Offense against the Zone defenses

alexvol

If anyone is watching the Men's Basketball game tonight,that is what the offense should look like in attacking a zone defense.Coach Barnes has it drilled into this young team .Would hope that Holly is watching also and she would ask Coach Barnes to come by her practices and give her and the team some pointers in attacking zone defenses.

If anyone is watching the Men's Basketball game tonight,that is what the offense should look like in attacking a zone defense.Coach Barnes has it drilled into this young team .Would hope that Holly is watching also and she would ask Coach Barnes to come by her practices and give her and the team some pointers in attacking zone defenses.

You would think she would've been approached him (not saying she hasn't but I hope she has) I'm sure coach Summitt & Bruce Pearl picked one another brains when the two of them were at the Helm

Reactions: 1 person

yeah, this was brought up right after Coach Barnes got here...:)

GO ALL VOLS!

yeah, this was brought up right after Coach Barnes got here...:)

GO ALL VOLS!

Hmmm, so how are you all feeling about that offense attacking the zone with those 13 turnovers in the Men's Ball 2nd half? What about losing a 20 point lead at home and nearly the game to TN Tech?

Where are the FIRE RICK BARNES angry villagers with torches and pitchforks?

What, no? Lol.

Reactions: 5 people
You would think she would've been approached him (not saying she hasn't but I hope she has) I'm sure coach Summitt & Bruce Pearl picked one another brains when the two of them were at the Helm

She may have been approached,
but declined.

Wouldn't it be easier just to hire someone who can coach?

Reactions: 2 people
We take a lot of bad shots in every game we play. We get a lot of good looks every game we play even against zones. Players still have to hit those shots. We all know about Holly's shortcomings as a coach but most of our players are terrible inconsistent shooters.

The team played Holly ball in the second half 12 turnovers and scored only 31 points.

We take a lot of bad shots in every game we play. We get a lot of good looks every game we play even against zones. Players still have to hit those shots. We all know about Holly's shortcomings as a coach but most of our players are terrible inconsistent shooters.

Have you ever re-watched a game and broke it down, to be able to say this? . . I watched the last two games twice. Our shot selection wasn't bad, our percentage hitting those open looks was....Our lack of boxing out on both offense and defense was poor...Our missing uncontested layups was way too high. Still other mental mistakes......

All of the above have to do with mental preparation and mental "correct-ability" while in-game.

Are you referring to your approach???? Which she politely declined......

I would have had over six weeks of intensive instruction with Meme. . . Meme's game did not improve over the summer as it is.

You don't just politely decline help for your players before assessing the coach who is volunteering to help and seeing if they can indeed improve your player.
OR
You have a plan to do it yourself.

But you don't eliminate potential coaching unless you have something or someone better, planned

Last edited:
I presume that she was thinking of avoiding some kind of ncaa violation? you know they hate us don't ya?

If you as a coach do not correct the mistakes of the players, you are the problem. None of these girls were less than stellar in high school. Has the competition gotten better, of course. The team is only as good as the person who decides who will be in the lineup. I don't think these girls are intentionally trying to lose ballgames. They quite simply have not be coached to the present level of play!

Reactions: 3 people
Hmmm, so how are you all feeling about that offense attacking the zone with those 13 turnovers in the Men's Ball 2nd half? What about losing a 20 point lead at home and nearly the game to TN Tech?

What, no? Lol.

Tenn Tech did not play a zone defense in 2nd half because UT shredded it in the 1st half.

The team played Holly ball in the second half 12 turnovers and scored only 31 points.

Tech did not play a zone defense in 2nd half because UT shredded it in 1st half and built a 22 point lead.Tech extended their man defense in 2nd half and disrupted the Vol offense and the young team did not adjust to it very well.

I would have had over six weeks of intensive instruction with Meme. . . Meme's game did not improve over the summer as it is.

You don't just politely decline help for your players before assessing the coach who is volunteering to help and seeing if they can indeed improve your player.
OR
You have a plan to do it yourself.

But you don't eliminate potential coaching unless you have something or someone better, planned

But didn't she assess you and decline after she found out you were bashing her and her coaching abilities on this site....isn't that what you said???

What, no? Lol.

All the torches and pitchforks are already checked out!

But didn't she assess you and decline after she found out you were bashing her and her coaching abilities on this site....isn't that what you said???

I didn't bash her. I critiqued the staff, lack of fundamental skills, and the lack of an influence who can read these athletes. Holly even said in her presser that she can't seem to figure out how to read these players.

Bashing is done with intent to defame....Critiquing is done with detailed analysis and assessment of something.
I analyzed the problems, assessed and gave input as to how to solve the problem.

That is not Bashing!

Reactions: 5 people
All the torches and pitchforks are already checked out!

They might should've waited. You know, I follow most all TN sports and other sports, so I hear a lot of press conferences and see a lot of games.

What we see from this LV team is not that unusual. And even the most recent Rick Barnes' presser contained some of the same stuff as HW is criticized for on here.

There were stammering and head-scratching moments. HE had no explanation for some things that went wrong. He said, "I DON'T KNOW."

Sure, I can see that RB is more gregarious than HW. BUT he is also entertaining because he will be snarky and throw his players under the bus in the media. HW doesn't do that. And I'm glad. RB has also been doing this head coach thing for a long time.

I say all this to remind us that folks are a bit too tough on HW. They are all pre-judging her because Pat died and she's not Pat. If TN had hired any outside coach, they would've gotten a pass.

There's been some drop off here and there, but also some fine results under HW's tenure. Elite 8's & SEC Champs are not something to overlook.

Just a reminder for us. Now go back to bashing and naysaying at your leisure.

Last edited:

Maybe Rick Barnes should ask HW how to hold a big halftime lead over a less talented opponent and not turn it over 13 times in a half. What? Where are the Barnes bashing comments? Lol

Maybe Rick Barnes should ask HW how to hold a big halftime lead over a less talented opponent and not turn it over 13 times in a half. What? Where are the Barnes bashing comments? Lol

You did not watch the game did you?The men's BB team is playing 4 games in 7 days and Coach Barnes understands that he needed to substitute liberally ( play lots of folks to keep the legs fresh.He has not settled yet on an 7/8 man rotation and he is still experimenting to find those 8 going into the SEC games.With 8 freshmen on this young team ,some of the ups and downs and inconsistency is to be expected.By the way ,I again state that no zone was played in the 2nd half and would you please point out where I have bashed Coach Warlick in this thread ? I said that Coach Barnes team understands how to attack a zone and Coach Warlick would be well served to ask his help since the zone has completely shut down the Lady Vols in every game for the last twp years.If you consider that bashing so be it .....we have different view of what bashing someone really consists of.You will have no trouble understanding me when I bash someone.

Reactions: 3 people
You did not watch the game did you?The men's BB team is playing 4 games in 7 days and Coach Barnes understands that he needed to substitute liberally ( play lots of folks to keep the legs fresh.He has not settled yet on an 7/8 man rotation and he is still experimenting to find those 8 going into the SEC games.With 8 freshmen on this young team ,some of the ups and downs and inconsistency is to be expected.By the way ,I again state that no zone was played in the 2nd half and would you please point out where I have bashed Coach Warlick in this thread ? I said that Coach Barnes team understands how to attack a zone and Coach Warlick would be well served to ask his help since the zone has completely shut down the Lady Vols in every game for the last twp years.If you consider that bashing so be it .....we have different view of what bashing someone really consists of.You will have no trouble understanding me when I bash someone.

When you suggest in an environment such as this where HW is negatively reviewed in most every thread, that HW could take a few lessons from CRB, I just wanted fair "suggestions" where you give HW credit since her team performed in a superior manner in areas where CRB's team failed. Limiting turnovers and holding a lead, for example.

What I sense is that CRB gets a pass because he's new and blames the players A LOT. Nevermind that he's been a head basketball coach for decades where HW has not.

I watched the men's game twice. Live and recorded. So, yes I know of which I speak.

Not trying to upset folks as much as I'd just like to start a better way of thinking.

Sorry, if I misread your post, Alex.

Last edited:
Have you ever re-watched a game and broke it down, to be able to say this? . . I watched the last two games twice. Our shot selection wasn't bad, our percentage hitting those open looks was....Our lack of boxing out on both offense and defense was poor...Our missing uncontested layups was way too high. Still other mental mistakes......

All of the above have to do with mental preparation and mental "correct-ability" while in-game.

They have missed about half of wide open layups for years. They seldom used the board on short shots and try to use fitness on all short shots. We have some big-strong players who can power up to hit layups. We have lost a lot of games because of their inability to hit layups. That and a large number of turnovers trying to force the ball into the middle instead of penetrating and dishing off can win most of the games we have lost in the past 4-5 years.

They have missed about half of wide open layups for years. They seldom used the board on short shots and try to use fitness on all short shots. We have some big-strong players who can power up to hit layups. We have lost a lot of games because of their inability to hit layups. That and a large number of turnovers trying to force the ball into the middle instead of penetrating and dishing off can win most of the games we have lost in the past 4-5 years.

What upsets me personally is that these things are for the most part mental miscues and should have been addressed in the summer workouts.

VN Store

Back