Lady Vols Hoop Report 12/16

Take the hat off, look at the camera and do not shrug your shoulders. Her body language screams low confidence and a sense of defeat to me.

Reactions: 3 people
5-4 ? For THIS program? Unforgivable. It'll be funny to see the backtracking of the guys who said Holly should be let go "only if something crazy like not making the NCAA tournament happens". I'm telling you there is very real chance that happens. Tennessee gets alot of leeway and forgiveness becuz of our history....so it is possible Holly achieves that lofty "goal"...but it's no sure thing.

I love the # 1 class she has coming in....by doing that she deserves credit. She really does...but can she coach them to win? So far the history shows she can't. She lost horribly with 7 all americans. We'll see. I do hope for improbable to happen and she actually gets players to play at their potential. That'd be great.

Reactions: 4 people
An excerpt from coach Holly Warlick-

But the first quarter gets us in a hole so much that it’s hard to dig out. We are going to look at that, maybe shortening warm-ups a little bit. I don’t know, we haven’t gotten specific on what we’re going to do, but I think we are going to look at what we do through the warmup and try to keep them in that attacking mode while we go through our matchups and get introduced.”

Y'all got all of that?

1. Holly acknowledges the first quarter gets them into a hole.

2. Her answer to that issue is to shorten the warm ups a little bit?

3. Then she contradicts herself by stating that she doesn't know the specifics of how to solve the problem i.e. digging out of a first quarter hole.

4. The rest of her response is just gibberish gobbledeegook. :crazy:

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.....

GOLadyVols beat Stanford!

Last edited:
Yea, the part about warm-ups was pretty stupid. I don't think warm-ups are the problem. No, of course this team has very little confidence; that has been one of the problems with Warlick all along. SHE is not confident: She wasn't confident when she got the job---if you heard some of her first interviews it was clear how nervous and tentative (and over her head) she was--and all the losses we've suffered in recent years have only exacerbated the confidence issue.

The team did rally in the NCAA tournament last year, after a horrible regular season, I think because DD decided to stop pouting and started to just play basketball. I think DD just as too much self-awareness to be a great player. She's one of these athletes who've been told for too long, since an early age, how good they are--and they come to believe it, and they don't handle adversity well, at all. That's one of the numerous issues with this team that has quite a bit of (mostly unrealized) talent--the others being our coach, our low confidence level, our poor guard play, our lack of depth, our crap offense and poor fundamentals on defense. Other than that, we are crushing it, baby.

Reactions: 2 people

But the first quarter gets us in a hole so much that it’s hard to dig out. We are going to look at that, maybe shortening warm-ups a little bit. I don’t know, we haven’t gotten specific on what we’re going to do, but I think we are going to look at what we do through the warmup and try to keep them in that attacking mode while we go through our matchups and get introduced.”

Y'all got all of that?

3. Then she contradicts herself by stating that she doesn't know the specifics of how to solve the problem i.e. digging out of a first quarter hole.

She said her and the staff haven't yet decided what they're going to do.

I don't see why that would be the least bit controversial.

Reactions: 2 people

Y'all got all of that?

I don't see where she said she was going to shorten the warm-ups, she just said they would look at what they do through the warmup and try to keep them in attack mode - whatever that means.

But I agree with you, warm-ups hardly seem the problem. This team's problems are structural and systemic. Their problems are rooted in the way the team is put together, the way they train, the way they practice, and how they're taught. I don't think anything will change until all of that changes.

I will add that the team's lack of intensity and on-court chemistry is as disturbing as anything else. Last season I never questioned the team's effort. This season it's apparent some of the the team isn't playing hard all the time.

What's unknown is whether their lack of effort is because of their lack of preparation, training, and teaching, or whether they can't be taught because they refuse to put out the effort.

I'm going to agree with armchair's response. It starts at the top and the top doesn't have confidence and it comes all the way down to the team. Holly is lost and so is the team. Time to give it up Holly. You will always be remembered as a true Lady Vol. But, you are in over your head!! :lolabove:

She said her and the staff haven't yet decided what they're going to do.

I don't see why that would be the least bit controversial.

Haven't yet decided what to do?

Wasted money by the University of Tennessee athletic department by keeping Holly on as coach. Find a coach that can decide immediately what to do.

You're waiting on Holly to decide what to do! smh:thud:

Haven't yet decided what to do?

Wasted money by the University of Tennessee athletic department by keeping Holly on as coach. Find a coach that can decide immediately what to do.

You're waiting on Holly to decide what to do! smh:thud:

Yes, there's no reason to examine the options and discuss them with the rest of the staff about the best way to do something. Just come up with an immediate decision and go with it. That's always the best way. :blink:

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, there's no reason to examine the options and discuss them with the rest of the staff about the best way to do something. Just come up with an immediate decision and go with it. That's always the best way. :blink:

The Cardinal will be here tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions, we will see if Holly came up with anything by the time that 1st quarter rolls along.

I will add that the team's lack of intensity and on-court chemistry is as disturbing as anything else. Last season I never questioned the team's effort. This season it's apparent some of the the team isn't playing hard all the time.

What's unknown is whether their lack of effort is because of their lack of preparation, training, and teaching, or whether they can't be taught because they refuse to put out the effort.

I also thought the players were playing hard, but they look like they have no idea what they are doing. The team looks lost on the court.

VN Store

Back