I wish this board would blow up after wins

madtownvol

Oh my, had the Lvs not accomplished a comeback victory, this board would have 100+ new threads all making the same point- Holly must go; the program is dead: BOYCOTT the LVs and on and on.

After a major win, it's more or less quiet on the western front with a few posters still wanting to make really tired jabs about how Holly scratches her head and puts her hands on her hips.

[This obsession with Holly's mannerism is just weird. Many coaches have their quirks; Muffet squatted through whole game; Kim Mulkey is a total basket case on the sidelines and Geno is a just a jerk. Everyone is quirky].

Holly made some good adjustments particularly in recognizing that ND was not defending us very well when our slashing players attacked the basket. Though the announcers, even Kara, kept insisting the Mercedes must touch the ball on every possession, it worked to the LVs advantage to have Diamond, Jamie, and Jordan go at the ND defenders when they had a driving lane. {I am not sure why ND did not play more zone and pack the paint since the LVs are not much of threat from outside but...)

The LVs made some excellent defensive adjustments in the 2nd half and stopped letting ND get easy baskets on back cuts. There 2nd half was an impressive defensive display.

One bright spot is that LVs got this win without firing on all cylinders.

Diamond had her best game of the season 20pts. 4 assists and only TO.

Jordan was definitely in her A zone.

Mercedes was solid but she could have had a bigger impact, particularly in the 1st half when ND started to pull away

Jamie, though she hit the game winner, was not playing at her best.

Nunn did well in her time.

Middleton made one great play -- the pass to Nunn but committed TOs and defensive mistakes and missed open shots.

I give credit to Meme for hitting 2 big 3 (and one being very clutch with the game on the line) but overall she can play better as well.

But the overall team defense in the 2nd defense and some decent shooting did just enough to get the LVs their biggest win in quite some time.

I am not convinced about the "this is a win the team can build on" which was said after the Stanford and Ky wins.

This LV team can come out and shoot 33% for a game and it almost impossible to beat a decent caliber opponent on such nights.

However, if they take away from this game, that high pressure defense can keep them in a game no matter what, they become less enigmatic.

One thing they can take from this game is that even with essentially a 7 player rotation, they can play hard for 40 minutes. Fitness is not an issue for this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
Oh my, had the Lvs not accomplished a comeback victory, this board would 100 new threads all making the same point- Holly must go; the program dead: BOYCOTT the LVs and on and on.

After a major win, its more or less quiet on the western front with a few posters still wanting to get in the really tired jokes about how Holly scratches her head and puts her hands on her hips."

[This obsession with Holly's mannerism is just weird. Many coaches have their quirks; Muffet squatted through whole game; Kim Mulkey is a total basket case on the sidelines and Geno is a just a jerk. Everyone is quirky].

Holly made some good adjustments particularly in recognizing that ND was not defending us very well when our slashing players attacked the basket. Though the announcers, even Kara, kept insisting the Mercedes must touch the ball on every ball on every possession, it worked to the LVs advantage to have Diamond, nared, and Jordan go at the ND defenders when they had a driving lane. {I am not sure why ND did not play more zone and pack the paint a bit more since the LVs are not much of threat from outside but...)

The LVs made some excellent adjustments in the 2nd half and stopped letting ND get easy baskets on back cuts. There 2nd half was an impressive defensive display.

Mercedes was solid but she could have had a bigger impact, particularly in the 1st half when ND started to pull away

Middleton made one great play -- the pass to Nunn but committed TOs and defensive mistakes and missed open shots.

I give credit to Meme for hitting 2 big 3 (and one being very clutch with the game on the line) but overall she can play better as well.

But the overall team defense in the 2nd defense and some decent shooting did just enough to get the LVs their biggest win in quite some time.

I am not convinced about the "this is a win the team can build on" which was said after the Stanford and Ky wins.

This LV team can come out and shoot 33% for a game and it almost impossible to beat a decent caliber opponent on such nights.

However, if they take away from this game, that high pressure defense can keep them in a game no matter what, they become less enigmatic.

One thing they can take from this game is that even with essentially a 7 player rotation, they can play hard for 40 minutes. Fitness is not an issue for this team.

A+ synopsis .

Reactions: 2 people
Oh my, had the Lvs not accomplished a comeback victory, this board would have 100+ new threads all making the same point- Holly must go; the program is dead: BOYCOTT the LVs and on and on.

After a major win, it's more or less quiet on the western front with a few posters still wanting to make really tired jabs about how Holly scratches her head and puts her hands on her hips.

Holly made some good adjustments particularly in recognizing that ND was not defending us very well when our slashing players attacked the basket. Though the announcers, even Kara, kept insisting the Mercedes must touch the ball on every possession, it worked to the LVs advantage to have Diamond, Jamie, and Jordan go at the ND defenders when they had a driving lane. {I am not sure why ND did not play more zone and pack the paint since the LVs are not much of threat from outside but...)

The LVs made some excellent defensive adjustments in the 2nd half and stopped letting ND get easy baskets on back cuts. There 2nd half was an impressive defensive display.

Yep...Just hang on for the meltdown Thursday night!!

????Mercedes was solid but she could have had a bigger impact, particularly in the 1st half when ND started to pull away
???
I was at the game and Mercedes Russell set the pick for Jaime Nared winning basket, then she tip the last second 3 point shot from the Notre Dame girl that saved the game.

Last edited:
????Mercedes was solid but she could have had a bigger impact, particularly in the 1st half when ND started to pull away
???
I was at the game and Mercedes Russell set the pick for Jaime Nared winning basket, then she tip the last second 3 point shot from Notre Dame girl that saved the game.

And those plays were in the 2nd half right?

Mercedes had 13 pts and 4 rebounds. She is capable of more. Like I said, she had a solid game and she did make some big plays down the stretch.

The reason Muffet got out of zone because she opened with zone and we scored 11 straight points . but they were still sagging down playing man and a half in post

Just an observation about the first run for the lady vols. Ball movement was 100 percent better than normal.

The other night Rebecca Lobo showed a clip of UCONN and a clip from another team they were playing and the point of the clip was how few dribbles UCONN uses in their offense vs. the competition.

Another observation is on Middleton. Better to have Meme in for defense and shooting very little vs. Middleton shooting terrible and a defensive liability. If you are going to play Middleton, instruct the post players to go to her side and wait for the charge from the opposing player. A decent guard can dribble drive on her all day long.

This win is more huge in a sense of finishing games against great teams we shot 45% against notre dame. Yes we said that Stanford and Kentucky was turn around games , but Notre Dame is different beast. They were picked to win the title this year that win carries more weight in recruiting and on the national stage, If we can finish 21-8 and 12-4 heading into conference tournament , Then we start getting back to where we should be moving in right direction

Reactions: 1 person

Madtownvol, you and some others on this board are without equal in your accurate assessment of the LVs performance.

Just an observation about the first run for the lady vols. Ball movement was 100 percent better than normal.

The other night Rebecca Lobo showed a clip of UCONN and a clip from another team they were playing and the point of the clip was how few dribbles UCONN uses in their offense vs. the competition.

Another observation is on Middleton. Better to have Meme in for defense and shooting very little vs. Middleton shooting terrible and a defensive liability. If you are going to play Middleton, instruct the post players to go to her side and wait for the charge from the opposing player. A decent guard can dribble drive on her all day long.

Yep ....I resemble those remarks.:)

an army of one...GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

You are dead on about the boards being quiet. Pretty sad. I'm glad they LV's were able to shut up the nega-vols.

Couple things I took away.
In the player press conference, Reynolds and Diamond spoke how they said in the 2nd half, "we are not losing, it's not an option" and the team turned it around. This to me speaks volumes and other people have made mention of this. This is all mental. The 1st half was not great, and our 4th quarter mentality won us the game. WHY can't the ladies start the game with that mind-set??? This has been our problem since .... forever. I get you will have slow starts, but again, this is a mental mind-set that the players HAVE to have. Some call it that killer-instict that CPS all had in the glory days. Our 4th quarter play last night has to be expanded to 40 minutes. IT HAS TO. That's Tennessee basketball. As CPS said in her old recruiting days, when you come to Tennessee, you are committing to put in the work to wear the orange, it's not a free ride here. Their are expectations, rules, and responsibility to put on the orange. The team shown/proven they have the ability to do it. Whose going to continue to stoke the fire? How do you build on it? Well, you look at the reply and you see who brought it in the 4th quarter. What player personal executed the best and resulted us the win? I am proud of this win, it shouldn't be considered an "upset" because we all know what this team is capable of. This team has the player personal to be a final four team, but as we have seen, what team is going to show up? I hope this team examines this win by observing their mental effort they put fourth. The no seconding guessing, just get down and get it done attitude. I know my role and I can do this attitude. Here's to a bright orange future! :good!:

You are dead on about the boards being quiet. Pretty sad. I'm glad they LV's were able to shut up the nega-vols.

Couple things I took away.
In the player press conference, Reynolds and Diamond spoke how they said in the 2nd half, "we are not losing, it's not an option" and the team turned it around. This to me speaks volumes and other people have made mention of this. This is all mental. The 1st half was not great, and our 4th quarter mentality won us the game. WHY can't the ladies start the game with that mind-set??? This has been our problem since .... forever. I get you will have slow starts, but again, this is a mental mind-set that the players HAVE to have. Some call it that killer-instict that CPS all had in the glory days. Our 4th quarter play last night has to be expanded to 40 minutes. IT HAS TO. That's Tennessee basketball. As CPS said in her old recruiting days, when you come to Tennessee, you are committing to put in the work to wear the orange, it's not a free ride here. Their are expectations, rules, and responsibility to put on the orange. The team shown/proven they have the ability to do it. Whose going to continue to stoke the fire? How do you build on it? Well, you look at the reply and you see who brought it in the 4th quarter. What player personal executed the best and resulted us the win? I am proud of this win, it shouldn't be considered an "upset" because we all know what this team is capable of. This team has the player personal to be a final four team, but as we have seen, what team is going to show up? I hope this team examines this win by observing their mental effort they put fourth. The no seconding guessing, just get down and get it done attitude. I know my role and I can do this attitude. Here's to a bright orange future! :good!:

Good points. My one beef with Holly is that she keeps saying, she does not coach effort. With this group of players, maybe she needs to. They may not always be aware when they are playing a little flat. 10% can make a huge difference for a team on the margin. They may need to some effort coaching motivation.

I don't think fans or at least myself expect Holly or the team to win every game. We do expect great effort by the players every game and we don't get that. The Ole Miss effort was pathetic when we started the game None of the players looked ready to play. Holly called a timeout and they played a little harder then came out in the second half like they started the game. This team plays when they feel like playing and I expect we'll see more of it before the season is over.
There is hope they finally understand what it takes to win or at least be in the game. You have to defend and try to control the boards. Aggressive play is a must for all forty minutes and when this team does that I am satisfied win or lose.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think fans or at least myself expect Holly or the team to win every game. We do expect great effort by the players every game and we don't get that. The Ole Miss effort was pathetic when we started the game None of the players looked ready to play. Holly called a timeout and they played a little harder then came out in the second half like they started the game. This team plays when they feel like playing and I expect we'll see more of it before the season is over.
There is hope they finally understand what it takes to win or at least be in the game. You have to defend and try to control the boards. Aggressive play is a must for all forty minutes and when this team does that I am satisfied win or lose.
For some unknown reason ....at least to me ....is that this team is a horrible road team.Outside the Baylor game they have given ....generally speaking good effort on the home floor.
Last nite they started out like a house on fire and as other poster have pointed out ,the passing in the 1st three minutes was the best that I have seen all year and it propelled them to a 11-2 lead.That lead soon vanished into thin air.

Making shots at crunch time is the difference between winning and losing the close ones. :yes:

Not even just at crunch time. Making shots when you're open. And Tennessee did that consistently from start to finish, which is one of the reasons they stayed in the game even after ND went up 15. ND was shooting at a ridiculous clip, and it was unlikely they could sustain that. Tennessee was pretty consistent in their shooting all game long.

Great win, but unfortunately, some of the Holly Haters hope Tennessee loses games in order to get Holly fired.

Go Lady Vols!

Franklin if you read the board often then you have probably put me in the "Hate Holly " box.I hate no one .I have been and probably will continue to be one of Holly's harshest critics .I do not attribute the win last nite to superior coaching.I attribute the win last nite to the players taking the game into their own hands and giving superior effort in the 4th quarter.Madtown's analysis was spot on.

Franklin if you read the board often then you have probably put me in the "Hate Holly " box.I hate no one .I have been and probably will continue to be one of Holly's harshest critics .I do not attribute the win last nite to superior coaching.I attribute the win last nite to the players taking the game into their own hands and giving superior effort in the 4th quarter.Madtown's analysis was spot on.

Now lets not give all the glory to the players if you can bash holly when things go wrong then praise her for a signature win. she made great play calls and subs

Reactions: 7 people

So when they win, it's the players, but when they lose its Holly????? Lmfaooo!

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back