Becky Hammon Makes $100,000 Per Year

hokievol12

as an assistant coach for the San Antonio NBA team! She had about a 15 year WNBA career, highly decorated, very articulate young lady, will be 40 years old in March. She is generally regarded as one of the top 15 players in WNBA history, passionate, intelligent, very high basketball IQ, demanding of her players. This is the type person that I would have on a short list as a future head coach at a place like Tennessee! Would she come to Knoxville? I'd bet she would!

Reactions: 7 people
as an assistant coach for the San Antonio NBA team! She had about a 15 year WNBA career, highly decorated, very articulate young lady, will be 40 years old in March. She is generally regarded as one of the top 15 players in WNBA history, passionate, intelligent, very high basketball IQ, demanding of her players. This is the type person that I would have on a short list as a future head coach at a place like Tennessee! Would she come to Knoxville? I'd bet she would!

I would be thrilled with that.

Reactions: 1 person

I might add NBA San Antonio coach Gregg Papovich hired her on as his assistant! The Spurs are one of the winningest teams in the league because of coach Papovich. Hammon is learning from the best! She would bring with her knowledge of the game from both sides of the NBA and WNBA.

I would love to have her but I highly doubt she goes and coach women's college basketball unless its at UCONN when coach Geno retires. I see her fighting hard to become a NBA coach one day.

And would those 4 outstanding recruits coming in next season stick with their commitment to Tennessee? I think so!

I would love to have her but I highly doubt she goes and coach women's college basketball unless its at UCONN when coach Geno retires. I see her fighting hard to become a NBA coach one day.

For 400,000 per year at a tradition rich place like Tennessee? I would get the check book out and ask her if it sounds better than the 100,000 she is getting now! lol

What do head coaches in the WNBA make? The fact that Warlick is still coaching UT is a scandal--gross incompetence by Hart, but then he's apparently doing nothing nowadays. It's a mess.

Reactions: 5 people

Being a college coach is different from being an NBA coach; she's got all the makings but colleges are different than establish pro franchises, what with recruiting and boosters and the politics of college programs. And, even setting that aside, the bigger issue is that there's a prestige to being a woman coaching in the NBA that you can't get through any other means.

I mean, it'd be a hell of a splash name-wise. There's no reason she couldn't be a great coach. I probably wouldn't bat an eye at the salary costs if she had a price. But it's just ... let's face it, coming to this sport is a step down from the NBA and from having NBA aspirations, and once you take that step you probably can't go back. Not a reasonable thing to expect.

Maybe...but it would definitely mean an invite to the WH.

Although the ladies might want to wear their cups to the meet 'n' greet. :whistling:

Maybe...but it would definitely mean an invite to the WH.

Although the ladies might want to borrow some cups to wear to the meet 'n' greet. :whistling:

Totally agree, that she would be a great fit. Having watched her play and coach in the NBA rookie league, and the experience on the best coach in basketball (greg popovich)staff, she would be a home run hire. she would also be able to assemble an unblievable staff. Now is the time to start the petiton.

That didn't impress me then and it doesn't now. For those of you who don't remember, she was unhappy that she couldn't go to the Olympics because she didn't make the US team, so she decided to become a Russian citizen so she could play for the Russian team. She is a selfish traitor, period. Her ideas of loyalty and ethics leave a lot to be desired and we don't need her at Tenn. [BTW, the US took gold, Russia got bronze.]

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
That didn't impress me then and it doesn't now. For those of you who don't remember, she was unhappy that she couldn't go to the Olympics because she didn't make the US team, so she decided to become a Russian citizen so she could play for the Russian team. She is a selfish traitor, period. Her ideas of loyalty and ethics leave a lot to be desired and we don't need her at Tenn. [BTW, the US took gold, Russia got bronze.]

USOC wasn't loyal to her. Why should she be loyal to them?

When you are doing what you love and getting paid, then I believe you are 'living the dream'. I'd take a 100,000 pay check coaching anywhere!

As I stated in a previous post back in November, I believe that a totally new approach should be considered for the new head coach. Let's think out of the box, and don't hire anyone from the current ranks of college coaches. BECKY HAMMON is a person dedicated to excellence with a known work ethic and the person that would demand the same from her staff and the players. The UT administration should roll the dice and go after a person of this caliber to lead the next generation of LV basketball players.

Totally agree, that she would be a great fit. Having watched her play and coach in the NBA rookie league, and the experience on the best coach in basketball (greg popovich)staff, she would be a home run hire. she would also be able to assemble an unblievable staff. Now is the time to start the petiton.

I agree, but I also think this is a "pie-in-the-sky" sort of hire. I suspect Hammon will stay in the NBA in the hopes that she will eventually become the first woman coach there.

A more realistic target imo would be Scott Rueck at Oregon State. I realize that there would be a glamor deficit and most folks would see this as anything but a home run hire, but he is a terrific coach who in July, 2010, took over a program that was in shambles (almost all of the scholarship players had transferred the year before he took over) and took them to the final four five years later. And this year's team looks very strong once again despite losing two of last year's stars. Rueck also coached George Fox College to the Division III title in 2009. And he has done this without a single 5-star recruit.

That didn't impress me then and it doesn't now. For those of you who don't remember, she was unhappy that she couldn't go to the Olympics because she didn't make the US team, so she decided to become a Russian citizen so she could play for the Russian team. She is a selfish traitor, period. Her ideas of loyalty and ethics leave a lot to be desired and we don't need her at Tenn. [BTW, the US took gold, Russia got bronze.][/QUOT She played for the Russian team because she NEVER got an invitation to try out for the USA team, she is still an American citizen...and it was also a business decision since she was eligible to receive 250,000 dollars for doing so! She scored 21 points in the bronze medal game to give Russia the victory over
China. Americans like Candace Parker play overseas all the time! You are way off base to call this woman a "traitor"...absolutely ridiculous!

Reactions: 2 people
She may have a "goal" of coaching in the NBA but my guess is a program like UT is one of the few things she would consider. We aren't just "any college job"....well not yet anyway. I say throw $850k her way and let's roll

Just sent her a text! :)

VN Store

Back