Tenn absent from Creme's Bracketology

lmao. I realize this is going to sound like a broken record but Holly needs to go...in a bad kind of way. If she misses out on the tournament, for the first time in UT's existence, God help her. It's beyond embarrassing at this point. Talk about the class she has coming in next year all you want. I have no confidence that she can coach them either.

Reactions: 9 people
It's early in the season, so I suspect Bracketology will look very different from what the final version looks like.

What's alarming is that there is a very high likelihood that Tennessee will not have a single non-conference win against a decent team if they don't beat Stanford (they have no chance vs. ND). With how weak the SEC is this year, even if they finish above 50-50 in the standings, it's highly likely that they won't get an at-large bid if their best wins are against the likes of Alabama, LSU and Auburn.

Reactions: 3 people
Missing the tournament should 100% of the time be fireable. I don't care if it puts the recruiting class at risk. We basically have a de facto #1 class already on the team with DeShields and Russell and still suck.

Reactions: 4 people
"Holly Warlick's club fought chemistry issues and stumbled through the meat of the SEC schedule in 2015-16, it still had big nonleague wins over Syracuse and Oregon State, two eventual Final Four teams, as a foundation. The Lady Vols don't have that this year -- and they won't. They lost four of their last five games, falling to every quality foe they encountered (Penn State, Virginia Tech, Baylor and Texas).

Tennesee's schedule wasn't even as tough this year, and with only Sunday's matchup with Stanford at Thompson-Bolling and a mid-January Big Monday game against Notre Dame, the opportunity for quality wins might have to come in the SEC. If Tennessee goes 8-8 with a win at Missouri being its best -- like in 2016 -- the Lady Vols likely won't make the NCAA tournament this time. That would be a program first. (They were a No. 7 seed last season.)"

:thud:

Ok after reading Creme's dismal report on the LVs I say that Tennessee will need to right the ship like RIGHT NOW!

They can only afford to lose 1 or two more games and those games must be quality losses to the likes of Stanford, Notre Dame, South Carolina or Mississippi State.

If they lose to anymore unranked teams the party is over. Wait till next year, indeed.

Win out or go bust?

GOLadyVols!

Reactions: 1 person
It's early in the season, so I suspect Bracketology will look very different from what the final version looks like.

What's alarming is that there is a very high likelihood that Tennessee will not have a single non-conference win against a decent team if they don't beat Stanford (they have no chance vs. ND). With how weak the SEC is this year, even if they finish above 50-50 in the standings, it's highly likely that they won't get an at-large bid if their best wins are against the likes of Alabama, LSU and Auburn.

What makes you think they'll beat those teams? They lost to Alabama and LSU last season also that was with Bashaara Graves.

Shaquilla Nunn and Kamera Harris replaced Graves at her position and tha position is not given the LVs hardly any production at all.

I truelly hope Tennessee will get it together and start playing to win. I know if they do Holly will remain the coach but I'd rather for the LVs to win then just get rid of Holly at this point. It hurts my feelings that the team that I love cheering for is in a world of trouble. Teams just do not respect them anymore. They go into game knowing they can beat them.

Tennessee has to get that kick @ss attitude from the tip off to the buzzer. No more letting teams thinking they have a chance!

I think you have to have a certain amount of wins to get in.........I don't know if replacing Holly is good or bad........who would want to come to a University that has a legend like Pat Summit and play under that shadow?

I think this is a real issue with replacing Holly.

I think you have to have a certain amount of wins to get in.........I don't know if replacing Holly is good or bad........who would want to come to a University that has a legend like Pat Summit and play under that shadow?

Any coach worth their salt would. Why would you want a coach who is afraid of CPS shadow?

An interesting POV. There are constant posts about how any coach anywhere would give their eyeteeth to come to Tennessee. Whether that's true or not, why WOULDN'T a coach come to TN? Several possible reasons:

1-You have to like who you work for, and right now that's an unknown.
2-You and your family have to want to move to Knoxville. I've lived all over the US and most areas have at best a dim view of the south. For those of you living in the south, no insult intended, but that's been my experience.
3-You have to presumably get a bigger salary than your current job.
4-Various family circumstances. Maybe you'd like the job but are too tied to another place or have kids in high school, any number of other reasons.

Like others, I tend to think TN can get about any coach they want within reason. (I've always differed with the standard lists of Mulkey, Walz, Frese, etc - I don't want any of them). But as the POV above illustrates, it's not a given that everybody wants to come to TN.

It will be hard (imo) but Rutgers got in one year at like 18-12. There is no room for error at this point and them being Tennessee will give them the benefit of the doubt in the committees eyes. If they don't make it, hopefully it will be a wake up call to Holly that she has to right the ship.

I have been hard on her but I really don't want to see her lose her job because of how much I know this program means to her but the definition of insanity is very clear and we can't continue to do the same things over and over again expecting different results.

Let's get it together ladies! Right the ship and shock the world. It is in you, you have to let it out, play for the name on the front of your jersey and not what would be on the back of it and play together despite what your feel Holly can or can't do. The pieces are there, the execution isn't and that has to be corrected by everyone involved!

Go Lady Vols!

I believe we beat Stanford and Kentucky and knock off ms state. I think we finish between 13-3 and 12-4 in sec

Curious why you think they can beat Miss State? MS beat Tennessee twice last year, and they return their entire roster plus some additions while Tennessee loses Graves, Carter and Cooper from the last year's team. They are a tough matchup because they have to dedicate either Jaime or Diamond to shadow Vivians the entire game...otherwise she will go off. That means you can't be afraid to lose either of them to fouls.

Miss State looked impressive in dismantling Texas earlier this year with Ariel Atkins (who missed the Tennessee game) playing.

An interesting POV. There are constant posts about how any coach anywhere would give their eyeteeth to come to Tennessee. Whether that's true or not, why WOULDN'T a coach come to TN? Several possible reasons:

1-You have to like who you work for, and right now that's an unknown.
2-You and your family have to want to move to Knoxville. I've lived all over the US and most areas have at best a dim view of the south. For those of you living in the south, no insult intended, but that's been my experience.
3-You have to presumably get a bigger salary than your current job.
4-Various family circumstances. Maybe you'd like the job but are too tied to another place or have kids in high school, any number of other reasons.

Like others, I tend to think TN can get about any coach they want within reason. (I've always differed with the standard lists of Mulkey, Walz, Frese, etc - I don't want any of them). But as the POV above illustrates, it's not a given that everybody wants to come to TN.

I don't want any of them either to be honest. They haven't really impressed me, their programs have been good for years but what have they truly shown for it, I get it UConn has been dominant but some of those teams have had far more talent (according to rankings) than UConn at times.

We signed nobody last year--that is a firing offense. And the year before that we signed two players, also not good. Anybody who thinks next year's class is going to make us better is delusional. We've got considerable talent on this team--they just don't perform and don't respond to our coach or staff. When a coach, eight games into a season with a veteran team, tells you after the fourth loss in a row that she's proud that her team competed, you've got major problems. That should not even be a consideration. It's bad enough that our fundamentals and our system and our /basketball/ often stinks, but we have effort problems too! Oh, my.

Reactions: 2 people
We signed nobody last year--that is a firing offense. And the year before that we signed two players, also not good. Anybody who thinks next year's class is going to make us better is delusional. We've got considerable talent on this team--they just don't perform and don't respond to our coach or staff. When a coach, eight games into a season with a veteran team, tells you after the fourth loss in a row that she's proud that her team competed, you've got major problems. That should not even be a consideration. It's bad enough that our fundamentals and our system and our /basketball/ often stinks, but we have effort problems too! Oh, my.

Ok, but we signed 3 players last year. NOT the best, but they were role players in a position of need. Carter & Cooper both not playing is unfortunate and unusual.

The year before we signed just two but they were both Top 50. Wasn't Cooper the MVP of the McD's AA game? Some services had her a top 3 player in the
country. Even ESPN who had her 3rd until she comitted to TN, ranked her 12th and our overall class at 13th.

I don't consider this a veteran team. With injuries and transfers, this feels like a sophomore team to me.

DD is obviously still injured and not at 100%.

HW's record since assuming these duties (including Pat's last year when HW did all the work), have not been ideal but have been very respectable.

Even last season's "terrible team" went to the Elite 8! And were 2 broken hands and a concussion from the Final 4. Then what would the naysayers say?

These are good players and good coaches. Maybe not the best offense minds, but neither was Pat.

It seems they just drop too low emotionally and hang their heads when their shots don't fall. That's why they talk about competing and getting back to basics. No sin in that.

That only applies to the person taking over from the legend. Perhaps this can be considered a 2 season, interim nightmare? And they can go get another legend to coach the LV's.

I don't consider this a veteran team. With injuries and transfers, this feels like a sophomore team to me.

DD is obviously still injured and not at 100%.

HW's record since assuming these duties (including Pat's last year when HW did all the work), have not been ideal but have been very respectable.

Even last season's "terrible team" went to the Elite 8! And were 2 broken hands and a concussion from the Final 4. Then what would the naysayers say?

This is the very definition of a veteran team. Senior PG, two redshirt juniors and two true juniors make up their starting five. Claimimg otherwise is making excuses.

The broken hands and concussion had less to do with not making the FF than thr inability to exploit their post advantage, play defense on the Syracuse guards, scorers who couldn't hit clutch shots, and inability to develop a bench full of top 50 players.

Lol at people acting like missing Jordan and having an injured Andraya made a difference. Neither of them have ever been good players.

Reactions: 2 people
Curious why you think they can beat Miss State? MS beat Tennessee twice last year, and they return their entire roster plus some additions while Tennessee loses Graves, Carter and Cooper from the last year's team. They are a tough matchup because they have to dedicate either Jaime or Diamond to shadow Vivians the entire game...otherwise she will go off. That means you can't be afraid to lose either of them to fouls.

Miss State looked impressive in dismantling Texas earlier this year with Ariel Atkins (who missed the Tennessee game) playing.

Yea the did beat up but we were up 11 on the road with two mins to go .. here are my reasons we beat me state .

1. They are defensive minded and not really solid on offense and will give you a chance

2 we are home and we will come to play

3 they will play man

Yea the did beat us but we were up 11 on the road with two mins to go .. here are my reasons we beat me state .

1. They are defensive minded and not really solid on offense and will give you a chance

2 we are home and we will come to play

3 they will play man. That is my reason

This is the very definition of a veteran team. Senior PG, two redshirt juniors and two true juniors make up their starting five. Claimimg otherwise is making excuses.

The broken hands and concussion had less to do with not making the FF than thr inability to exploit their post advantage, play defense on the Syracuse guards, scorers who couldn't hit clutch shots, and inability to develop a bench full of top 50 players.

Lol at people acting like missing Jordan and having an injured Andraya made a difference. Neither of them have ever been good players.

Wait, so you say we should expect a lot from a veteran team. Then you say that severe injuries at once to 3 of our most veteran players is making excuses.

Recall that we'd already beaten Cuse earlier in the year whilst we were playing a much lower level of basketball than we were in post season.

And you say that Reynolds and Carter have never been good players. Then you chide HW for not developing or winning with "Top 50 Talent" that includes both Reynolds and Carter.

You're playing both sides with the same facts, Amb.

Reactions: 3 people
Do you know what really is a measuring stick for this head coach? The latest ESPN "bracketology" has 7 SEC teams in the post season tournament...and Tennessee isn't one of them! Holly sunshine pumpers keep on pumping the rays, baby! Like Nero...fiddle while Rome burns!!!:rock:

VN Store

Back