Best Analysis from the Ole Miss vs Tenn Game Tonight

Can We just hire her as coach? She seems to have a clue whereas Holly has said over and over that she does not know what to do

Reactions: 2 people
Makes you :sad:

Margo you & I both know the reason why our beloved Lady Volunteers are playing so bad.

I can understand why you don't want to mention her name. Let me.

:yu:CHW:yu:

Reactions: 3 people
The decision to foul and take the time out at the end of the game to me is a red herring. While it was a bad decision, the game was lost well before that occurred. The game was lost in the first quarter, and then lost again in the third quarter.

Perhaps tea and sugar coated muffins with a resounding rendition of Rocky Top sung
by all present at each practice would be inspirational to the group. LOL!!!

"Jaime, why are you driving the lane and quick shooting? I don't care if we've swung the game 24 points by doing so. We are an inside-out team. INSIDE OUT!!!! Now pass the ball to Mercedes. I don't care if all five players are guarding her. You find a way to get her the ball because we are inside out. INSIDE OUT!!!!?"

"Jaime, why are you driving the lane and quick shooting? I don't care if we've swung the game 24 points by doing so. We are an inside-out team. INSIDE OUT!!!! Now pass the ball to Mercedes. I don't care if all five players are guarding her. You find a way to get her the ball because we are inside out. INSIDE OUT!!!!?"

That was great when Margo went thru that rant.

I still do not understand why we do not get more offensive rebounds. I remember Pat would say basically that it was desire.

Reactions: 2 people
except for DD, we have a team of average to below average speed players. Basketball is a game of quickness and reaction timing and we are a step slow in both. Bad recruiting or whatever, it's the fault of the head ball coach. No one else.

Reactions: 5 people

I still do not understand why we do not get more offensive rebounds. I remember Pat would say basically that it was desire.

I thought Margo was spot on. I've been complaining about that since last season. Every opponent knows your first, second, third and fourth option is to throw the ball inside to Mercedes, and they sit there and wait for it. Is it any surprise that against team with quality guards, more often than not they will lose?

A lot of people complain about how Diamond plays. I firmly believe that Holly "coached" the Diamond out of Diamond, and she's playing like a zombie because of it. Nice going, "coach".

Reactions: 5 people

I have said it ten thousand times. Holly is not a good head coach. She needs to resign immediately in respect for the legacy of Pat. One commentator on this message board called me an idiot for suggesting that Kyra Elzy could do a better job at head coaching than Holly. I believe that almost anybody with some coaching experience could do a better job!

Reactions: 4 people

3/4 the time the tallest rebounders are at the free throw line or farther away!

When there is someone near the hoop, they don't seem to hold onto and then go up with the ball.

except for DD, we have a team of average to below average speed players...

Middleton in particular and Reynolds have very poor lateral and backwards movement and Russell is not very mobile around the basket. Nared is only average in this regard and Nunn is also slow laterally. Dunbar can't move at all but her lack of PT makes it a non-issue. Holly needs to scheme for these deficiencies but either doesn't know how or doesn't recognize the deficiencies.

3/4 the time the tallest rebounders are at the free throw line or farther away!

When there is someone near the hoop, they don't seem to hold onto and then go up with the ball.

I've been screaming this forever! The LVs are always shooting jump shots on fast breaks when everybody else is still running up the floor behind the shooter but the defenders are ahead ready to rebound the usually missed shot.

NOBODY CRASHES THE BOARDS< EITHER!

Mercedes roams around at the top of the key not involved in the game. Why on Earth is she out there and not in the paint? A mystery that no one ever has an answer for.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I've been screaming this forever! The LVs are always shooting jump shots on fast breaks when everybody else is still running up the floor behind the shooter but the defenders are ahead ready to rebound the usually missed shot.

NOBODY CRASHES THE BOARDS< EITHER!

Mercedes roams around at the top of the key not involved in the game. Why on Earth is she out there and not in the paint? A mystery that no one ever has an answer for.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

So, critique 1 is that the LVs are always forcing the ball into the post where Mercedes is double covered and 2) Mercedes roams around at the top of the key....

Sometimes, Mercedes does move up to to relieve pressure or set a screen and then she reposts. Her mobility is actually one of the advantages that the LVs should indeed try to leverage; chasing her makes the double team a little more difficult to set.

The LVs do take some quick shots in transition but they are open shots and they need to (and should) hit them. But again, that happens on a relatively small number of plays. It is certainly not an always.

And the LVs actually outrebounded Ole Miss, which has been the pattern for most of their games. Jamie, Nared, and Jordan all "crash the boards".

My reason for making these clarifications is that it does not good to basically caricature the team's performance: nobody rebounds, Mercedes is never in the post and so on.

For all their failings and shortcomings, if the LVs could shoot a decent percentage, we are having a very different conversation. Now, the LVs are not a good shooting team and so they have to double down on defense and rebounding to compensate (and the short bench makes the demanding task even harder). They shot 34.8% against Ole Miss with a lot of really good looks and point blank shots at the rim.

It is mystifying why this team is do bad shooting the ball.

At some point basketball is simple, if you make shots, everything gets easier.

Reactions: 4 people
I have said it ten thousand times. Holly is not a good head coach. She needs to resign immediately in respect for the legacy of Pat. One commentator on this message board called me an idiot for suggesting that Kyra Elzy could do a better job at head coaching than Holly. I believe that almost anybody with some coaching experience could do a better job!

I posed this question before, if anyone thought that Elzy was a threat to take Hollys job, being the reason that she was let go. Kyra seemed to not be afraid to challenge the ladies on effort and desire. Holly would always seem to stop Kyra from being too hard on them. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 person
So, critique 1 is that the LVs are always forcing the ball into the post where Mercedes is double covered and 2) Mercedes roams around at the top of the key....

Sometimes, Mercedes does move up to to relieve pressure or set a screen and then she reposts. Her mobility is actually one of the advantages that the LVs should indeed try to leverage; chasing her makes the double team a little more difficult to set.

The LVs do take some quick shots in transition but they are open shots and they need to (and should) hit them. But again, that happens on a relatively small number of plays. It is certainly not an always.

And the LVs actually outrebounded Ole Miss, which has been the pattern for most of their games. Jamie, Nared, and Jordan all "crash the boards".

My reason for making these clarifications is that it does not good to basically caricature the team's performance: nobody rebounds, Mercedes is never in the post and so on.

For all their failings and shortcomings, if the LVs could shoot a decent percentage, we are having a very different conversation. Now, the LVs are not a good shooting team and so they have to double down on defense and rebounding to compensate (and the short bench makes the demanding task even harder). They shot 34.8% against Ole Miss with a lot of really good looks and point blank shots at the rim.

It is mystifying why this team is do bad shooting the ball.

At some point basketball is simple, if you make shots, everything gets easier.

My observation in the Ole Miss game was that MR was way out of the rebounding area nearly half the time a shot was taken. I will keep up with it more carefully next game. Perhaps the official stats will help on that? And, how about letting someone BESIDES her set screens? Aren't there several other people on the team? Yet, she is the one who seems to try to set most of the screens from around or out past the free throw line. And I say "try" because the screens are mostly ineffective.

If you are going to shoot with no one nearby for rebounding, you darned sure better hit the shot. We don't.

Then there is the bunny problem. We miss an average of at least 6 a game.

My other gripe concerns lack of movement. At any given time, on offense, we have 2 players (if we are lucky) moving and 3 "observers." Why?

I do wonder about practices. While I understand the need not to hurt players practicing, I also think protecting them with pillows or bubble wrap isn't getting them ready for the game, especially when you have 300 lb. posts they are playing against. Too many of our players fear getting hurt, it seems, so that even a bitty guard like the one the other night seems too scary to take on.

Last edited:
.... Too many of our players fear getting hurt, it seems, so that even a bitty guard like the one the other night seems too scary to take on.

This IS what killed us in the Ole Miss game.
When you have a couple of wide-bodies in the paint on defense, you certainly don't go after them with a skinny big. . . The Bohemith will simply plant and shove your tall post around, as they did.

What you have to do to combat this is attack "Kong with planes"... Meaning, send your guards into the paint looking for contact so they can get the BIG in foul trouble. . . . Trying to get the big in foul trouble with your big, when the refs are noticeably letting physical play go, in the paint,,,is futile

BUT

To incorporate this strategy, the guards have to be schooled properly on NOW to do a contact layup.

This IS what killed us in the Ole Miss game.
When you have a couple of wide-bodies in the paint on defense, you certainly don't go after them with a skinny big. . . The Bohemith will simply plant and shove your tall post around, as they did.

What you have to do to combat this is attack "Kong with planes"... Meaning, send your guards into the paint looking for contact so they can get the BIG in foul trouble. . . . Trying to get the big in foul trouble with your big, when the refs are noticeably letting physical play go, in the paint,,,is futile

BUT

To incorporate this strategy, the guards have to be schooled properly on NOW to do a contact layup.

At the end of the half the two large girls from OM had a total of 5 fouls. Neither the best I remember fouled out. The 2 times MR really got physical with them she obviously fouled them. The refs even if they are worth a damn, which these were not after that dick Insell chewed them out every time they came in his area, will not let you push and shove if you have not being doing it the whole game!!! I have said it before and you can see it again against awbarn we are just to dainty and soft across the board. Somebody needs to get meme to see coach Barnes about that awful shot she has . She launches from the side and makes the original kevin punters old shot look classic. Middleton and her better enjoy playing this year cause next year they should be buried on the bench where harris and dunbar are!!

In scrimmaging with guys 5 on 5 and guys not in shape and not really knowing what
to do they should have 5 guys on each end of the court. Give the guys and offensive
coach and a defensive coach. Also give the Vol players and offensive and defensive coach on each end of the court. This does not have to be helter/ skelter. Delay on each end as often as head coach,with override on the total action, blows whistle to give instruction for either side. Give every coach a whistle to use as they see the need. The next game no Vol player should be unaware of what is wanted and what to expect from the scouted offense.

I posed this question before, if anyone thought that Elzy was a threat to take Hollys job, being the reason that she was let go. Kyra seemed to not be afraid to challenge the ladies on effort and desire. Holly would always seem to stop Kyra from being too hard on them. :unsure:

Bingo !

At the end of the half the two large girls from OM had a total of 5 fouls. Neither the best I remember fouled out. The 2 times MR really got physical with them she obviously fouled them. The refs even if they are worth a damn, which these were not after that dick Insell chewed them out every time they came in his area, will not let you push and shove if you have not being doing it the whole game!!! I have said it before and you can see it again against awbarn we are just to dainty and soft across the board. Somebody needs to get meme to see coach Barnes about that awful shot she has . She launches from the side and makes the original kevin punters old shot look classic. Middleton and her better enjoy playing this year cause next year they should be buried on the bench where harris and dunbar are!!

Players like Middleton will cost Holly her job.

Seriously? That's way off point. Elzy was let go because she was producing abysmal results as the recruiting coordinator, which was her primary job.

VN Store

Back