What did you take away from the win against Stanford?

LVJeff

I was surprised, but not shocked, at the win. Stanford I don't think is much more than a top-15 team and their talent level isn't any better than TN's.

Stanford also shot poorly. Maybe the trip east messed with them, I don't know, but they didn't play very well.

TN shoots 39% and Stanford shoots 36%. Stanford had 4 more turnovers, and one less three. That's the difference in the game.

TN's players logged heavy minutes. Nared, DD, and JR all three played 40 minutes, and Russell played 36. That can't be sustained in my opinion.

Nared may need or may become the LV's "cop". She seemed pretty animated today and got pretty close to being in the face of a couple of teammates today. Fine. The team badly needs a cop.

Russell continues to play steady ball. She outplayed McCall (or at the worst, they neutralized each other).

Reynolds is obeying her coach's instructions to shoot more. I hope she can make some shots as the season rolls on.

When the team plays hard, good things can happen. But 39% shooting and 8 assists isn't going to win too many ball games in tournament play.

Reactions: 7 people
I agree shooting percentage needs to go up to Atleast 43% to 45% but we can beat a lot of teams if we play the way we play today every game. I believe with confidence we can knock down more shots

Reactions: 1 person
I was surprised, but not shocked, at the win. Stanford I don't think is much more than a top-15 team and their talent level isn't any better than TN's.

Stanford also shot poorly. Maybe the trip east messed with them, I don't know, but they didn't play very well.

TN shoots 39% and Stanford shoots 36%. Stanford had 4 more turnovers, and one less three. That's the difference in the game.

TN's players logged heavy minutes. Nared, DD, and JR all three played 40 minutes, and Russell played 36. That can't be sustained in my opinion.

Nared may need or may become the LV's "cop". She seemed pretty animated today and got pretty close to being in the face of a couple of teammates today. Fine. The team badly needs a cop.

Russell continues to play steady ball. She outplayed McCall (or at the worst, they neutralized each other).

Reynolds is obeying her coach's instructions to shoot more. I hope she can make some shots as the season rolls on.

When the team plays hard, good things can happen. But 39% shooting and 8 assists isn't going to win too many ball games in tournament play.

Great observations .I would add that: any team that doesn't play some form of zone against the LV's for the majority of the game has not reviewed any film on LV's the last two years and deserves to lose; and ,the LV's are a much better defensive team in a zone and should play more of it.

Stanford has played mostly cupcakes. yeah, they have a win against texas, but all 3 (stanford, texas, tennessee) are right there together at the bottom of the pile. stanford lost at home to gonzaga...go figure.

Virginia tech played man beat us and Texas and Baylor ..teams play sagging man which is more affective than zone

I took from the game that: If we play hard all the time we can be pretty good and get to the tournament, that Jordan may have finally woke up, that MD has to go to hoop strong , that DD needs to act more like she is happy and having fun, that DD needs to hit the gimmies, that we still stand around way to much, that Middleton need to shoot the rock and we should not lose 14 this year but we still could!

Reactions: 3 people
Virginia tech played man beat us and Texas and Baylor ..teams play sagging man which is more affective than zone

Teams that have played zone against in last two years have won the majority of the games ....if they had played a sagging man who knows .But,to say a sagging man is more effective than a zone against this team is just not an accurate statement imo.

Last edited:
That Stanford is not a very good team, and that our ladies could be excellent with some direction and development.

Reactions: 2 people
A win against a quality team and we still hear the negatives. Now all of a sudden Stanford sucks and isn't very good. Truly unbelievable

Reactions: 17 people
I took from the game that: If we play hard all the time we can be pretty good and get to the tournament, that Jordan may have finally woke up, that MD has to go to hoop strong , that DD needs to act more like she is happy and having fun, that DD needs to hit the gimmies, that we still stand around way to much, that Middleton need to shoot the rock and we should not lose 14 this year but we still could!

That's about right.

Today's game showed that Tennessee can still bring a mean defensive effort to the court. They looked a lot better today than in past games. Better communication, better help defense, and just overall better awareness. Stanford is more of a finesse team, and the physical defense took them out of their offense and they weren't able to get into any sort of flow.

Tennessee's defense also carried their offense. They didn't have a whole lot of assists, and many of their points came off one-on-one plays.

All in all, there's a lot to be happy about. Winning a key OOC game vs. a top 10 team, playing together as a team, and they showed a lot of energy out there. There are still some issues with the offense that needs to be worked out, and it can come back to hurt them against teams that have more aggressive guards. But this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Reactions: 7 people
Today's game showed that Tennessee can still bring a mean defensive effort to the court. They looked a lot better today than in past games. Better communication, better help defense, and just overall better awareness. Stanford is more of a finesse team, and the physical defense took them out of their offense and they weren't able to get into any sort of flow.

Tennessee's defense also carried their offense. They didn't have a whole lot of assists, and many of their points came off one-on-one plays.

All in all, there's a lot to be happy about. Winning a key OOC game vs. a top 10 team, playing together as a team, and they showed a lot of energy out there. There are still some issues with the offense that needs to be worked out, and it can come back to hurt them against teams that have more aggressive guards. But this is definitely a step in the right direction.

I for one am very happy. Good win against a good Stanford team. :crazy:

This was a good win--and one that the team desperately needed. We've got more talent than Stanford--that's what I saw and VanderVeer suggested as much after the game. But they are well coached and could have beaten us had they made more than 4 three-point shots. The difference was that we played hard for most of the game, and we played much better defense today--for most of the game--than we have all year.

Really, though: My big takeaway from watching this game is that this performance should be our LOW BAR. This is the WORST that we should play, game in and game out. As nice and needed as this win was, we didn't play tremendously well. It was a solid game. We didn't shoot 40 percent. DD was 5 of 17, and Nared shot poorly too. We did nothing more than play hard consistently--for a change--on defense. And on offense, while we weren't great, we at least did not commit a lot of turnovers. We have some talent, size and athleticism--and when we play hard (which should be a given every game) and avoid stupid decisions, we can be pretty effective. We can be better than this--can shoot better. It's a solid win that looks better than it was, perhaps, because we are so used to seeing UT play poorly and underachieve--dramatically underachieve. We should never play worse than this. That's the message I'd be hammering home if I were Warlick--that this should be our starting point, that we can and must be better than this--but I suspect Warlick didn't give them that message.

I thought this was a 50/50 game, because the it was a home game and I suspected Stanford wasn't as good as their ranking. It will go down as a quality win for their March resume, which is something I never dreamed we would be worrying about in December...

She hinted that they gave up some looks and need to score more . This is a step in the right direction. If we beat Kentucky that wil be huge as well

A win against a quality team and we still hear the negatives. Now all of a sudden Stanford sucks and isn't very good. Truly unbelievable

Chris, I haven't seen anybody say Stanford sucks. If they did I missed it and I'm sorry about that. What I said was I don't think Stanford is much more than a top-15 team and their talent level isn't any better than TN's.

But on this board you get ripped if you say something positive and you get ripped if you say something not positive. So I try to say what I honestly think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Not you but several have said Stanford isn't very good, all of a sudden. Today TN played their asses off, competed the hardest I have seen them all year. Beat a top 10 team, and saying Stanford isn't very good is just wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people

Thanks, Chris. I'm glad you said it and not me. I'm just shaking my head as I read their "honest assessments" of their team.

Chris, I haven't seen anybody say Stanford sucks. If they did I missed it and I'm sorry about that. What I said was I don't think Stanford is much more than a top-15 team and their talent level isn't any better than TN's.

But on this board you get ripped if you say something positive and you get ripped if you say something not positive. So I try to say what I honestly think.

Honestly, I'm not trying to rip you. But the truth of your assessment and many others in this thread is that Stanford must not be good because TN isn't good and we won. We get the biggest win of the season against a ranked team, and suddenly that team we beat must be overrated.

Let's see, we're lucky. We won using a formula we can't sustain, so we're going to suffer in the tournament. Stanford must've had jet lag. And on & on.

I'm not the only person that sees this bad habit of negativity on here. We gotta shake it, look for the good in this team, or we will all be most miserable folks.

Reactions: 8 people
Honestly, I'm not trying to rip you. But the truth of your assessment and many others in this thread is that Stanford must not be good because TN isn't good and we won. We get the biggest win of the season against a ranked team, and suddenly that team we beat must be overrated.

Let's see, we're lucky. We won using a formula we can't sustain, so we're going to suffer in the tournament. Stanford must've had jet lag. And on & on.

I'm not the only person that sees this bad habit of negativity on here. We gotta shake it, look for the good in this team, or we will all be most miserable folks.

I never said any of this: Stanford must not be good, TN isn't good, or we're lucky.

I did say the trip might have messed with Stanford, (and I would be astounded if it didn't - West to East is the worst jet lag). But of course you'll accuse me of being negative. I also said IMO the heavy minutes can't be sustained. Sorry, I'm all negative again. Avert your eyes.

Why is it you ignore the other things I posted and cherry-picked a couple of what I consider to be neutral statements about minutes and traveling coast to coast?

As far as your comment "look for the good", my god, can't you read and/or comprehend the excitement at the win?? There are dozens of posts from happy posters talking about how to build on this win. If you're miserable you've made yourself so by ignoring all of that and taking offense at every sentence that doesn't meet your definition of positivity.

By the way, I'm glad you're not trying to rip me. I guess I'd be in the hospital if you were.

VN Store

Back