Old Fashion Rebounding And Defense Won This Game

hokievol12

Notre Dame shot a higher percent for the game, higher free throw percent, higher 3 point per cent (63), but rebounding and defense in that 4th quarter was something that I haven't seen from this team ALL season! PLUS...Diamond DeShields played 36 minutes with only 1 turnover!!! Is this the beginning of some consistency...or just an aberration? Who expected SINGLE DIGIT turnovers against Notre Dame? The LORD works in mysterious ways! Diamond also had 3 blocks! The girl played out of her mind! I've been an outspoken critic of Holly and her staff...but Holly, rightfully so, should feel very good about herself and her team tonight! Hopefully, this is a turning point for coach and team. :clap:

Reactions: 13 people
these girls seem to play up or play down to the competition...when Holly puts her hands on her hips and says "I don't know"...I actually can understand why...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
if I were coach, I would not let a 6 ft 6 in more than 6 ft from the basket on offense or defense!!!!!! The girl can win games for you that way. Just watch where she plays.

Go Lady Vols!!!!

these girls seem to play up or play down to the competition...when Holly puts her hands on her hips and says "I don't know"...I actually can understand why...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

I don't even think it's that easy, as the Baylor game showed us. They are wildly inconsistent and you just have no idea which team is going to show up.

This has to help their confidence. They had a long losing streak vs. ND, who is regarded as a FF caliber team. That has to carry over to the games vs. Auburn, SC and MSU2, which are probably their three toughest remaining games.

can they win the next three games with this coaching staff? they have the players!

Watching this one, it seems like the team and coaches were not sleepwalking through the game. That was refreshing!

It seems to me to be a good idea to have MR and Qui in together--they can BOTH learn something from each other! In addition to all the other good things they bring together.

if I were coach, I would not let a 6 ft 6 in more than 6 ft from the basket on offense or defense!!!!!! The girl can win games for you that way. Just watch where she plays.

Go Lady Vols!!!!

Mercedes got a hand on that last second 3-pointer. Might have saved the game.

I don't know which one is the better one Jekyll or Hyde but the better one showed up last night. They kept playing when they were tired and acted like they wanted it. Congrats on the win. Now hopefully if they lose another game this month people won't have a melt down because with wins over Stanford, Kentucky, & Notre Dame all teams capable of making it to the S16 (Kentucky might be an outside chance there) they are more than capable of rising to the occasion. I for one am shocked at ND going man on that final defensive play. That free throw line jumper for Nared has been pretty much money all year. That was a good piece of coaching on calling that play.

Reactions: 2 people
Notre Dame shot a higher percent for the game, higher free throw percent, higher 3 point per cent (63), but rebounding and defense in that 4th quarter was something that I haven't seen from this team ALL season! PLUS...Diamond DeShields played 36 minutes with only 1 turnover!!! Is this the beginning of some consistency...or just an aberration? Who expected SINGLE DIGIT turnovers against Notre Dame? The LORD works in mysterious ways! Diamond also had 3 blocks! The girl played out of her mind! I've been an outspoken critic of Holly and her staff...but Holly, rightfully so, should feel very good about herself and her team tonight! Hopefully, this is a turning point for coach and team. :clap:
Could not agree more with this ^^^^.Thought that Reynolds was also the difference maker as she was a true point guard last nite and had the 3rd best game of her career.

I don't know which one is the better one Jekyll or Hyde but the better one showed up last night. They kept playing when they were tired and acted like they wanted it. Congrats on the win. Now hopefully if they lose another game this month people won't have a melt down because with wins over Stanford, Kentucky, & Notre Dame all teams capable of making it to the S16 (Kentucky might be an outside chance there) they are more than capable of rising to the occasion. I for one am shocked at ND going man on that final defensive play. That free throw line jumper for Nared has been pretty much money all year. That was a good piece of coaching on calling that play.

They are capable but will they rise to the occasion particularly away from home.....they are horrible on the road and won only one game this season in opposing arenas.

Go Lady Vols!!!!

Agree,I cringe every time she comes out to the circle on defense or offense because something bad happens ....like the other team gets an easy layup or on the offensive end no one is under the basket to either receive the ball or rebound and the possession usually ends up a failure to score.

They are capable but will they rise to the occasion particularly away from home.....they are horrible on the road and won only one game this season in opposing arenas.

They've won three road games: James Madison, ETSU, and Vanderbilt. Not that that's anything major to brag about, but it's more than one. Big opportunity Thursday at Auburn.

I generally agree. The LVs defense in the 2nd half was quite good, after being quite porous in the first half. ND's shooting % dropped from 56 to 37.

Importantly, the LVs shot 45% for the game, which is one of their better performances and they hit shots at key moments (which had not been the case in their losses).

So, yes defense and rebounding but better shooting can't be overlooked.

Reactions: 2 people
They've won three road games: James Madison, ETSU, and Vanderbilt. Not that that's anything major to brag about, but it's more than one. Big opportunity Thursday at Auburn.

I did not recognize wins over ETSU nor James Madison :p

They played well at Texas did not win but one of their better efforts on the road. If we can win the rest of the home games and a couple on the road will be enough to get to the tourney. That is my only goal for this team right now. I like the way they played last night late in the game now I watch to see if they can sustain that effort going forward.

VN Store

Back