home attendance in a free fall

kamoshika

Avg. home attendance per game
2009-10: 12,254
2010-11: 12,537
2011-12: 14,414
2012-13: 11,390 (Holly's 1st year as HC)
2013-14: 11,038
2014-15: 10,375
2015-16: 10,412
2016-17: 8,607 (9 games)

Our lowest home attendance last season was 8,858 vs Penn State; we've already dipped below 8,000 three times this year. Disturbing to see that we drew more fans for the Albany game last year (9,806) than the Baylor game this year (9,244).

Reactions: 3 people
It was bound to happen....why go spend money to watch Holly coach them....we all love the LV but not enough to watch them lose more than they ever have been

Just a matter of time. I have said from the beginning there seemed to be something missing with Holly. I'am not good enough as an analyst to know, just a gut feeling. I do know if this downward trend (playing and attendance) prevails much longer, things are going have to change. Like it or not, we must wait on the changes from the top down for coaching changes to happen.

Went to a couple games a year in the past. Waste of money when Holly took over, so we no longer go. I can barely watch it on TV. I was able to put up with about 1.5 quarters against Ole Miss before cutting the steam. I see talent enough on the roster to go to the Elite 8. I see coaching and system not fit for HS and player development that is sorely lacking. Nothing has changed in nearly 5 years. UT is slowly killing off a legacy program. Congrats to the idiots in charge.

Reactions: 11 people
HW has destroyed this great program!
Oh get a grip. An elite 8 appearance last aeason and a #1 recruiting class is not destroying the program.

The Lvs hace not been to a final four since Candace graduated and have been consistently stuck at the sweet 16 or elite 8 stage. Soi, for the last 8 years or so the steady state has been that Lvs are a good but not great program. We might down a notch this season, though the team has time to turn it around like last season. But, Holy's failure has been one of not elevating the program to its former heights.

Reactions: 6 people
the games being broadcast on tv and online have killed attendance in all sports except gymnastics.

The Lady Vols basketball team will have the second highest attendance in the SEC, and likely in the nation.

But please continue to Denounce the Lady Vols basketball program if you must.

Reactions: 5 people

Our lowest home attendance last season was 8,858 vs Penn State; we've already dipped below 8,000 three times this year. Disturbing to see that we drew more fans for the Albany game last year (9,806) than the Baylor game this year (9,244).

:clapping:Last night the UT men only had 6 turnovers compared to 41 in the previous two games. Barnes concentrated coaching and produced results...only 6 as we clobbered Vanderbilt at home on their court. Women for the past two years the Lady Vols have consistently had over 15 turnovers per game and as high as 20 and 21. Warlick and the coaching staff does nothing period. The mens offense was constantly on the move...Lady Vols 3 standing like fence posts and two outside exchanging the ball...move and create some opportunity....coaching again. The Lady Vols have two teams...one with four and the other DeShields alone. When DeShields sat out the three games, the Lady Vols played better as a team...DeShields is nothing but a ball hog!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Holly just can't get it done. It's time to get serious and get one of the very best to lead our Lady Vols. From the number 1 program to also ran isn't going to keep attendance up. Just like Alabama football with Shula, time to hire the best we can get.

Oh get a grip. An elite 8 appearance last aeason and a #1 recruiting class is not destroying the program.

The Lvs hace not been to a final four since Candace graduated and have been consistently stuck at the sweet 16 or elite 8 stage. Soi, for the last 8 years or so the steady state has been that Lvs are a good but not great program. We might down a notch this season, though the team has time to turn it around like last season. But, Holy's failure has been one of not elevating the program to its former heights.

Yes, we should just accept that the flagship university for womens collegiate athletics is just going to be mediocre moving forward. Just like the folks in the football forum claiming Tennessee has always been a 9 win program but what they wont tell you is they used to only play 11 games.

Its ok folks just accept it and be happy we actually even have a coach because you know no one would ever want to take the job at the house Pat built.

Reactions: 1 person

This, and lost TV revenue, are the only things that get the University's attention.

I think the bigger challenge that *any* coach here would have to deal with is engaging a younger fan base, as the current one is aging. Dawn did a tremendous job of this at South Carolina.

Winning games and having a more "fun to watch" offense help, but I think there's a lot more to it than that.

There are a number of reasons attendance is falling, and the root cause is not just because of the team's performance. This question has been discussed on this board previously, too. Yes, the program's struggles contribute, but it's more than that. Here are some other factors-

• The "aging out" of season ticket holders
    The increase in ticket prices over the years
    Pat Summitt is not the coach
    The weaker home schedule (in some seasons)
    The changes in gameday experience
    The overall availability of games online in HD (ESPN3/SEC Network)

Now, yes, performance is also a big factor; if they were undefeated I'm sure it'd be higher. But let's not just say "the team sucks and no one wants to see them anymore!" That's an incomplete assessment at best. And no, 8800 in attendance isn't typical of the Lady Vols program, and I don't mean to say "yay the attendance is falling!" It's just ... jeez, people. If you're going to wave knives around, at least sharpen them properly.

Reactions: 8 people
Do you consider it is for the same reason as ours?

Reasons - plural.

There are lots of factors. Obviously coaching and team performance is not one for UConn although an argument can be made that their success has had a negative effect for some - as in "why go through the trouble to attend in person when they are just going to blow out another cupcake."

My point is that it isn't just about team performance. There are many other factors that affect attendance. One that shouldn't be discounted - no Pat Summitt on the sidelines.

Last edited:
The Lady Vols basketball team will have the second highest attendance in the SEC, and likely in the nation.

But please continue to Denounce the Lady Vols basketball program if you must.

If the current attendance rates of the top teams continue UT will finish the season in 6th place when compared to last years NCAA attendance stats.

Reactions: 1 person
I said about three years ago that We will go the route of La Tech and Old Dominion if Holly is our coach. It looks like I could see the future. I use to enjoy our play. I can't stand to watch our girls get outcoached every single game now.

Women's Basketball sets attendance record across all three divisions | NCAA.com

Are the LVs an outlier? Let's compare their attendance to the top-ranked programs in the nation over the past few seasons, looking at their attendance averages so far this year compared to the 2014-15 season (in order of attendance decline):

1. Tennessee: 8,607 (-1,768)
2. Louisville: 8,546 (-969)
3. Stanford: 3,015 (-559)
4. Baylor: 5,952 (-389)
5. Notre Dame: 8,244 (-300)
6. South Carolina: 12,020 (-273)
7. Maryland: 5,034 (-202)
8. UConn: 8,034 (-182)
9. Florida State: 3,637 (+482)

Regardless of the reasons for the drastic decline in attendance in Knoxville, it's trending in the wrong direction far too quickly and needs to be slowed down at the very least.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back