Game Thread Lady Vols at Auburn

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 2 people
It is a road game can we break through and win one on the road. They are far better than Vandy, ETSU, and James Madison our only road wins.

Massey has the LadyVols winning by 2.5 pts. I'm praying that the LadyVols come out focused and ready to play for 40mins!! If they play anything like they played in the 4th qrtr against ND, it'll definitely be a blowout!

GBO!! 🍊🍊

Reactions: 2 people
Good test to see if effort will translate to the road.

Setting discussion of positives/negatives of Warlick & staff's coaching strategies for a moment, Holly often has a curious way of putting things (yes, she's under intense scrutiny every time she passes gas, but still....).

Here's a comment from article about upcoming game:

"That's never going to be far from our mind, just the power of the SEC and the quality of the teams," Warlick said. "You can lose on any given night. I'd be shocked if we took Auburn lightly because we've gone through that and we've experienced that."

IMO, head coaches...especially those under fire...need to understand the nuances of their words & how they will be perceived. Saying, "I'd be shocked if we took Auburn lightly..." not only doesn't project confidence in the team & the prep for the game, it also implies that she can't read her players. Yes, she's often said just that in the past (expressing puzzlement & dismay at lack of effort while saying that practice effort was great, etc.), but at this point in the season, it would appear to be more effective to at least give a public image that she expects great effort & renewed team commitment.

This may be perceived as just another knock against Holly, but it's part of a puzzling pattern of statements since she took over. Maybe she's just being honest and not playing the "coach-speak" game with the usual canned comments that coaches give, but I'd still prefer to hear a more positive outlook from the ol' ball coach. Not cockiness or fake rah-rah, but just a determined outlook not to look back.

In other words, a continuation of the "failure is not an option" attitude.

:dunno:

Reactions: 1 person
twenty lashes for a loss would be an incentive to get the staff to coach better and players to play better...just a thought...innovation is the key...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll know a lot in the first quarter. If we come out like we did against Ole Miss we'll lose another road game. We have to fight for rebounds and pressure on defense because we probably want shoot as well as we did against Notre Dame. That was a fluke not our usual shooting percentage. Very seldom do we shoot 45 percent more like 37.

Auburn clobbered Ole Miss 86-60 on Jan. 8th.

Ouch!!! The ladies will have to bring their A game every night no matter who we play. If Holly leaves Middleton in for too many minutes it will cost us points on the defensive side.

Put Dunbar and Nunn in at the same time and give Mercedes and MeMe a rest.

Ouch!!! The ladies will have to bring their A game every night no matter who we play. If Holly leaves Middleton in for too many minutes it will cost us points on the defensive side.

Put Dunbar and Nunn in at the same time and give Mercedes and MeMe a rest.

Will it be Lady Jekyll or Lady Hyde for this game or will it change ever quarter and/or half?

I'll know a lot in the first quarter. If we come out like we did against Ole Miss we'll lose another road game. We have to fight for rebounds and pressure on defense because we probably want shoot as well as we did against Notre Dame. That was a fluke not our usual shooting percentage. Very seldom do we shoot 45 percent more like 37.

Auburn also plays zone better than most teams out there. That's their go-to defense. They also have quick guards and streaky shooters.

They don't have size inside, so if Tennessee can comfortably get the ball to Russell, that should make for a straightforward win.

Setting discussion of positives/negatives of Warlick & staff's coaching strategies for a moment, Holly often has a curious way of putting things (yes, she's under intense scrutiny every time she passes gas, but still....).

"That's never going to be far from our mind, just the power of the SEC and the quality of the teams," Warlick said. "You can lose on any given night. I'd be shocked if we took Auburn lightly because we've gone through that and we've experienced that."

IMO, head coaches...especially those under fire...need to understand the nuances of their words & how they will be perceived. Saying, "I'd be shocked if we took Auburn lightly..." not only doesn't project confidence in the team & the prep for the game, it also implies that she can't read her players. Yes, she's often said just that in the past (expressing puzzlement & dismay at lack of effort while saying that practice effort was great, etc.), but at this point in the season, it would appear to be more effective to at least give a public image that she expects great effort & renewed team commitment.

This may be perceived as just another knock against Holly, but it's part of a puzzling pattern of statements since she took over. Maybe she's just being honest and not playing the "coach-speak" game with the usual canned comments that coaches give, but I'd still prefer to hear a more positive outlook from the ol' ball coach. Not cockiness or fake rah-rah, but just a determined outlook not to look back.

creekdipper, Holly expects excellence from her players. However, she lacks the ability to demand and exact excellence from them.

You ever read any of Pat Summitt's comments about any of her teams?

You ever read any of Pat Summitt's comments about any of her teams?

Yup.

I don't ever recall a "Fire Pat" movement going on, however.

I read 30 years of comments from Summitt, ranging from extensive praise (rare) to scathing critique (what some would today call "throwing the team under the bus") including calling individual players (and units) soft, lacking heart, lazy, etc.

But Holly is, by her own account, dealing with an enigma of a team with fragile egos & team chemistry & bruised confidence. Holly is also under fire from a vocal contingent due to circumstances that are at least partly her own making (recruiting shutout, questionable sideline decisions, and statements acknowledging an ignorance of the cause of problems or their solutions).

Mike K. was on the hot seat his early years at Duke, but few fans are going to call for his ouster in a lean year. Some coaches have built a legacy of good will & trust over a career. Summitt, Saban, Wooden, Bryant, and others had that.

Warlick doesn't. Not as a head coach...yet.

My point is that Warlick has to measure every statement against expectations and perceptions. In hindsight, maybe her statement isn't that bad (I get the gist of what she is saying is positive...it's just that she expresses herself so awkwardly at times that she makes herself an easy target).

I guess it is nitpicking considering some of the other stuff she's said. I just think that she needs to run every public statement through a PR person to see how it's going to fly. Let's face it...Holly may be a really solid coach, but she has to be one of the worst public speakers in major college basketball (men's or women's).

If she can get her teams to produce good results, I don't care if she mumbles incoherently.

Go Lady Vols!

This is like a completely different Tennessee team. If they keep playing like this, then I'd be worried if I'm the rest of the SEC.

Sorry to say this: First play for Middleton on defense, she let someone drives for a layup. Great 1st quarter tho!

VN Store

Back