Question to Lady Vol fans

cwbytruckers

I'm a huge fan of the Lady Vols but I don't live close enough to see games in person. So I'm limited to watching on tv or online when I have wifi. I'm curious to know realistically what the atmosphere has become like at TBA. Not your complaining and griping. We have plenty of threads for that. I'm interested from the diehard fans that are there game end and game out. What is it like now watching them play? Has the fans lost that edge that they know their going to see a great product. Are the crowds getting smaller? What's the chatter like amongst the fans inside TBA? Are the diehards leaving and taking their support with them? I think we are at a very dangerous time for the Lady Vols program even with the #1 recruiting class.

Last LV game I saw at TBA was in '07 versus ND, and there were about 20K in attendance.... I've heard it's dropped to about 8K on average now... I think since we've dropped out of the top 10, the marginal fans like me who just want to see good talent and a high-level performance, just stay home.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a huge fan of the Lady Vols but I don't live close enough to see games in person. So I'm limited to watching on tv or online when I have wifi. I'm curious to know realistically what the atmosphere has become like at TBA. Not your complaining and griping. We have plenty of threads for that. I'm interested from the diehard fans that are there game end and game out. What is it like now watching them play? Has the fans lost that edge that they know their going to see a great product. Are the crowds getting smaller? What's the chatter like amongst the fans inside TBA? Are the diehards leaving and taking their support with them? I think we are at a very dangerous time for the Lady Vols program even with the #1 recruiting class.

In a nutshell, at the last game we stood waiting for the first basket of the game as usual...5-6 minutes into the running clock of the game and we finally got to sit down. Baylor had already scored 11. This is not Tennessee basketball as I know it. I would expect to be on the 11-point side of this equation.

As I stood waiting for our first basket to drop, I did not see a bad shot selections....I saw girls with troubled looks, on their faces. "Is this going to be another letdown performance" was written all over their faces at the first couple of missed buckets.

Their confidence has to be elevated so a missed basket and a delayed run doesn't keep them down for a whole game's duration. As a fan, it is troubling to watch this. As a coach it makes me want to find the solution.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm a huge fan of the Lady Vols but I don't live close enough to see games in person. So I'm limited to watching on tv or online when I have wifi. I'm curious to know realistically what the atmosphere has become like at TBA. Not your complaining and griping. We have plenty of threads for that. I'm interested from the die hard fans that are there game end and game out. What is it like now watching them play? Has the fans lost that edge that they know their going to see a great product. Are the crowds getting smaller? What's the chatter like amongst the fans inside TBA? Are the diehards leaving and taking their support with them? I think we are at a very dangerous time for the Lady Vols program even with the #1 recruiting class.

OK. My quals: attended LV basketball games since 1987, season ticket holder since 1987, attend SECT and NCAAT, donated to LV since 1987 until whenever UT put all giving together and have continued giving since that time to present, knew Pat, was a BoostHer member and attended post game "receptions" until that was discontinued.

The crowds are definitely smaller and less involved. The second half of the Baylor game I looked across the floor and a large numbe of people were sitting, most did eventually stand but I have never seen that before (and I was at the infamous Duke game at TBA😳). The pregame atmosphere in the arena is not electric anymore, the girls seem very calm and not "hyped" when introduced. May just be their personality, but that is unusual too.

All in all, I find it worrying. Just got our renewal information, and they still require a $1,000 donation per seat for center court. As losses increase and attendance decreases I wonder how long UTAD can hold to that. Or if the money decreases, will that be used as an excuse to downgrade the program? It looks like the LV may be approaching a crossroads.

Even I have to admit it is not much fun any more, and I have no intention of quitting either in attendance or donations....but I sure would like to attend games and have the push overs be push overs and the tough games to at least be close.

This is no knock on the team. Contrary to what some on here post, I do not see lack of effort. The worst I see is lack of speed, quickness, and size.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't see lack of effort as much as lack of focus. Sometimes for Example DD will have a turnover and she hangs her head. Then that leads to another turnover. Which leads to her forcing the game instead of letting it come to her. As far as lack of speed. Is that on recruiting so much or just lack of girls in the recent past preferring not to play for Holly? Next year's class is a step in the right direction. But it may be to little to late to change the perception of what Holly can do with top talent.

Could you imagine a Bruce Pearl vs Geno bball game? Tickets would have sold out in 10 minutes!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back