Pat's Record in the early 80's

SoDak_LV_Fan

With all the Holly bashing and negative support of the program, I just wanted to point out Pat Summitt's record from the early 80's.
1981-82: 22-10
1982-83: 25-8
1983-84: 23-10
1984-85: 22-10
1985-86: 24-10
The '81/'82 season was Pat's 6th year or so as HC. Pat indeed created a monster in what is now the Lady Vol fan base which is the best in the country, but times like now can be the worst. Holly knows first hand the standard set by Pat. She is working her damnedest to get things figured out. We all need to do our part and support her and the team!

Reactions: 4 people
With all the Holly bashing and negative support of the program, I just wanted to point out Pat Summitt's record from the early 80's.
The '81/'82 season was Pat's 6th year or so as HC. Pat indeed created a monster in what is now the Lady Vol fan base which is the best in the country, but times like now can be the worst. Holly knows first hand the standard set by Pat. She is working her damnedest to get things figured out. We all need to do our part and support her and the team!

This is apples and oranges and proves absolutely nothing. Pat was building a program from the ground up, a program with virtually zero name recognition in a sport that also had zero name recognition.

In the wake of Pat's sickness yes the program had suffered some, but there were still top notch recruits and the talent to compete. However, as her influence has waned and Holly's has taken over we are seeing the true face of a once-great program turned dumpster fire.

Regardless of the recruits Warlick brings, it will continue to be so because she has shown an inability to manage players, refine talent, and coach a team up.

The ONLY way to make the Lady Vols great again is to cut ties with HW and bring in a real coach. Period. Any other view is simply delusional.

Reactions: 12 people

Pat had to build the program, Holly doesn't. Unfortunately she has let it slide considerably. We gave her a chance and it is time to move on.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree with the response that this is an imbalanced comparison (building a program versus taking over an established program). But even if we accept the comparison as valid, you are omitting some key outcomes:

1979–80 Tennessee 33–5 AIAW Runner-up
1980–81 Tennessee 25–6 AIAW Runner-up
1981–82 Tennessee 22–10 NCAA Final Four
1982–83 Tennessee 25–8 7–1 1st (East) NCAA Elite Eight
1983–84 Tennessee 23–10 7–1 T–1st (East) NCAA Runner-up
1984–85 Tennessee 22–10 4–4 T–2nd (East) NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1985–86 Tennessee 24–10 5–4 5th NCAA Final Four
1986–87 Tennessee 28–6 6–3 T–4th NCAA Champions

Over those years, we had six final four appearances (3 in the championship game) and a first NC in 86-87.

I don't think this has any bearing on Holly's situation but lets not make it look like the LVs were not an elite team in these seasons. In those days, there was an expectation that the LV grew and became battle tested from their early season, tough match-ups and come tournament time look out. If the LVs had a trajectory where early season losses were part of the process that led to final fours, I don't think there would be much complaining about a 4-4 start.

Reactions: 5 people
working like heck?

I did not realize that Charles Manson had internet access in jail.:thumbsup:

Holly will be here for this year and at a minimum thru the next year. She was smart to hire the assistant for recruiting, now cut loose someone else and get an assistant that knows and teaches offense.

Another big difference was that Pat Summitt was a 22 year old coach with zero experience when she started building the program. Warlick was an assistant for nearly 30 years before she inherited an established, legendary program.

Reactions: 6 people

Pat's 6th year as a head coach was Pat's 6th year to coach AT ALL. Holly, on the other hand, had been in the coaching business -- most of those years studying under Pat -- for decades when she took over at Tennessee.

Yours is really not the strongest of comparisons.

Reactions: 2 people
Another big difference was that Pat Summitt was a 22 year old coach with zero experience when she started building the program. Warlick was an assistant for nearly 30 years before she inherited an established, legendary program.

Sorry, brassie. I dashed off a quick response to the OP before reading anything else. You'd already made the points I only repeated.

I did not realize that Charles Manson had internet access in jail.:thumbsup:

Holly will be here for this year and at a minimum thru the next year. She was smart to hire the assistant for recruiting, now cut loose someone else and get an assistant that knows and teaches offense.

a good leader. She does not have the personality needed for the job. She is weak. How to explain why she is always complaining, after a loss, about lack of effort. That bespeaks major problems. When you have to praise your team for "competing," as she did after the texas game, you got major problems.

I don't think Pat came in with 5 star players up and down the bench, she built the team and the tradition from scratch. Warlick inherited one the best traditions in all women's sports and she is letting it go to pot. If you were a true Lady Vol fan you would compare the two. She is one of the worse people pretending to be a coach that I have ever seen. A win against a high school team tonight, so what. Lets see what she can do against Stanford at home on Sunday.

Reactions: 3 people
This is apples and oranges and proves absolutely nothing. Pat was building a program from the ground up, a program with virtually zero name recognition in a sport that also had zero name recognition.

In the wake of Pat's sickness yes the program had suffered some, but there were still top notch recruits and the talent to compete. However, as her influence has waned and Holly's has taken over we are seeing the true face of a once-great program turned dumpster fire.

Regardless of the recruits Warlick brings, it will continue to be so because she has shown an inability to manage players, refine talent, and coach a team up.

The ONLY way to make the Lady Vols great again is to cut ties with HW and bring in a real coach. Period. Any other view is simply delusional.

Yup, construction and demolition are two separate entities that share one thing in common ...Change!

Holly and Dooley have something in common. They both took over great programs and have steadily made them decline since.

She gets 1 more year because of the #1 recruiting class coming in. Better turn the page or it's she gone!

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

In the early years, Pat had to wash the players uniforms and drove her car to some games. Now Tennessee has over 1,000,000 budget to recruit players.

C'mon. 5-4 and out of the top 25 for a second consecutive year is an outright insult to the memory and legacy of Pat Summitt. It's a pathetic travesty to what Pat built at UT. For this program to fall THIS FAR ...THIS FAST is unconscionable.

Reactions: 2 people

I hate when people kept making excuses for holly. To compare pat team 1981 and Holly team now, I would say that holly got good players than pat then.So, whether pat was 24-10 win doesn't matter because the entire team was improving.

VN Store

Back