2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar  
2231 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Lady Vols. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
Amb3096

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite9 View Post
Didn't UCONN just sign like 4 guards in the top 50 for the 2017 recruiting class? Crazy if she goes there especially if she wants to play right away.
There will be transfers. Maybe not Walker or Williams if she signs there, but the other combo guards will see the writing on the wall and realize that if they want to play meaningful minutes, then it's time to pack up.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
Amb3096

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Mamba View Post
By 2018 we'll only have three post so far on the team. With Green, Kasi, and Amira, then Green could leave after the 2018 season not saying that she will but it's a possibility. I'm sure they're full court pressing for another post. Knowing how bad we get riddled with injuries every year. We could do a guard , forward, and another post.
Don't forget Kamera Harris.

If they get Odoba, then that will be a nice rotation of Odoba/Kasi as starters and Amira and Kamera as reserves. Odoba could also play alongside Amira. If Green stays, then that's even more depth.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
CannonVol80

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
Yeah I can see that also. But where would that leave Kasi? She'll only be a sophomore.

We can never have too many post players but I worry nonetheless because of our coaching staff. Developing and implementing the players into a system remains suspect. Unfortunately it's a balancing act for Tennessee. I'll take the best players foremost and worried about that other stuff later.
With Nelson-Ododa (hopefully) and Collins, we would have Cheridene Green as a RS-SR, Harris as a Jr and KK as a sophomore in 2018. Not by any means too many post players, and probably the right mix of talent.

Per the discussion about guards/wings, it is going to be hard to get a top ten point guard just because we will have Cooper as a RS-Jr and Hayes as a sophomore, but getting Massengill and Balogun (if they really are a package) and Izabella Nicoletti or Aquira DeCosta would ease the pain rather well, in my opinion

Jim
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #19
ladyvosl23

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
I do not think we get Olivia . As we will be post heavy but I do think we need a forward like Dixon and two guards that can shoot
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #20
Ladyvolfan4ever

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
Don't forget in2019 we get our second Hayes sister. We really need post players more in2018.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #21
Hangtyme24

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
I've read much about Ododa on the board but we already have a verbal at her position in Collins.

I'm thinking Christyn and Jazmine as LVs.

I prefer all three. I think Ododa and Collins would compliment each other nicely. Along with KK and Green (for her senior season.) And I almost forgot about Harris. That's a nice, versatile and lengthy post rotation. I really like both Christyn and Jazmine and hope they would like to play together at Tennessee, but for some reason I feel like it's one or the other. I hope I'm wrong though. The thought of a backcourt consisting of Cooper, Hayes, Westbrook, Davis and Massengill and/or Williams is scary. If Williams is a UCONN lean I'd pursue Massengill heavily. Both Cooper and Hayes are smaller guards and Massengill and Westbrook would give Tennessee length and capable defenders at the guard position, something we currently lack. I would consider Davis a wing, and wouldn't be surprised to see her starting her Sophomore year. With Diamond (if she stays for her SR season) and Nared graduating after next season, a wing like DeCosta should be a priority as well. But I really like Ododa, Williams and Massengill to go with Collins. But I'm just a fan who's optimistic about the future.

Last edited by Hangtyme24; 12-30-2016 at 02:04 AM..
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #22
PajiePoo

Jazmine Massengill took another unofficial visit to Tennessee for the game today.
VN Likes: 12
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #23
tennparker3

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
We are in good position with Nicoletti, Nelson-Ododa and DeCosta as of now, especially Nicoletti who has Evina in her ear from what I've heard.

Nicoletti is the best shooter/scorer in 2018, possibly in all of high school right now. The girl flat out just knocks down her shots and plays light years ahead of her age. I have heard 4 different people now who are close to the program say she is likely down to us and another school... not UConn though.

Nelson-Ododa is close with the DeShields camp and so there is an established connection. That will help with familiarity at least. She is not going to care about competition wherever she goes. She also trains with Kelley Cain.

DeCosta has been high on Tennessee for a long time now and I believe Jolette has been the main recruiter for her services and there is a close connection there. Aquira and Evina were AAU teammates and are close friends. We are in her top 6. She, IMO, is the best player in 2018 based on where she is at and her incredibly high potential.

The Tennessee girls will be high on our lists but we will have South Carolina and Kentucky going toe to toe with us, among others. I think between Dixon, Balogun and Massengill we have the best shot at Balogun. With Collins and if we get Nelson-Ododa I would expect our post recruiting to be done for 2018... Especially since DeCosta being a possibility and she can play the 3 or 4 spot.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #24
PajiePoo

If we can land Nicoletti that would huge specially because she is supeb passer which help when you have a ton talent on one team. Just look how Lonzo Ball from UCLA make such a different to that team with his passing. I also read that she as the attitude of Diana Taurasi when it comes to winning. To me that is very important because not all talent players have that I'm win at any cost mentality. Players that do have that mentality can elevate team to win no matter if the team is play bad and aren't afraid of the big moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennparker3 View Post
We are in good position with Nicoletti, Nelson-Ododa and DeCosta as of now, especially Nicoletti who has Evina in her ear from what I've heard.

Nicoletti is the best shooter/scorer in 2018, possibly in all of high school right now. The girl flat out just knocks down her shots and plays light years ahead of her age. I have heard 4 different people now who are close to the program say she is likely down to us and another school... not UConn though.

Nelson-Ododa is close with the DeShields camp and so there is an established connection. That will help with familiarity at least. She is not going to care about competition wherever she goes. She also trains with Kelley Cain.

DeCosta has been high on Tennessee for a long time now and I believe Jolette has been the main recruiter for her services and there is a close connection there. Aquira and Evina were AAU teammates and are close friends. We are in her top 6. She, IMO, is the best player in 2018 based on where she is at and her incredibly high potential.

The Tennessee girls will be high on our lists but we will have South Carolina and Kentucky going toe to toe with us, among others. I think between Dixon, Balogun and Massengill we have the best shot at Balogun. With Collins and if we get Nelson-Ododa I would expect our post recruiting to be done for 2018... Especially since DeCosta being a possibility and she can play the 3 or 4 spot.
VN Likes: 5
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 AM   #25
T.J.

Thanks to everyone for contributing there insight on the recruits! It's an exciting time right now especially that our Lady Vols are on a 5 game winning streak beating not one but two Top 25 teams in the process!

It appears that the team is trending up and not down.

GOLADYVOLS!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #26
mike099

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtorange View Post
Williams will be going to UCONN. I have heard that is a done deal.
That Williams girl looks great on the clips shown
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
volman128

Crystin Williams is indeed likely to go to UConn but it's somewhat odd because she isn't a good shooter at all. If she does go it would be back to back classes where Geno has taken a guard that can't shoot, as he took Mikayla Coombs in this class. It's very rare for UConn to have a guard on their team that cannot shoot, let alone more than one.

Tennessee is in good shape with Nelson-Ododa, DeCosta, Balogun and Massengil.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #28
alexvol

2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar 2018 LV Recruits on the Radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by volman128 View Post
Crystin Williams is indeed likely to go to UConn but it's somewhat odd because she isn't a good shooter at all. If she does go it would be back to back classes where Geno has taken a guard that can't shoot, as he took Mikayla Coombs in this class. It's very rare for UConn to have a guard on their team that cannot shoot, let alone more than one.

Tennessee is in good shape with Nelson-Ododa, DeCosta, Balogun and Massengil.
He has this strange habit of developing shooters .
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #29
blackv

jolette take a look at Sydni Lollar Greeneville high school Greeneville tn.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #30
volman128

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvol View Post
He has this strange habit of developing shooters .
There haven't been many. Moriah Jefferson comes to mind. She wasn't much of a perimeter shooter in high school. You could say Maya Moore but she had begun to substantially improve her three-point shot by her senior year of high school. But it's not like he has a huge list of guards who came into UConn who couldn't shoot but miraculously turned into shooters by the end of college. His main strength as a coach is molding and enhancing skills a player already has and getting players that fit his system -- like good shooters. Williams really doesn't fit his system very well at all.

Geno simply doesn't generally guards that can't shoot AND pass and all of his players are always good passers coming out of high school regardless of position. He has had a few players over the years that were better slashers than they were shooters -- Kalana Green and the player that transferred to Penn State come to mind -- but it's definitely not the norm. That's much more the norm for us, TBH.
Reply With Quote TOP