Lady Vols HOOP Report 12-9

Pat4life

Lady Vol Hoops Report (12/9/16) - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

how did u embed that video?

Tennessee Head Coach Holly Warlick

(On thoughts about Texas)
“They're one of the better teams that we will face. They're very athletic and physical. They’re going to be a difficult team to face. They pose so many different challenges for us because they shoot the three, have guards that can get by you and have strong post players. It will be a challenging game for us.”

(On if she has seen a difference in energy at practice since losing to Baylor)
“We've really zeroed in on what we need to work on. We've gone back to the basics. We are just trying to get everyone to play with high energy. For whatever reason, we didn't against Baylor. The more we turned the ball over or did things, the more hesitant we got. When you get hesitant and worry about how you're playing, you don't have any energy or effort. I want to make sure that we refocus because you're going to turn the ball over, but you can't make another mistake just because you made one. We have to get better at that.”

(On avoiding slow starts)
“I have simplified things more. I give our point guards two plays to run at the beginning of games. I make sure they know what we are running defensively. I repeat it over and over. I just try to simplify it. That’s all I know to do.”

(On if she expects a sense of urgency to win for Tennessee or Texas)
“This isn’t a do-or-die game. It’s a big game for both of us. Every game is big for us. We are going to focus on us and try to do the things that we need to do, like not turning over the basketball. We have to break it down. Why are we turning over the basketball? Are we playing too fast, trying to get rid of the ball, or not like the pressure? I think breaking down stuff and focusing on us will help us a lot more.”

(On what she has focused on improving this week)
“First of all, just one-on-one basketball and getting in a stance, staying low and defending someone one-on-one. Also, we have worked on rebounding. That is just effort and heart. We have to start playing together on defense, knowing that if I get beat, there is help. That has been in-and-out so far. We have tried to break it down and put it as a whole to try and get better defensively. There’s the turnover aspect as well. If there is one in practice, we stop and ask what the player saw, why they threw it and what would be a better option. Sometimes, we are playing so fast or we get a lot of pressure and think we have to get rid of the ball. Those are things we have to stop in practice.”

(On ball movement breaking down on offense)
“It did at times. When you’re hesitant because of a turnover or something else, you become even more hesitant to do things and you start holding the basketball more. When you do that, everyone starts standing and waiting to see what you are going to do. I always stress moving the basketball. Some days are going to be better than others, but against Baylor, we were frozen. When that happens, everyone stands and watches to see what the person with the ball will do.”

(On what tone she needs to take with the team)
“Mine is not so much a matter of fact, it’s kind of focusing in on what we did wrong. We are going to understand what we did, and we are going to get it right. I don’t know what that tone is. We just have to have more of a sense of urgency, the atmosphere and the tone in practice has been, ‘Let’s go to work. This is a business, you have a job and you’ve got to get it done.’ We’re going to tell you the right way to do it, but bottom line is you have to do it and get it done. That’s kind of where we are focusing in on, as far as the defensive end, as far as shot selection and those type of things. Trying to draw attention to it, the reason and how we are going to fix it.”

(On if the team likes having a week off between games)
“It’s kind of twofold; the game (against Baylor) has kind of lingered on, for us it (the length of time between games) really hasn’t been bad. We’ve really been able to show a lot of tape, film and really analyze it. Our players have really been able to dissect it. I think they understand that we were really not that good. I think maybe during the game they thought, ‘maybe we weren’t very good.’ But I think when you watch the tape, (they see) we were bad. I think they have a better understanding of how we need to play and how we played, but then you do want to get back on the court and take this taste out of your mouth.”

(On how she would assess Diamond DeShields’ play so far)
“I think Diamonds been up and down. I think Diamond was just trying to do so much in a good way that she did very little. So I think she’s got to settle in and let the game come to her. I think she is trying to make too much happen and she doesn’t need to. She plays within our offense, and with patience, she’s going to get great looks.”

(On if the players’ energy level reminds her of last year)
“I think a little bit; I do. I think we do some things like turn the ball over or not play hard, so yes and no. I think this team refocuses a lot better, but they’re still not there yet. I think there are some signs of last year, but I think they’ve got a better understanding earlier than they did last year as well.

(On fixing problems with energy and execution)
“Well, I think execution is a lot easier to fix than energy. Energy comes from within. That’s your heart, your desire to play the game at a certain level. There are so many factors that can take you out of energy. You may have had a bad test, you may have turned the ball over, or you may be upset with your teammate. Just a whole plethora of things, so I think that part is just hard. You’ve got to refocus. When we don’t do something well on a basketball court, we can correct that. You can tell a kid ‘come on, let’s get going,’ but ultimately they’ve got to get themselves going.”

(On whether the team is healthy)
“Yes, I think so. I was pleased with Jordan. She played more the other day than I thought she would. She’s just got a pulled muscle, and we’ve just been going day-by-day. She hasn’t missed a practice, so we’ll see.”

Mercedes Russell

(On whether they are ready to get back on the floor)
“I think we are very eager to just get back on the court in a game again. Last week, when we played Baylor, I think we just started off slow and got ourselves in a hole that we couldn’t get out of, and defensively we weren’t dictating, we were letting them do whatever they wanted to.”

(On playing consistently well so far)
“I just know as an upperclassman, I have to carry the load in the post position. I have to step up and really play hard on both ends of the floor.”

(On what the team has talked about in conversations with each other)
“We’ve definitely met and talked about how we are playing lately. A lot of the conversations have been about us playing smarter, harder and together. Because in the losses that we’ve had, we haven’t done those things consistently. So that’s a big key for future games for us.”

(On what they have worked on in practice)
“It’s been tough. We’ve really just been working on both ends of the floor. Especially on the defensive end; 1-on-1 defense, boxing out and rebounding.”

Reactions: 2 people
Lady Vol Hoops Report (12/9/16) - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

“They're one of the better teams that we will face. They're very athletic and physical. They’re going to be a difficult team to face. They pose so many different challenges for us because they shoot the three, have guards that can get by you and have strong post players. It will be a challenging game for us.”

“We've really zeroed in on what we need to work on. We've gone back to the basics. We are just trying to get everyone to play with high energy. For whatever reason, we didn't against Baylor. The more we turned the ball over or did things, the more hesitant we got. When you get hesitant and worry about how you're playing, you don't have any energy or effort. I want to make sure that we refocus because you're going to turn the ball over, but you can't make another mistake just because you made one. We have to get better at that.”

“I have simplified things more. I give our point guards two plays to run at the beginning of games. I make sure they know what we are running defensively. I repeat it over and over. I just try to simplify it. That’s all I know to do.”

“This isn’t a do-or-die game. It’s a big game for both of us. Every game is big for us. We are going to focus on us and try to do the things that we need to do, like not turning over the basketball. We have to break it down. Why are we turning over the basketball? Are we playing too fast, trying to get rid of the ball, or not like the pressure? I think breaking down stuff and focusing on us will help us a lot more.”

“First of all, just one-on-one basketball and getting in a stance, staying low and defending someone one-on-one. Also, we have worked on rebounding. That is just effort and heart. We have to start playing together on defense, knowing that if I get beat, there is help. That has been in-and-out so far. We have tried to break it down and put it as a whole to try and get better defensively. There’s the turnover aspect as well. If there is one in practice, we stop and ask what the player saw, why they threw it and what would be a better option. Sometimes, we are playing so fast or we get a lot of pressure and think we have to get rid of the ball. Those are things we have to stop in practice.”

“It did at times. When you’re hesitant because of a turnover or something else, you become even more hesitant to do things and you start holding the basketball more. When you do that, everyone starts standing and waiting to see what you are going to do. I always stress moving the basketball. Some days are going to be better than others, but against Baylor, we were frozen. When that happens, everyone stands and watches to see what the person with the ball will do.”

“Mine is not so much a matter of fact, it’s kind of focusing in on what we did wrong. We are going to understand what we did, and we are going to get it right. I don’t know what that tone is. We just have to have more of a sense of urgency, the atmosphere and the tone in practice has been, ‘Let’s go to work. This is a business, you have a job and you’ve got to get it done.’ We’re going to tell you the right way to do it, but bottom line is you have to do it and get it done. That’s kind of where we are focusing in on, as far as the defensive end, as far as shot selection and those type of things. Trying to draw attention to it, the reason and how we are going to fix it.”

“It’s kind of twofold; the game (against Baylor) has kind of lingered on, for us it (the length of time between games) really hasn’t been bad. We’ve really been able to show a lot of tape, film and really analyze it. Our players have really been able to dissect it. I think they understand that we were really not that good. I think maybe during the game they thought, ‘maybe we weren’t very good.’ But I think when you watch the tape, (they see) we were bad. I think they have a better understanding of how we need to play and how we played, but then you do want to get back on the court and take this taste out of your mouth.”

“I think Diamonds been up and down. I think Diamond was just trying to do so much in a good way that she did very little. So I think she’s got to settle in and let the game come to her. I think she is trying to make too much happen and she doesn’t need to. She plays within our offense, and with patience, she’s going to get great looks.”

“I think a little bit; I do. I think we do some things like turn the ball over or not play hard, so yes and no. I think this team refocuses a lot better, but they’re still not there yet. I think there are some signs of last year, but I think they’ve got a better understanding earlier than they did last year as well.

“Well, I think execution is a lot easier to fix than energy. Energy comes from within. That’s your heart, your desire to play the game at a certain level. There are so many factors that can take you out of energy. You may have had a bad test, you may have turned the ball over, or you may be upset with your teammate. Just a whole plethora of things, so I think that part is just hard. You’ve got to refocus. When we don’t do something well on a basketball court, we can correct that. You can tell a kid ‘come on, let’s get going,’ but ultimately they’ve got to get themselves going.”

“Yes, I think so. I was pleased with Jordan. She played more the other day than I thought she would. She’s just got a pulled muscle, and we’ve just been going day-by-day. She hasn’t missed a practice, so we’ll see.”

Mercedes Russell

“I think we are very eager to just get back on the court in a game again. Last week, when we played Baylor, I think we just started off slow and got ourselves in a hole that we couldn’t get out of, and defensively we weren’t dictating, we were letting them do whatever they wanted to.”

“I just know as an upperclassman, I have to carry the load in the post position. I have to step up and really play hard on both ends of the floor.”

“We’ve definitely met and talked about how we are playing lately. A lot of the conversations have been about us playing smarter, harder and together. Because in the losses that we’ve had, we haven’t done those things consistently. So that’s a big key for future games for us.”

“It’s been tough. We’ve really just been working on both ends of the floor. Especially on the defensive end; 1-on-1 defense, boxing out and rebounding.”

That means Holly will only lose by 15.

Reactions: 3 people

Mercedes Russell

Well if you know that a basketball is round, then you know the problems. You also know that nothing will change as far as preparation. As much as I hope we can somehow win, we will loose by 12 to 15 points or more, and get ready for another career day from one of their players

Reactions: 5 people

“It did at times. When you’re hesitant because of a turnover or something else, you become even more hesitant to do things and you start holding the basketball gmore. When you do that, everyone starts standing and waiting to see what you are going to do. I always stress moving the basketball. Some days are going to be better than others, but against Baylor, we were frozen. When that happens, everyone stands and watches to see what the person with the ball will do.”

Mercedes Russell

I appreciate your commitment to Holly. That is real, however, Holly always gives us rhetoric on what is wrong with the team but there is little improvement. I believe that Holly knows the game but seems to lack the ability to correct issues. We will have players next year as good as any players in the country, including UCONN, however, they will need to be coached up. Coaching is more then knowing the X's and O's, you have to know how to get inside young people's minds. You have to be able to break them down then build them up, while showing a caring spirit. Except for the caring spirit part, I believe that mentality is lacking with this coaching staff.

My commitment is to the Lady Vols and that includes Holly and the players.

And all this is, is a post so others can watch the Hoops Report. We get it. We get it. She can't coach. The staff can't coach! Future recruits don't come here. Our staff can't coach! We get it.

Enjoy the Hoops Report everyone!

And all this is, is a post so others can watch the Hoops Report. We get it. We get it. She can't coach. The staff can't coach! Future recruits don't come here. Our staff can't coach! We get it.

This quote from today Mercedes stood out to me: "It's times like this, encouragement - especially positive encouragement - is what we need the most."

I wanted to cry. I just love Mercedes. (Okay I love all of them.) She is so poised, so smart, such a good, dear girl. When she said this, I thought about all the negative posts on here and that people post such negative, hateful things on all the Lady Vols social media...and my heart sank wondering if they read it and I pray that they don't.

I know people aren't happy. They have not been playing well and they didn't last year - I get it. But the negativity and the bashing..the downright nasty comments I've seen about both the players and Holly...I can't wrap my head around it. How does that help?

It is what it is and things are what they are for now...but wouldn't some encouragement for these girls be better than what they're getting from "fans?" Why is it necessary to go on and on and on and on and ON with the negativity?

What do you think it's accomplishing?

Now hate on it!!!!!

**drops mic**

Reactions: 8 people

I, for one, really appreciate the post, Pat4life. I found quite a few things Holly said to be encouraging. She's so right about rebounding being effort and heart. I still say that Cooper and Carter are sorely missed. A Sweet 16 without those two would be quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:
This quote from today Mercedes stood out to me: "It's times like this, encouragement - especially positive encouragement - is what we need the most."

I wanted to cry. I just love Mercedes. (Okay I love all of them.) She is so poised, so smart, such a good, dear girl. When she said this, I thought about all the negative posts on here and that people post such negative, hateful things on all the Lady Vols social media...and my heart sank wondering if they read it and I pray that they don't.

I know people aren't happy. They have not been playing well and they didn't last year - I get it. But the negativity and the bashing..the downright nasty comments I've seen about both the players and Holly...I can't wrap my head around it. How does that help?

It is what it is and things are what they are for now...but wouldn't some encouragement for these girls be better than what they're getting from "fans?" Why is it necessary to go on and on and on and on and ON with the negativity?

What do you think it's accomplishing?

Now hate on it!!!!!

**drops mic**

Mercedes is not Diamond. ALexa isn't Meme. Jaime isn't Shaquilla.

Alexa responds to positive feedback and positive instruction. AS, obviously Cedes does. . . . But give that same hug to DD on the wrong day and she would probably respond with "get away with all that lovey crap...and, piss me off so I can play round-ball!"

This is what is missing from the staff as far as I can surmise. They have knowledge, experience, ability. I am quite certain that Deam hasn't forgotten how to teach posts, he's done so well in the past. Our SF and PF spots are dotted with stars all through our history.
Some pretty good PG's....Nope, I am quite certain they still know how to teach the spots at UT.

What I wonder is,,,Who can read it, that Mercedes need and needed this positive reassurance (BEFORE she had to go public and educate those around her?.. Who can read that DD is screaming for some grounding and some stability so she can lift back off?...That Meme wants so desperately to be the guard we need, she just doesn't know what the next step is....That Shaq has wanted to dance on a bigger stage all her life, now she's just not sure how to benefit the new system.

Until we get that influence that can read each player accurately... There will be inconsistencies.

Mercedes is not Diamond. ALexa isn't Meme. Jaime isn't Shaquilla.

Alexa responds to positive feedback and positive instruction. AS, obviously Cedes does. . . . But give that same hug to DD on the wrong day and she would probably respond with "get away with all that lovey crap...and, piss me off so I can play round-ball!"

This is what is missing from the staff as far as I can surmise. They have knowledge, experience, ability. I am quite certain that Deam hasn't forgotten how to teach posts, he's done so well in the past. Our SF and PF spots are dotted with stars all through our history.
Some pretty good PG's....Nope, I am quite certain they still know how to teach the spots at UT.

What I wonder is,,,Who can read it, that Mercedes need and needed this positive reassurance (BEFORE she had to go public and educate those around her?.. Who can read that DD is screaming for some grounding and some stability so she can lift back off?...That Meme wants so desperately to be the guard we need, she just doesn't know what the next step is....That Shaq has wanted to dance on a bigger stage all her life, now she's just not sure how to benefit the new system.

Until we get that influence that can read each player accurately... There will be inconsistencies.

I am not talking about the coaching staff. I am talking about people who are supposed to be fans bashing the players, bashing the coaches...going on and on and on and on saying the same things over and over and over and over again. If they or their families see it, I don't think it's helpful. That's what I was talking about.

Have you applied for a job with the Lady Vols? You seem to want to be on their coaching staff awful bad. I'm sincerely asking.

Basically, we don't do anything well. Energy? Lacking. Man defense? Bad. Help defense? Poor. Ball and player movement? Terrible. Shooting? Weak. Turnovers--the usual: lots of them. Confidence level (and this, really, seems the biggest problem with this program): Nonexistent. Other than those areas, we are good to go.

This team, like most if not all of Warlick's teams, has no confidence, no mental toughness (individually or as a team) and very poor on-court leadership--it is why we don't play well to start and quickly fall apart when things don't go our way. We've seen this time and time again in recent years. Poor fundamentals, poor leadership, no confidence/toughness = ugly.

Basically, we don't do anything well. Energy? Lacking. Man defense? Bad. Help defense? Poor. Ball and player movement? Terrible. Shooting? Weak. Turnovers--the usual: lots of them. Confidence level (and this, really, seems the biggest problem with this program): Nonexistent. Other than those areas, we are good to go.

This team, like most if not all of Warlick's teams, has no confidence, no mental toughness (individually or as a team) and very poor on-court leadership--it is why we don't play well to start and quickly fall apart when things don't go our way. We've seen this time and time again in recent years. Poor fundamentals, poor leadership, no confidence/toughness = ugly.

Do you enjoy posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

WE GET IT. YOU THINK HOLLY IS A TERRIBLE COACH.

Reactions: 6 people
I am not talking about the coaching staff. I am talking about people who are supposed to be fans bashing the players, bashing the coaches...going on and on and on and on saying the same things over and over and over and over again. If they or their families see it, I don't think it's helpful. That's what I was talking about.

Have you applied for a job with the Lady Vols? You seem to want to be on their coaching staff awful bad. I'm sincerely asking.

I am too!
The players don't need to be bashed.
Nor does the staff.
But this coach doesn't give hugs to under-performers...He inspires them.

As for Cedes she can have all the hugs she wants. She is playing at the highest level that I have seen her play at.

And yes, Holly knows of my interest, as does the administration.

I have no timidity re coaching at that level. . .
None.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you enjoy posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

You left out a few thousand "overs." This is what Armchair does and has done for years. Even on the extremely rare occasion when something positive is posted, it is always followed by a but... and seldom does he/she let a positive post get by without dumping on it. Over the past year, he/she has developed more courage and now goes after CPS. I guess it gives him/her some sense of power to disparage the great one. To quote, "I have to chuckle" when they and others use their lack of self gratification to justify posting all their negativity.

I don't think people like that will ever change because it is not about objectivity but rather feeding the persona they have developed over the years. It is now what they are and they add to it every opportunity they get. Armchair is not the only one on this site as you know. There are about six of them. I know it sounds like more but those six post the majority of negative comments and like you said, it is over and over again so their post totals soar over time. They also reinforce each other by giving "likes" to each others posts so, after months and months, it looks like they have a huge following. Their post totals are so high I have to wonder if their entire life revolves around VolNation.

Reactions: 4 people

Yeah, yeah we get it. You love Holly so much that you don't even care that she's coached the Lady Vols out of the Top 25 rankings two years in the running. THAT doesn't even include losing to unranked teams like never before. Bad habits are mounting and records are being broken from the opposition and the LVs. And I ain't referring to good records, either.

Yeah, yeah we get you. Your love for Holly outweighs your love for The Lady Vols. Got it. :glare:

You left out a few thousand "overs." This is what Armchair does and has done for years. Even on the extremely rare occasion when something positive is posted, it is always followed by a but... and seldom does he/she let a positive post get by without dumping on it. Over the past year, he/she has developed more courage and now goes after CPS. I guess it gives him/her some sense of power to disparage the great one. To quote, "I have to chuckle" when they and others use their lack of self gratification to justify posting all their negativity.

I don't think people like that will ever change because it is not about objectivity but rather feeding the persona they have developed over the years. It is now what they are and they add to it every opportunity they get. Armchair is not the only one on this site as you know. There are about six of them. I know it sounds like more but those six post the majority of negative comments and like you said, it is over and over again so their post totals soar over time. They also reinforce each other by giving "likes" to each others posts so, after months and months, it looks like they have a huge following. Their post totals are so high I have to wonder if their entire life revolves around VolNation.

HELLO? Holly is the reason for all the negativity. I for one am hoping that The Lady Vols beat Texas come Sunday! And for Holly to coach her way into something positive because right now it's all negative.

Your post's are always spot on with me. I appreciate reading what you have to say about the program.

Thanks and please don't stop telling it like it is.

I'd like to see Mercedes, in fact, ALL the players, play with the attitude, "If you are going to score, you will have to go through me." Not the nice, nice, afternoon tea party kind of attitude, but the "over my dead body" kind. Because of our short bench (although this was true last year as well,) we seem to be carrying the "no foul" mantra a bit too far. It's not tea and crumpets, folks! Don't be dissuaded from the goal--to beat the stew out of the other team!

And if we run out of players eligible to play before the end of the game, well, to me, that is a lot more honorable to forfeit than to go down waving a white hankie.

The best players in WCBB do not extend their pinkies and wait for someone to cut the crusts off their bread; they butter it themselves!

Last edited:
I am too!
The players don't need to be bashed.
Nor does the staff.
But this coach doesn't give hugs to under-performers...He inspires them.

As for Cedes she can have all the hugs she wants. She is playing at the highest level that I have seen her play at.

And yes, Holly knows of my interest, as does the administration.

I have no timidity re coaching at that level. . .
None.

Nobody is hugging anybody. I hate the bashing - going on and on does no good. People do not know the inner workings or what's going on inside the program, what players may be dealing with individually...personally.

Maybe they'll give you a call, Coach Jumper.

Yeah, yeah we get it. You love Holly so much that you don't even care that she's coached the Lady Vols out of the Top 25 rankings two years in the running. THAT doesn't even include losing to unranked teams like never before. Bad habits are mounting and records are being broken from the opposition and the LVs. And I ain't referring to good records, either.

Yeah, yeah we get you. Your love for Holly outweighs your love for The Lady Vols. Got it. :glare:

You say you are going to support the team, which includes Holly one post then you start up with the bashing again so you can STHU with your double speak.

As for my original comment, which was not directed at you, my point was going on and on and saying the same thing over and over serves no purpose and alexvol even said in the "the clock is ticking" thread the rhetoric should be toned down.

You know nothing about me and as far as my love for the Lady Vols, my stake in them is personal - and not connected to Holly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Rickster - agree with everything I this post and have had these exact same thoughts. Even a tiny positive is followed by a "But...". I have noticed the bashing of CPS lately and wondered if that was a new thing. Armchair must be miserable in life is all I can figure. Sad. And yes - about six of them seem to do nothing but post on here - and it's like their world is ending because the LVs aren't playing well. Strange.

Reactions: 5 people
You say you are going to support the team, which includes Holly one post then you start up with the bashing again so you can STHU with your double speak.

As for my original comment, which was not directed at you, my point was going on and on and saying the same thing over and over serves no purpose and alexvol even said in give clock is ticking thread the rhetoric should be toned down.

You know nothing about me and as far as my love for the Lady Vols, my stake in them is personal - and not connected to Holly.

I'm not going to stop posting my thoughts about Holly & the team because you don't like what I'm posting.

What I know about you? You like to bully other posters if they don't conform to what you want them to post on a message board. Screaming STHU. That's not nice.

I'm not going to stop posting my thoughts about Holly & the team because you don't like what I'm posting.

What I know about you? You like to bully other posters if they don't conform to what you want them to post on a message board. Screaming STHU. That's not nice.

You are demented. I have not bullied anyone. I get people are upset and they have the right to their opinion. All I was saying was I didn't see what good it did to keep going on and on like a broken record.

And you do appear to flip flop.

You go ahead and keep making your posts...and I'll keep making mine. 😊

Last edited:

VN Store

Back