Game Thread Lady Vols vs Troy

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 1 person
Troy has a lot of players over 6'0 tall. Tennessee is playing without Diamond, so I hope all of the players go hard. This should be at least a 15 point win.

Would love to see them build on the last win by showing up focused and giving great effort.

I have found no confirmation that DD is out. Who said this?

It was in the "Diamond injured" thread. According to "insiders", she will skip the games vs. Troy and UNC-W and return for the Kentucky game.

Missing Diamond is a problem to work around for the LVs. But, I think the biggest test is can they bring the same level of defensive intensity and pace on the offense as they had against Stanford. The LVs, even without Diamond, are good enough to beat Troy with a lesser effort but the "Stanford standard" needs to become a habit. The LVs can't be a Jekyll and Hyde team and hope to have a strong SEC run.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Missing Diamond is a problem to work around for the LVs. But, I think the biggest test is can they bring the same level of defensive intensity and pace on the offense as they had against Stanford. The LVs, even without Diamond, are good enough to beat Troy with a lesser effort but the "Stanford standard" needs to become a habit. The LVs can't be a Jekyll and Hyde team and hope to have a strong SEC run.

I like the "Stanford standard." Let's keep that as a benchmark as the season continues : )

Last edited:
if I had nickle for all the things "insiders" make up, I'd have a lot of nickles. :(

It was in the "Diamond injured" thread. According to "insiders", she will skip the games vs. Troy and UNC-W and return for the Kentucky game.

If we can't beat the likes of Troy and UNCW without DD... I will be shocked.

UT #25 in the Sagarin ratings
Troy #115
UNCW #249

I hope Santa brings Holly a bottle of Tegrin for Xmas. Watching her scratch her head 10 times during a interview is turribull. :)

Troy may not be your average cupcake. Their current record is 6-3. They lost their first game to Auburn by 9 points. Their other two losses were to Jacksonville by 7 and UAB by 4. Their signature win would be against Villanova, which hey won by 8. That said, their schedule to date hasn't been a world beater, by any means.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, Troy has a number of players listed at over 6'. However, their tallest player is a 6'3" junior center who is averaging 12 minutes/game so far this year. The team strength appears to be depth because they have 10 players who are averaging double digit minutes, with only three of those getting more than 20 minutes/game and no one getting more than 24. Because of the number of players who see the floor, (or perhaps vice-versa) they commit a number of fouls, averaging 24.5/game.

While this should not be a particularly difficult game for the Lady Vols, it could also be a trap game, so the effort shown in the Stanford game needs to be duplicated here.

Jim

Reactions: 7 people
Points G Pts Pts/G

Russell, Mercedes 10 158 15.8

DeShields, Diamond 10 153 15.3

Nared, Jaime 10 140 14.0

Field Goal Attempts G Att Att/G

DeShields, Diamond 10 146 14.6
Nared, Jaime 10 118 11.8
Russell, Mercedes 10 108 10.8
Reynolds, Jordan 9 77 8.6
Middleton, Alexa 10 75 7.5

Field Goals Made G Made Made/G

DeShields, Diamond 10 59 5.9
Russell, Mercedes 10 57 5.7
Nared, Jaime 10 50 5.0
Middleton, Alexa 10 32 3.2
Reynolds, Jordan 9 27 3.0

Points G Pts Pts/G
Russell, Mercedes 10 158 15.8
DeShields, Diamond 10 153 15.3
Nared, Jaime 10 140 14.0
Middleton, Alexa 10 90 9.0
Reynolds, Jordan 9 61 6.8

Diamond has taken 30 to 40 more shots than Russell and Nared and is averaging right around the same amount of points per game. Here's to an efficient game ladies, Go Lady Vols.

Jordan, can you do it again, again, again, again?

Nared, can up yo production and own this team's play, if Diamond doesn't play.

Lady Vols by 10.

Last edited:
Troy may not be your average cupcake. Their current record is 6-3. They lost their first game to Auburn by 9 points. Their other two losses were to Jacksonville by 7 and UAB by 4. Their signature win would be against Villanova, which hey won by 8. That said, their schedule to date hasn't been a world beater, by any means.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, Troy has a number of players listed at over 6'. However, their tallest player is a 6'3" junior center who is averaging 12 minutes/game so far this year. The team strength appears to be depth because they have 10 players who are averaging double digit minutes, with only three of those getting more than 20 minutes/game and no one getting more than 24. Because of the number of players who see the floor, (or perhaps vice-versa) they commit a number of fouls, averaging 24.5/game.

While this should not be a particularly difficult game for the Lady Vols, it could also be a trap game, so the effort shown in the Stanford game needs to be duplicated here.

Jim
Great post. Thanks.

If we come out and play the aggressive style defense and intelligent offense we will win by 25 points. If we give half effort and go through the motions could be a single digit game. I am going to say Tennessee 80 Troy 58.

Jim

That's a lot of fouls. Need to shoot a good percentage from the foul line.

Jim

That was a very good post. Thank you.

Jim

I was thinking the same thing when I went to their Website the other day. The Lady Vols should still pull away fairly easily down the stretch, but Troy will definitely come in there thinking they've got a chance, especially since they know other unranked teams have already been able to knock them off.

VN Store

Back