Holly Warlick Press Conference - Notre Dame

I just posted this comment on another thread but it fits much better here; sorry for the repetition:

In one section of her press conference, Holly talks about how she had mixed feelings about their last practice before the game--she thought the team practiced well for the first hour and very poorly in the second. She then ask the team which team was going to show up for the ND game and that she was happy when they all said "the first hour team."

I must say that reflection is informative and sheds some light on the team's enigmatic personality.

I do think there is much truth to the ole saying that your play the way you practice. And if this team can't maintain its focus during a 2 hour practice, I guess it is not surprising that they can't maintain intensity over an entire game.

That lack of discipline and focus ultimately comes back to the coaches (the buck stops there) but it is also a failing on the players' part as well.

The reality seems to be that Holly is not able to instill the necessary accountability in players, though she might fine on many other dimensions. And this is not just about being "hard" on players (after all, Holly did pull the classic kick them out of the locker room move) but getting them to accept responsibility for getting better everyday and attending to all the details that separate winners from also rans.

A coach like Holly desperately needs a player who can be a vocal team leader and demand that kind of accountability (and in some ways, players probably respond more to a respected peer than a coach anyway).

In the last of the LVs glory days, Nicky Anosike played that role. More recently, Cierra Burdick seemed to be the team leader. I am not sure the LVs have had such a player since. None of the current LVs seem to have that persona of being able to demand accountability.

I think the culture of accountability started slipping a bit during the end of Pat's run, when her illness began to take its toll. I think a little of the resurgence the LVs had in Holly's first 2 season had a lot do with the senior leadership helping her keep the team focused and on track.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Holly needs to get on the team before the Auburn game and stress how important it is to play hard for 40 minutes. If they come out flat on the road need a timeout right away we need to win a road game against a good team.

I just posted this comment on another thread but it fits much better here; sorry for the repetition:

In one section of her press conference, Holly talks about how she had mixed feelings about their last practice before the game--she thought the team practiced well for the first hour and very poorly in the second. She then ask the team which team was going to show up for the ND game and that she was happy when they all said "the first hour team."

I must say that reflection is informative and sheds some light on the team's enigmatic personality.

I do think there is much truth to the ole saying that your play the way you practice. And if this team can't maintain its focus during a 2 hour practice, I guess it is not surprising that they can't maintain intensity over an entire game.

That lack of discipline and focus ultimately comes back to the coaches (the buck stops there) but it is also a failing on the players' part as well.

The reality seems to be that Holly is not able to instill the necessary accountability in players, though she might fine on many other dimensions. And this is not just about being "hard" on players (after all, Holly did pull the classic kick them out of the locker room move) but getting them to accept responsibility for getting better everyday and attending to all the details that separate winners from also rans.

A coach like Holly desperately needs a player who can be a vocal team leader and demand that kind of accountability (and in some ways, players probably respond more to a respected peer than a coach anyway).

In the last of the LVs glory days, Nicky Anosike played that role. More recently, Cierra Burdick seemed to be the team leader. I am not sure the LVs have had such a player since. None of the current LVs seem to have that persona of being able to demand accountability.

I think the culture of accountability started slipping a bit during the end of Pat's run, when her illness started to take its toll. I think a little of the resurgence the LVs had in Holly's first 2 season had a lot do with the senior leadership helping her keep the team focused and on track.

Madtown,

I agree 100% with the first part of your statement,"A coach like Holly desperately needs a player who can be a vocal team leader and demand that kind of accountability (and in some ways, players probably respond more to a respected peer than a coach anyway)." However, I do not agree with the second part. UCONN wins whether there is a respected peer team leader or not due to Geno's coaching.

I hope that you are not getting ticked of at me for always bringing up Geno. However, he is the gold standard for WCBB coaching. Please forgive me and bear with me if you find my comments a little disagreeable.

I agree, madtownvol.

As for the ol' "kick 'em out of their palatial locker room until they earn the right to be there again" routine? Well, 10-15 years ago it was a novel idea. Now it just feels dated and petty and, yes, a little silly.

Surely the staff could come up with some fresh ideas to motivate the players if they tried really hard. Maybe they're the ones who need to be thrown out of their offices until they do it!

Seriously.

Reactions: 2 people

I think the culture of accountability started slipping a bit during the end of Pat's run, when her illness began to take its toll. I think a little of the resurgence the LVs had in Holly's first 2 season had a lot do with the senior leadership helping her keep the team focused and on track.

The saying is as old as the game itself..."TEAMS PRACTICE, LIKE THEY PLAY"

Madtown,

I agree 100% with the first part of your statement,"A coach like Holly desperately needs a player who can be a vocal team leader and demand that kind of accountability (and in some ways, players probably respond more to a respected peer than a coach anyway)." However, I do not agree with the second part. UCONN wins whether there is a respected peer team leader or not due to Geno's coaching.

I hope that you are not getting ticked of at me for always bringing up Geno. However, he is the gold standard for WCBB coaching. Please forgive me and bear with me if you find my comments a little disagreeable.

Not at all. I am not a Geno fan (in fact I am the opposite) but what he has accomplished over the last 15 years is remarkable.

I agree, madtownvol.

As for the ol' "kick 'em out of their palatial locker room until they earn the right to be there again" routine? Well, 10-15 years ago it was a novel idea. Now it just feels dated and petty and, yes, a little silly.

Surely the staff could come up with some fresh ideas to motivate the players if they tried really hard. Maybe they're the ones who need to be thrown out of their offices until they do it!

Seriously.

I agree, don't make excuses for why the team lacks focus, dedication, etc, you are the coach, own it!

Agree!!!!! Nicky and Cierra came to my mind first thing as well.

What's with Warlick and her hoedown shirts?

Maybe she likes them? That would be my guess.

I guess on top of everything else she has to worry about, she now has to judged for her taste in clothing. Me? I'd rather she feel comfortable and not spend precious time and energy pleasing the Project Runway fans.

But that's just me. :blink:

Reactions: 5 people
If Holly can put this team back on track she can wear hoedown shirts or dress like the clown at Baylor, I personally could careless about what she wears.

VN Store

Back