Lady Vols picked fifth in SEC in softball.

Volfan2012

UT Picked to Finish Fifth in SEC Preseason Poll - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Probably because the pitching is young and suspect. I think we can hit with any team in the league. Still to be determined how well the pitching does.

12370198.jpeg

pitching is a question mark,hopefully somebody will take the lead spot early in the season

Friday, Feb. 10th is the first game

pitching is a question mark,hopefully somebody will take the lead spot early in the season

Friday, Feb. 10th is the first game

Isn't Ralph really, really high on his pitchers this year? I thought he was, but he also said 'young and have to do it against the big girls now' type comment.

Go Lady Vols!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't looked into softball much Smallvol,to be honest

I need to pick it up,it won't be long at all now :)

I haven't looked into softball much Smallvol,to be honest

I need to pick it up,it won't be long at all now :)

I'm trying to learn something about it...over my head right now. LVJ explained some of the terminology to me last year:). A few years ago, UT wanted us to endow at least a partial for the SB program (per them WBB is funded), but we got very uneasy about what was going on in the AD and decided not to put out the money. So far, seeing how things have gone, we feel it was a good decision. And knowing nothing about the sport makes the "warm and cozy" feeling hard to come. Have met Ralph and Karen and were very impressed!

it takes a bit to get into full softball mode

but I am looking forward to this year

hopefully we will get more streams early this year,hopefully :)

5th sounds just right....Florida will be tough they may not be able to hit a lick this year but man they return all three pitchers....We should be fine pitching wise this year and defense will be back to normal after not being up to Ralph and Karen standard the past few years

5th sounds just right....Florida will be tough they may not be able to hit a lick this year but man they return all three pitchers....We should be fine pitching wise this year and defense will be back to normal after not being up to Ralph and Karen standard the past few years

Pretty much agree. Pitching is always the key IMHO and with Matty Moss the only returning pitcher we are still suspect. She is a sophomore and she is still learning the college and sec strike zone but she will be fine. The freshman Arnold is full of potential but big jump from HS to Sec. I know of one pitcher that is a sophmore transfer I think from the Missouri area and may be another I cant remember right now. Defense will be much better if we can lock 3rd base and 1st base down and I think we can with the new ladies. Outfield will be one of the fastest we have had in a long time with the new ladies possessing much needed speed. Catcher is solid and has depth . Since we have Florida and Alabama at home I think but we do have to go to LSU, Kentucky and Texas AM. We will know a little more once we get to the Mary Nutter tournament. I am ready for them go get started!!! :bash:

I will be at both the Troy Cox Classic in NM and the Mary Nutter tournament in CA. I literally cannot wait. Last season was a bit of a disappointment, but I hope this team surprises us a bit.

I wonder who gave A&M their lone first place vote??

And don't forget:
The 2017 SEC Softball Tournament will take place May 10-13 at the Sherri Parker Lee Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn.

I actually enjoy the heck out of womens softball. It's a great game. I think it's gaining interest as well. Would like to see a better showing from the Vols though. Maybe this year.

Agree .As others have posted pitching is the challenge.If one of the freshman pitchers come thru then it may be a horse of a different color....or even a different horse.

Agree .As others have posted pitching is the challenge.If one of the freshman pitchers come thru then it may be a horse of a different color....or even a different horse.

Maybe it takes another year of development and maturation, but at some point I expect Moss to be a very dominant pitcher.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe that fans will be pleasantly surprised by this season. The offense may be the best we have seen in a while and will take some of the pressure off the pitchers. The pitchers will get better as the season progresses. The defense should be better as well. It's the defense that concerns me but then, I'm the eternal optimist and we have the coaching to develop players so I expect another great year. It should be fun to watch.

Looking over our SEC schedule it's not bad to start but that finish is brutal....Alabama, Florida, LSU, A&M and only Florida and Bama at home...LSU returns all 3 of their top pitchers, Florida returns all their top pitchers, Bama returns their top two pitchers....geez man what a stretch to end the season before hosting the SEC tourney

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back