, the Florida game will most likely come down to whether the LV's are focused. When they use their talent and focus on playing, they can be formidable. When they don't, you get Ole Miss and Auburn type results. It's getting late in the season so if they are going to go on a run, yesterday was a good start. The bench must contribute significantly.

I need to get my hiney to Tractor Supply to get a new Justin Morgan hat before the game. I think the mojo has run out of my last hat.

I wore it during the game that the Cowboys lost to the Green Bay cheaters. :( :idea:

Last edited:
As many point out, the Florida game will most likely come down to whether the LV's are focused. When they use their talent and focus on playing, they can be formidable. When they don't, you get Ole Miss and Auburn type results. It's getting late in the season so if they are going to go on a run, yesterday was a good start. The bench must contribute significantly.

I think you're selling Ole Miss and Auburn short. Tennessee lost to those teams because they got exposed by matchup difficulties. A team like Vandy could never do that because there was nothing to exploit. They're just a bad team. It's easy to focus on playing when there's absolutely nothing the other team can do to hurt you.

The bigger challenge is can they come up with a counter plan against teams that can attack them. Obviously they can...They did it against ND. But they can't do it consistently as evidenced by the games sandwiched around ND.

They are fortunate that the SEC is as weak as they are this season, because there are very few teams in the league that have the personnel to trouble Tennessee. Other than SC and MS, the only remaining teams that should have the potential to be tricky are TAMU and Alabama. If they lose to anyone else...shame on them.

I think you're selling Ole Miss and Auburn short. Tennessee lost to those teams because they got exposed by matchup difficulties. A team like Vandy could never do that because there was nothing to exploit. They're just a bad team. It's easy to focus on playing when there's absolutely nothing the other team can do to hurt you.

The bigger challenge is can they come up with a counter plan against teams that can attack them. Obviously they can...They did it against ND. But they can't do it consistently as evidenced by the games sandwiched around ND.

They are fortunate that the SEC is as weak as they are this season, because there are very few teams in the league that have the personnel to trouble Tennessee. Other than SC and MS, the only remaining teams that should have the potential to be tricky are TAMU and Alabama. If they lose to anyone else...shame on them.
How is he selling Ole Miss and Auburn short? Who have they beat that's a decent team besides us? Nobody. Auburn beat Vandy by 6 so I don't think it puts them at a much higher level.

It was not my intention to sell anyone short. I value all wins. I think on any given night, teams like Auburn, Ole Miss and Vandy can play well enough to beat a better team that is not playing well at the time. I've seen in state rivalries get pretty strange. While it is just my opinion, I think the LV's have lost several of the games because they were unfocused and did not execute the game plan. What caused the lack of focus is a debatable topic in an of itself.

How is he selling Ole Miss and Auburn short? Who have they beat that's a decent team besides us? Nobody. Auburn beat Vandy by 6 so I don't think it puts them at a much higher level.

Because the reason that Ole Miss and Auburn beat Tennessee had something to do with the personnel on each team or the way that play that can create problems. Ole Miss had attacking guards and post players with size that could limit Russell's effectiveness. Auburn also has guards that can attack and score, and are known for playing high pressure defense. They are one of the top teams in the nation in forcing turnovers. These are the kinds of teams that Tennessee can't just beat by showing up...which is exactly what they did when they beat Vandy on the road a few weeks ago.

Because the reason that Ole Miss and Auburn beat Tennessee had something to do with the personnel on each team or the way that play that can create problems. Ole Miss had attacking guards and post players with size that could limit Russell's effectiveness. Auburn also has guards that can attack and score, and are known for playing high pressure defense. They are one of the top teams in the nation in forcing turnovers. These are the kinds of teams that Tennessee can't just beat by showing up...which is exactly what they did when they beat Vandy on the road a few weeks ago.
So you're saying those teams play a different style of ball and it takes effort to beat them and not just showing up. Umm.. that's what we were saying. If we were mismatched against Auburn and Ole Miss then according to your logic Vandy should really be overwhelmed when they play Auburn because they couldn't even keep with our plodders but they only beat Vandy by 6. None of them are good teams but Vandy has the best win of the bunch so in my opinion they are not that much worse then the 2 we lost to so that's why I'm calling Vandy a good, not great win.

So you're saying those teams play a different style of ball and it takes effort to beat them and not just showing up. Umm.. that's what we were saying. If we were mismatched against Auburn and Ole Miss then according to your logic Vandy should really be overwhelmed when they play Auburn because they couldn't even keep with our plodders but they only beat Vandy by 6. None of them are good teams but Vandy has the best win of the bunch so in my opinion they are not that much worse then the 2 we lost to so that's why I'm calling Vandy a good, not great win.

Well, it does seem like a Catch-22. I think it is true, though, that Vandy lacked the athletes to put pressure on the LVs, the way that Auburn did; and that fact is evident from how the game was played. Vandy never tried to press the LVs. Having said that, had Auburn been able to get open from the 3 pt. line (and perimeter coverage has a been liability for the Lvs in the past), they could have created some problems.

And it is true that Middleton was not matched up against strong defenders but she hit open shots, whereas she had been missing her open looks.

So, from A,M to the rebounding effort, it was a better overall game.

The Ole Miss loss was just a lack of effort . I watched the game we really didn't expend a lot of energy except for catching up in the second quarter.
If we can't play against a press then florida will stomp us too. The fact that we failed against the Auburn press is a lack of coaching as no one but Holly would have left Reynolds to fend for herself against a trap and anyone else would have committed four players or all five to get to the front court even if you have to play a slowdown game.
What I saw was that we could destroy Auburn inside so why we we trying to push so hard and turn the ball over. Set up in the half court and take their smaller players to the basket. 22 turnovers were committed because we failed to make the adjustment to the way we needed to play.

Reactions: 3 people
If we did not learn from the Auburn game get ready for another loss at Florida. I suspect they will hit us with the trap and press and we have to make the adjustment no matter how many players it takes to get the ball in frontcourt.

Florida lacks the weapons and the size to challenge Tennesssee. Losing the Greek girl really killed them. They would have been a top 5 SEC team if she hadn't taken her ball and gone back to Greece. LV by 15.

Size doesn't matter against the LVs. Hello Auburn? The other 6 teams that the LVs lost to I would suffice that TN had the height advantage. CHW is not a good enough coach to make adjustments or have a sound game plan in order to use the height advantage at her disposal to have success. Last season and this season is a testament to that.

With that being said. After TN's power play with all LVs getting playing time against Vanderbilt they looked like a team that should beat Florida handedly.

But we've been down that road before. No pregame predictions from me.

I'm just hoping for a fast fun filled game with the LVs coming out on top. One game at a time and hope for the best. It's been like that going on two years now. :crazy:

GOLadyVols!:)

Well crappers! My trip up to see the LV crush the fl gatorettes is in peril.

I was getting ready to do some planting this morning and needed a wheelbarrow tire pumped up with air. Reaching down to air it up, I pulled something in my back and now I can hardly move. Even sitting in my fav chair is painful.

This is not the first problem I've had with this damn back of mine but hadn't happened in a long time.

:(

VN Store

Back