Will Blackburn restore names to all Lady Vols programs

Volfanj1398

Will Blackburn raise the Ladys teams back to their place in Tennessee history ??hartless has disrespected Pat over and over
. Cant wait for him to be gone

d Pat 100 times over

Reactions: 2 people
With all these Herman to LSU and Kiffin to Houston has me cautious no matter what word on street is of Blackburn is our next AD of I'm not buying until announced. As for title of Lady Vols that's not that important. Winning championships is what I hope he concentrates on and keeping us out of frivolous lawsuits.

Reactions: 1 person
Will Blackburn raise the Ladys teams back to their place in Tennessee history ??hartless has disrespected Pat over and over

d Pat 100 times over

If Blackburn gets the job as most think, I don't think it will be an immediate move. I also don't think Hart would have pushed it through had some faction at Tennessee not supported and pushed for it. So, I expect resistance.

But I think those like you who obviously support the restoration should give whoever gets the job a couple of months to get settled in before making noise for it, but flood his mailbox. Once you all feel the time is right if they don't address it, you all know how to make a stand. I wish you luck, because even though not everyone is passionate about the Lady Vols brand, it is clear you and many others are, and I respect that.

Reactions: 3 people
It's 2016, ladies, not 1958--though I know Southerners still wish we were in the 1950s. ("Harlan took the truck and I can't find my bible.") Oh, and PS's been gone for a while. I'm happy to know that the soccer and rowing teams, for example, are not called the Lady Vols--and have never been the Lady Vols. They're Vols--like everybody at the university. It's time to put the old era behind us. The sooner we do that, the sooner we might have a respectable women's basketball program again--one with some dynamism, smarts and vitality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's 2016, ladies, not 1958--though I know Southerners still wish we were in the 1950s. ("Harlan took the truck and I can't find my bible.") Oh, and PS's been gone for a while. I happy to know that the soccer and rowing teams, for example, are not called the Lady Vols--and have never been the Lady Vols. They're Vols--like everybody at the university. It's time to put the old era behind us. The sooner we do that, the sooner we might have a respectable women's basketball program again--one with some youth and vitality.

Actually, you are wrong about that. Both of these teams carried the Lady Vol designation proudly until Dave Hart came in and started the change to eliminate the moniker. The soccer team drifted away from the name Lady Vols when Hart refused to give Angie Kelly a raise and essentially forced her out the door. His choice for successor, Pensky, started eliminating the Lady Vols name from the team and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that was one of the conditions of his hire. It doesn't appear to me that soccer acumen had a lot to do with it.

Jim

Reactions: 8 people
It's 2016, ladies, not 1958--though I know Southerners still wish we were in the 1950s. ("Harlan took the truck and I can't find my bible.") Oh, and PS's been gone for a while. I'm happy to know that the soccer and rowing teams, for example, are not called the Lady Vols--and have never been the Lady Vols. They're Vols--like everybody at the university. It's time to put the old era behind us. The sooner we do that, the sooner we might have a respectable women's basketball program again--one with some dynamism, smarts and vitality.

Another reason for a dislike button. Hope the arms break off your chair.

Reactions: 10 people

d Pat 100 times over

Have we hired Blackburn or is this another rumor like the Butch to Purdue and the Kongbo to quit soccer?

while I admire your passion...just for the record...you're full of misaligned ego...time to let it go...hell, this is the time to embrace it...tradition is not a currency spent lightly...dare to go against the taking of any tradition...yours may be next...oh, sorry you don't care...:hi:

GO VOLS...BEAT HUSKERS!

Reactions: 7 people
Did anyone else on here know that there was a time when the soccer team was NOT ALLOWED to be called "Lady Vols"? Back in the 1980s, when women's soccer was a club sport, they could not be called the "Lady Vols" because the women's athletic department had trademarked the name for use only by female scholarship athletes. I remember the Daily Beacon published a story about one of the games the women's soccer team had played and the reporter called them the "Lady Vols". The next day following publication of that article, Joan Cronan called the Sports Club director who over sees the administration of all the club teams and blessed him out over the phone because the lowly women's soccer club team had dared to call themselves "Lady Vols". In reality, they had not. It was the Daily Beacon reporter that used the name. I never really had a favorable view of Joan Cronan after that especially since the Sports Club Director nor the entirety of the women's soccer club or their coach had anything to do with the matter. It seemed to me that any female athlete representing the University of Tennessee should be able to call themselves a "Lady Vol".

d Pat 100 times over

Probably not going to happen, that ship has sailed. And don't think that all came from Hart, he was told to do that by folks above him.

"down thumb"

Did anyone else on here know that there was a time when the soccer team was NOT ALLOWED to be called "Lady Vols"? Back in the 1980s, when women's soccer was a club sport, they could not be called the "Lady Vols" because the women's athletic department had trademarked the name for use only by female scholarship athletes. I remember the Daily Beacon published a story about one of the games the women's soccer team had played and the reporter called them the "Lady Vols". The next day following publication of that article, Joan Cronan called the Sports Club director who over sees the administration of all the club teams and blessed him out over the phone because the lowly women's soccer club team had dared to call themselves "Lady Vols". In reality, they had not. It was the Daily Beacon reporter that used the name. I never really had a favorable view of Joan Cronan after that especially since the Sports Club Director nor the entirety of the women's soccer club or their coach had anything to do with the matter. It seemed to me that any female athlete representing the University of Tennessee should be able to call themselves a "Lady Vol".

If they were not under the control of the Athlete Dept. and they did not do things that came under the NCAA could things they did that did not comply with their rules not cause trouble with that all powerful body??

I hope Blackburn gets the job maybe Tennessee can get back to be a school that wins again.

The changing of names is a dead issue regardless of who the new AD is. The decision was a university one and not one that Dave Hart generated. Outside of UT circles we were already getting flack over using the term "Lady". It was viewed by many as sexist.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back