Baylor defeats Winthrop 140-32

Only1COJ

Wow, was this really necessary??

- largest margin of victory in NCAAW history
- 2nd most points scored in NCAAW history

Kim, put on the brakes when Baylor played UT.
How embarrassing for lil ole' Winthrop...

Reactions: 1 person
Kim got her money's worth with this one. I didn't see the game, but her bench... particularly freshmen Lauren Cox and Natalie Chou...played big minutes and had their best games of the season (23 pts 8rbd 4 blks for Lauren, 14 pts, 4 triples, 5 rbds and 6 assts for Natalie). That will be good for them to build their confidence and gives them valuable game experience. In all, 12 players played 13+ minutes and no starter played more than 21 min.

Truthfully, I was hoping the App State game would have been similar, and Kamera would get to shine, but I think my expectations for her may have been too high. Poor Winthrop, though. Blanked 29-0 in the 4Q. Bet Schaquila is glad she transferred.

Reactions: 2 people
Just like the Ole Ball coach said "it is my job to try and score, it is your job to try and stop me. It's not my fault if your defense is not good enough".

Such a disgrace and typical with her SOS rank at 293. I used to like Frese but not anymore.

No requirement to have any class in the NCAA. Obviously none on display during this game.

No requirement to have any class in the NCAA. Obviously none on display during this game.

Should Baylor have stopped playing? Just hand the ball back to Winthrop after a defensive stop and say, "Great job! You almost got it. Here, try again!"

They sat Alexis Jones, played most of the starters for half the game, and let the bench play the majority of the 2nd half. All 12 Baylor players tallied 12+ minutes. This was a great opportunity for players like Cox and Chou to get playing time. What good would it have done Kim to have them play half-speed because they don't want to hurt the other team's feelings?

The problem is they should not schedule teams ranked this low (ranked 341 of 349 by Sagarin and 346 by Massey). They would get more out of a good practice.

The problem is they should not schedule teams ranked this low (ranked 341 of 349 by Sagarin and 346 by Massey). They would get more out of a good practice.

Everyone schedules cupcakes. Just look at some of the teams Tennessee has played so far. Appalachian State is barely better than Winthrop.

It's good exposure for the smaller school...even if it's a drubbing.

However there are cupcakes and then there are the little sprinkles that go on the cupcakes, Winthrop wasn't even a sprinkle.

However there are cupcakes and then there are the little sprinkles that go on the cupcakes, Winthrop wasn't even a sprinkle.

Winthrop was on Tennessee's schedule 2 years ago.

Cupcakes, sprinkles...all the same once you get past 200 or so in the RPI.

Reactions: 2 people
You saw that too,,, huh?

I'm not sure what Kim's relationship with Holly is like but her love and admiration for Coach Pat runs deep...as does all of Baylor Nation. It's a respect she learned as a player at La Tech and as a member of Pat's Olympic team. Mulkey would never do anything to disrespect the memory of Coach Pat...especially in Pat's house.

Reactions: 3 people
I was at the BU- Winthrop game. I can tell you it was an epic mis-match. If Mulkey had played only the bottom 5 players for the entire game it would have still been a 70+ point victory. I have never seen such an inept team in college ranks. Yet they had two fairly good players. Every one else merely run up and down the floor. Some on social media are saying that baylor should have just passed the ball around taking a shot clock violation or merely passed the ball back to them to show a little mercy. I can't help but believe that those who say such never played much sports. It's awful hard to tell your team not to perform.

Winthrop was on Tennessee's schedule 2 years ago.

Cupcakes, sprinkles...all the same once you get past 200 or so in the RPI.
Yep. Florida St, Michigan and Ohio St are also on Winthrop's schedule this season. Sometimes things aren't actually as they appear. Kim added Winthrop to the schedule as a favor for a lifelong friend and Olympic teammate.

ROCK HILL, SC—Basketball legend Lynette Woodard, a two-time U.S. Olympian, a four-time All-American, the all-time Division I women's scoring leader, a 10-time Hall of Fame inductee, and the first woman to play for the world-renowned Harlem Globetrotters has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Winthrop women's basketball program, it was announced today by head coach Kevin Cook.

They became close as teammates on Pat Summit's 1984 Olympic squad.

Kevin Lee Cook (born February 7, 1961)[1] is an American basketball coach, and former collegiate athlete, who is now the women's basketball head coach at Winthrop University.[2][3] He also serves as head coach/technical advisor of the Nigerian women's basketball U-19 National team.[4] He served as the Nigerian National team coach from 2006 to 2008.[5] Cook, was also an assistant coach for the WNBA Houston Comets from 1997 to 2007.

In a 2011 interview with NCAA.com, Gallaudet All-American Easter Faafiti said of Cook: "He's like my father on the east coast. He has actually taught me a lot of things I never knew or realized about basketball or had even heard of before Coach Cook sat down and explained them to me."[6]

I'm sure Coaches Cook and Woodard have a plan. What that plan is...who knows?

Last edited:
I thought so, too, when I saw it live. But on replay, she played her starters almost to the end.

At least, that's what I recall. I've slept since then.

She pulled her starters at about the five minute mark, except for Prince and Jones. Chou, Cox and Cohen were on court at the end of the game.

I think the unwritten rule in games between top teams is when the losing team pulls their starters, the other team follows suit. Tennessee kept their starters in the whole game against Baylor's freshmen, which is the main reason they cut a 36 point lead down to the final margin of victory. If Kim kept Wallace and Davis out there, they probably would have increased the lead above 36 points.

Oh, that's silly supposition. We played everyone but the frosh Harris. So the coach that had her team best Winthrop by over 100 points took it easy on us. Riiight.

Raoul (from mich is much followed by the twitter wbb world for his insight) tweeted the following article on this
Baylor women’s basketball openly lies about its blowout disgraces | New York Post

by the way, fantastic victory over Stanford today!!!!

The article misses the point of competition - which is, of course, to compete. To try. To play hard. To give your all.

Whether Winthrop competed or not I don't know. But I do know if you're Baylor you can't learn how to compete if you're told not to try. To go slow. Don't do anything to make the opponent look bad. They might get their feelings hurt.

It's all Tommyrot. Winthrop knew exactly what was in store for them when they scheduled the game and if they don't like it don't schedule Baylor any more. But the fact is the Winthrops of the world schedule games like this all the time to get a paycheck, to get exposure, to have their players see and experience something they normally wouldn't.

Life is tough. The people that compete generally make out better than those who don't.

Let's make sure to award Winthrop their 'Participation Trophy' so they'll think they won.

Reactions: 3 people
The article misses the point of competition - which is, of course, to compete. To try. To play hard. To give your all.

Whether Winthrop competed or not I don't know. But I do know if you're Baylor you can't learn how to compete if you're told not to try. To go slow. Don't do anything to make the opponent look bad. They might get their feelings hurt.

It's all Tommyrot. Winthrop knew exactly what was in store for them when they scheduled the game and if they don't like it don't schedule Baylor any more. But the fact is the Winthrops of the world schedule games like this all the time to get a paycheck, to get exposure, to have their players see and experience something they normally wouldn't.

Life is tough. The people that compete generally make out better than those who don't.

Let's make sure to award Winthrop their 'Participation Trophy' so they'll think they won.

That writer is pathetic. Watching the highlights, many of the fast breaks came off of turnovers. If you get a turnover ahead of the pack with a clear path to the basket, are they expected to just stop playing? The bench players needs practice, and this was a chance for them to get some confidence.

I doubt Winthrop is complaining nearly as much as these soft writers. It seems they should be getting the Participation Trophy, not the basketball players.

VN Store

Back