NY Times small piece on Pat Summitt

That was a great article with a few facts about her that I had not heard. Truly a great person and asset to the UT family. Man, it must be a little dusty in here.

The pioneer of women's college basketball , a great lady, and a great Tennessean . That's something no other womens can surpass.

Reactions: 1 person
Beautiful. We all miss her so much. I know I do. Regardless of our feelings about our current situation, coach, players, etc. if there is one thing we can agree on, it is our love and admiration of this fine lady and the program she established. God bless you, Pat.

Reactions: 7 people
Pat Summitt is,has been through her life,and always will be the epitome of CLASS. We were fortunate to have her,with her competitiveness,knowledge,and understanding of both the game and the myriad young ladies she coached. To say she was an Inspiration to all who knew her is an understatement. Sadly missed but never forgotten--- Coach Pat Summitt.

Reactions: 3 people
Pat Summitt is,has been through her life,and always will be the epitome of CLASS. We were fortunate to have her,with her competitiveness,knowledge,and understanding of both the game and the myriad young ladies she coached. To say she was an Inspiration to all who knew her is an understatement. Sadly missed but never forgotten--- Coach Pat Summitt.

This is why Candace Parker gave tribute to Pat when she won the 2016 championship with the LA Sparks. She cried and said, "This is for Pat!"

Reactions: 2 people
Love this part.

Summit avoided overt politics and the word “feminism.” She made statements through victories. She filled the arena, secured lucrative TV contracts and became the first female coach to earn $1 million a year. She refused offers to coach the University of Tennessee men’s basketball team and made sure everybody knew she did not consider the job a promotion.

Reactions: 3 people
That was a great article with a few facts about her that I had not heard. Truly a great person and asset to the UT family. Man, it must be a little dusty in here.

Stuff I hadn't heard either, but they fit her like a glove. But yeah, I need to replace the AC filters here too. Seems the dust problem is wide spread.

simply a legend in our time...we were so fortunate to have Pat...broke all the molds...might never see anything like her again...:peace2:

GO LADY VOLS!

Love this part.

Summit avoided overt politics and the word “feminism.” She made statements through victories. She filled the arena, secured lucrative TV contracts and became the first female coach to earn $1 million a year. She refused offers to coach the University of Tennessee men’s basketball team and made sure everybody knew she did not consider the job a promotion.

I don't think that Pat was offered the UT men's head coaching job.

The thread with "small piece" in it is sad. There was nothing small about our beloved CPS. I literally get sick to my stomache every time I think of Pat. It kills me that she died at 64. She could have coached at least 15 more years. Would love to have seen what MORE SHE WOULD HAVE accomplished. I am repulsed everytime I see Geno and that he broke her championship record. Someone the other day said he would like to see Geno coach here. WHAT! Omg. No way no how. I don't care how good he is. I know that's not even an option. But who would go against Pat like that!
Pat is women's basketball. She had integrity, discipline, an uncanny work ethic and the love of her players and the game. She was hard on her players at times but that's what it takes. She got dealt a ****ty hand.University of TN got dealt a ****ty hand. We got dealt a ****ty hand. I miss her so much. Volnation misses her so much. She will always be "lady vols basketball". She will always be THE PIONEER of women's basketball. I hope someday UT will be relevant again in basketball and football. Ugh. Ok gonna go wipe my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back