Talent levels

bobkitten

One thing the TV commentators mentioned and showed on the screen (Perhaps it was during the AL-SC game) was how many AAs UConn has vs other teams. I was surprised to see that 6-7 other teams, including UT, have more AAs than UConn (4), led by ND I believe, with 8. Anyone else see this and were surprised?

Reactions: 1 person
One thing the TV commentators mentioned and showed on the screen (Perhaps it was during the AL-SC game) was how many AAs UConn has vs other teams. I was surprised to see that 6-7 other teams, including UT, have more AAs than UConn (4), led by ND I believe, with 8. Anyone else see this and were surprised?

I saw the chart they flashed up. I wasn't surprised, it's been brought up before.

I don't know about AA's but of the players that start for UConn Collier was number six in the 2015 class, Samuelson was number one, Williams was number fourteen in 2014, Nurse was an AA from Canada, Dangerfield number three in 2016, and Chong was 75 in 2013.

While Tennessee and several other teams seem to have talent that is comparable to UConn they are certainly not without talent. They are certainly better coached and their players are at another level compared to our team and other top teams.

Notre Dame - 8
Texas - 7
Baylor - 6
Duke - 6
Maryland - 6
Tennessee - 5
UCONN - 4
S Carolina - 4

SC surprised me more than anything else.

The graphic they showed was the number of AA's out of high school. You have to also consider college AA's. UConn lost all of theirs to the WNBA while 4 of the teams UConn has played Ohio State, Notre Dame, Baylor, & Maryland all have collegiate All-Americans still on their roster (K. Mitchell 1st team AA 2016, B. Turner 2nd team AA 2016, N. Davis 2nd team AA 2016, SWK 3rd team AA 2016) in combination with other talent and much longer benches it seems. Plus UConn still needs to play South Carolina who also has a 2016 1st team AA A'ja Wilson.

This is why I say I don't care who you get. What do you do with it? I have been a UConn fan half my life so 14 years and even I came into this year thinking there is no way they make it out of the OOC unscathed. I was completely prepared for someone else to win the title and really thought we have no shot at all. It had nothing to do with their pedigree they have talent just like every other team in the Top 10. It was their youth I was concerned about. Now I am thinking they might have just as good of a chance as anyone in the Top 10.

Last edited:
Lady Vols probably lead that chart with bonehead possessions. If they could finally erase all the wasted trips down the floor they could be really really good. But to many times this team goes into a funk. And although the Lady Vols have their AA's. They dont have the pure shooters of UCONN. And to me thats the glaring difference.

Reactions: 3 people
Thank you, Coach J.

In addition, the commentators said that (he whose name we can't say) recruits quite specifically for his needs. I am sure lots of coaches do, but it may be easier when you are in high demand.

I thought it was an interesting graphic. Wonder how it will look next year?

At any rate, kind of like teaching, you work with who shows up. I am happy to see our LVs doing better!

Lady Vols probably lead that chart with bonehead possessions. If they could finally erase all the wasted trips down the floor they could be really really good. But to many times this team goes into a funk. And although the Lady Vols have their AA's. They dont have the pure shooters of UCONN. And to me thats the glaring difference.

Technique...cwby... They learn ,,,AFTER,,, they get to UCONN!

If you look at our shot mechanics:

our player still have HS tendencies:
Shooting from below the temple, not finishing their layups at full extension, dropping their follow-through before the flight of the ball is determined, etc.

This is why I know I could help this team out...This is my specialty. . . breaking down bad mechanics.

Reactions: 2 people
Did anyone count how many airballs they had against UK? I was watching on my phone yesterday and saw a stretch of 3 pointers that look like Ray Charles was shooting. I turned it off because it was frustrating to watch. But i also had a bug yesterday and only ate 3 oranges all day. I need to rewatch the game. But they won so i may not.

IIRC the graphic specifically addressed the population of McDonalds AAs on those respective teams. Annually, there are probably anywhere from 10-25 players left off the 24-player rosters that could be interchanged with some of the honorees. Typically, 8-12 players (sometimes maybe fewer) are "no-brainers". After that, it can be a coin toss for many other hopefuls (or a popularity contest). The ambiguity in the player rankings in the various recruiting services is evidence to support. I bring this up only to squelch suggestions that Connecticut is destitute of talent. That's bull. All of their players are good players with easily recognizable names because they were highly recruited, too.

It is true that Tennessee has underachieved with the players it has assembled, however.

UConn would have 6 AA's if Gabby Williams had not been out with an ACL injury and had Kia played in the states as she was considered a top 10 recruit by services that recognize international players. Chong was NPOY by one publication and was a WBCA AA among other numerous awards. Everyone else on the team is top 50 or top 100 and they try to make it seem like UConn is scrapping the bottom of the barrel to fill spots around their "small" amount of McD's All Americans. If Geno had the same roster as a Purdue or Utah he wouldn't have just won his 88th straight game. Regardless of number he still needs at least one or two elite talents and right now he has 5 and 4 of them were elite coming in. But with that said, I do agree (because it's obvious) that the UConn staff is the best in the business right now and there is no debate. But I really hate the attempt to make him seem like he is doing these great things with little to work with.

UConn would have 6 AA's if Gabby Williams had not been out with an ACL injury and had Kia played in the states as she was considered a top 10 recruit by services that recognize international players. Chong was NPOY by one publication and was a WBCA AA among other numerous awards. Everyone else on the team is top 50 or top 100 and they try to make it seem like UConn is scrapping the bottom of the barrel to fill spots around their "small" amount of McD's All Americans. If Geno had the same roster as a Purdue or Utah he wouldn't have just won his 88th straight game. Regardless of number he still needs at least one or two elite talents and right now he has 5 and 4 of them were elite coming in. But with that said, I do agree (because it's obvious) that the UConn staff is the best in the business right now and there is no debate. But I really hate the attempt to make him seem like he is doing these great things with little to work with.

Dat part!

Geno and his staff are 3 times better than our staff; that's just a fact.

I don't agree that that is a fact, but I do agree with your opinion. That staff has generated a lot of success to support it.

While we are dishing out praise for other coaching staffs, kudos to NC State's.

Geno and his staff are 3 times better than our staff; that's just a fact.

Geno, Schmeno

However, if Geno moved on and took another gig or passed away, the UCONN program would go through a similar transition.

How long for them?

Do you see a "Geno" on his staff.
I don't.
There's only room for one Geno on his staff.
He is the Alpha and there's only room for one when it is the HC.!

How long would it take UC to jump back to where he has it if it lost him and dropped out of the top 25?

But I really hate the attempt to make him seem like he is doing these great things with little to work with.

Is that what they are trying to say? Or what you heard them say? Sometimes people mean exactly what they say and nothing more. It's odd that from that short clip people have now decided that the reporter was saying UConn has no talent.

What was said was that they are currently 5th in terms of AAs. If you look at the ranked teams they have played all of them have equal to or more. So the talent is comparable. Some of those rosters have players that were not nearly as good as they were coming out of HS and got significantly better.

Now that UConn has gone 12-0 all those people who were so eager to see them fall in OOC play have to start finding new excuses. Or they can recycle all the old ones. As the talent spreads out and that number of schools with 4+ High School AA's goes from 8 to 10 to 15 and so on WCBB will keep finding more excuses.

Stop whining and raise your level of play. I have seen mid-majors play better basketball than some of the teams currently in the Top 25. I have seen WCBB teams go from November to March and not improve in certain areas of the game then get surprised when they get bounced in the tourney... how is that possible? Some of these coaches have been at the sames school for years cashing six figure pay checks running the same crap that hasn't gotten them anywhere.

Here's an idea... GET BETTER!

Reactions: 5 people
The graphic they showed was the number of AA's out of high school. You have to also consider college AA's. UConn lost all of theirs to the WNBA while 4 of the teams UConn has played Ohio State, Notre Dame, Baylor, & Maryland all have collegiate All-Americans still on their roster (K. Mitchell 1st team AA 2016, B. Turner 2nd team AA 2016, N. Davis 2nd team AA 2016, SWK 3rd team AA 2016) in combination with other talent and much longer benches it seems. Plus UConn still needs to play South Carolina who also has a 2016 1st team AA A'ja Wilson.

This is why I say I don't care who you get. What do you do with it? I have been a UConn fan half my life so 14 years and even I came into this year thinking there is no way they make it out of the OOC unscathed. I was completely prepared for someone else to win the title and really thought we have no shot at all. It had nothing to do with their pedigree they have talent just like every other team in the Top 10. It was their youth I was concerned about. Now I am thinking they might have just as good of a chance as anyone in the Top 10.

The issue is that Genno has set the bar high, as Pat did 10 to 15 years ago, however, other coaches either can't reach the bar or they refuse to. If I wanted to beat Genno, I would analysis his program, and why it is successful. I would then use his blue print. Genno's ladies are talented, aggressive and refuse to lose. He knows how to bring the best out of each player. I think a lot of coaches in the ladies game know the X's and O's, however, the game is much more than that. The difference is how you coach up the players. Do the coaches have the ability to challenge their players to produce their best? When teams go South do they have the ability to come up with in game changes? Coaches have to make every player accountability and hold them to that standard.

Last edited:
Geno, Schmeno

However, if Geno moved on and took another gig or passed away, the UCONN program would go through a similar transition.

How long for them?

Do you see a "Geno" on his staff.
I don't.
There's only room for one Geno on his staff.
He is the Alpha and there's only room for one when it is the HC.!

How long would it take UC to jump back to where he has it if it lost him and dropped out of the top 25?

Don't see Uconn dropping much, ESPN will prop them up.

The issue is that Genno has set the bar high, as Pat did 10 to 15 years ago, however, other coaches either can't reach the bar or they refuse to. If I wanted to beat Genno, I would analysis his program, and why it is successful. I would then use his blue print. Genno's ladies are talented, aggressive and refuse to lose. He knows how to bring the best out of each player. I think a lot of coaches in the ladies game know the X's and O's, however, the game is much more than that. The difference is how you coach up the players. Do the coaches have the ability to challenge their players to produce their best? When teams go South do they have the ability to come up with in game changes? Coaches have to make every player accountability and hold them to that standard.

I think there is quite a few coaches that really are making things happens but I think there are far more who really aren't all that invested in getting over the hump. I don't think there is a ton of pressure in WCBB to succeed at certain schools.

Div I WCBB is probably over expanded by a good 30% to be completely honest. There just isn't that many good coaches and players for there to be over 300 teams. It is getting better but not at the rate that the rest of the world wants it to.

I don't think anyone has said he has "little to work with."

Its not what he has that is better,
The girls, individually get better ,,Early!
The movement of the offense is one of flow,

He gets the same athletes...Makes them noticeably better...puts them into a free style offense.

He is covering mechanics and continuity.

You raise good points.... I do not think Chong would be confused with NPOY even though I understand one publication proclaimed her as such.... and Nurse I think was Hoppgurlz #30 something .... and I do not know if she gets lower rating because Canadian... dont know... but coaching is good there of course.... and makes me think about ND.... Muffet good coach and with 8 AAs some of them young.... maybe they will be great come tournament time

VN Store

Back