It's the offense, Stupid!

clkou

I give props to the coaching staff for being able to recruit, but after that it gets difficult to praise them for anything else. They aren't developing players, they are underachieving with the players they have, the defense is inconsistent often bad, but after witnessing the Baylor game first hand, the offense is the one facet that's always going to plague us. Some of us have been saying it for years but it bears repeating, the offense is HORRIBLE.

Keep in mind I don't even consider Kim a great coach. She's competent and has had her moments but she managed one championship in the 5 years she had Britney Griner or Odyssey Sims and the 3 years she had both. I don't see them as the favorite this year either. Despite that, there were several times the Baylor offense would no look pass inside or to the top of the key and hit their open teammate for an easy shot. They were throwing it to spots they KNEW a player would be BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN OFFENSE AND TEAM CHEMISTRY. We NEVER do that because, quite simply, we don't have an offense.

The players go down court ... and stand. They don't set off ball screens or picks or plays or any of the middle school basketball level standard things you'd expect. Eventually when the point guard has dribbled a good 30% to 40% of the shot clock away, she will dribble TO a player and hand it off or maybe use another player as a screen to keep dribbling. The posts MAY ask for the ball and even get it, but probably not.

We are not difficult to guard because there's so much standing around. The defense gets a break to rest for a lot of the start of our offense. There's not a lot of screens or picks to worry with so they just have to stick with their man as they go 1 on 1. Any offense that features 1 on 1 match-ups isn't going to succeed because you're almost always taking contested shots.

The most depressing part of it all is that it usually takes 2 to 3 years to develop a good system wide offense that feeds off chemistry. I know this from PERSONAL experience and have seen really good players not do as well as inferior ones simply because the inferior player knows the system and have chemistry where as the good player doesn't. So, even if a competent coach were inserted TODAY we'd still likely be 2 to 3 years off where we really want to be.

And don't get me started on turnovers. That's a direct result of not having an offense and not valuing possessions which they will be prone to do out of frustration from not having an offense.

Watch what GOOD teams do. They MOVE a LOT. They pass well. They know where their teammates are going to be. I haven't seen us do that since Parker played her last game.

IF we had a good offensive system or even ANY offensive system, it should have shown up against Baylor or Virginia Tech, or Penn State. Our starting line-up features one player who has played 3 years, another who has played 2, and two who are supposed to be superstars and have played 2 seasons and 1 season respectively while both also red shirted another season. My point is that it's mostly all players who should already know the offense. There shouldn't be any chemistry, familiarity, or transitioning to college problems. Yet EVERY year we struggle like they're playing a pick-up game?!

The problem that I see is that it's a awful, non-existent offense at a program that should have one of the best. It just sucks knowing that our players have to succeed in spite of our coaches not because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Some HC's are better as Top Assistants. Holly is a great woman...great competitor...bleeds orange and white....but just not a great Head Coach. Lady Vol Basketball is the face of women's college basketball...this university has let that slip away to UConn. It is time to change that.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree that our problem as a whole is offense. I think their are more issues, but as a whole, I think offense is just awful and we have trouble scoring.
The house that Pat built has a foundation of Defense and Rebounding. All offense came from defense first. Think back to Parker days, you honestly think that if we had an offensive minded coach we would of scored more than 68 points in the championship? 47 vs. LSU? Of course. But our coach preached defense, rebounding, heart, and hustle ... things that the players can control, giving them ownership.
Pat's foundation is proven, and anybody in her coaching tree around Tennessee will stick to it.
I don't have any solutions to our problems. Obviously most people on Volnation do. I do know Pat was the RIGHT women for HER philosophy. Anybody can teach it, but only a certain pedigree can execute it. She was one of the very few :(

Reactions: 3 people
Completely disagree. This team takes no pride in defense

I didn't say we had stellar defense. I said it was "ok". It's something that is better more often and can be fixed more easily. Or maybe you were referring to someone else.

You really can't win with the percentages were shooting unless the other team shoots worse which is unlikely. We got beat by 22 and Baylor didn't shoot 40 percent. Four starting players for us shot 12 of 46. No way to win anytime you do that.

Basketball is about matchups. We have five players the other team has five. We were dominated at four positions and won only one. Russell over Montpremier and Brown and Cox.
Diamond dominated by Jones
Nared dominated by Nina Davis
Reynolds and Middleton dominated at point guard
Until our players start winning against the player playing their position we'll keep losing.

Player development..... The perfect example of the lack there of is DD. She balled out as a freshman under an assistant coach that appeared to not know what he was doing.

Then she transfers and sits. Comes back with injuries and hobbles through another season of not being coached.

Now in this season, it's the same ol'thing. Not coached. DD has Bre Stewart talent and athleticism but the difference is that Bre Stewart was coached by Geno. Just like the greats that came before her. They were good enough to get that ride at UConn but were developed to be great after they arrived. Look at the record for the past five years.

DD needed a coach like Geno or Staley to challenge her to get better and to be better. CHW was Pat's softener for years. Pat chews on you, here comes Holly to rub your shoulder and give you a hug. CHW never developed that intangible that Pat, Geno and the greats have. And it's showing because these players are not playing for her to their best of their ability...

Player development..... The perfect example of the lack there of is DD. She balled out as a freshman under an assistant coach that appeared to not know what he was doing.

Then she transfers and sits. Comes back with injuries and hobbles through another season of not being coached.

Now in this season, it's the same ol'thing. Not coached. DD has Bre Stewart talent and athleticism but the difference is that Bre Stewart was coached by Geno. Just like the greats that came before her. They were good enough to get that ride at UConn but were developed to be great after they arrived. Look at the record for the past five years.

DD needed a coach like Geno or Staley to challenge her to get better and to be better. CHW was Pat's softener for years. Pat chews on you, here comes Holly to rub your shoulder and give you a hug. CHW never developed that intangible that Pat, Geno and the greats have. And it's showing because these players are not playing for her to their best of their ability...

I would not put Dawn in the category with Pat and Geno. I hate to say this. She is not the fierce motivator like the other two. How about Muffet, Tara and maybe Kim and Brenda?

And no other coach presently on staff has that ability either. The LAdy Vols haven't played as a team in recent memory. That too is on the coaching staff

Reactions: 1 person
who was/were lead recruiter(s) on the Lady Vols' No. 1 class...in other words...who really got the girls to come to UT...:dunno:

GO LADY VOLS!

Basketball is about matchups. We have five players the other team has five. We were dominated at four positions and won only one. Russell over Montpremier and Brown and Cox.
Diamond dominated by Jones
Nared dominated by Nina Davis
Reynolds and Middleton dominated at point guard
Until our players start winning against the player playing their position we'll keep losing.

Basketball is not at all just about 1v1 matchups. Certainly, there is some of that--but there are also fast breaks, picks and screens, and an offense playing a zone defense will often feature different matchups.

Any team that is behind by 15 after one quarter stinks on both ends of the floor--and that would be us.

Basketball is not at all just about 1v1 matchups. Certainly, there is some of that--but there are also fast breaks, picks and screens, and an offense playing a zone defense will often feature different matchups.

Any team that is behind by 15 after one quarter stinks on both ends of the floor--and that would be us.

Totally aware of that but the point was that were capable of getting open looks. We can't make anything layup, five footer, 8 footer in the paint. Everytime we were in the man to man it was man to man no help and Middleton and Reynolds were getting killed and Nared looked like she wasn't guarding anybody. We did a little better in the zone but turnovers, shot selection, and failure to throw a decent pass, or get a rebound were the reasons that we were behind by 14 after one quarter. I counted six possessions where Baylor got the rebound until they scored.

Need to score at least 80 points to win on a consistent bases.

You may be right and if you are we will not win on a consistent basis. WE have not had 2 scorers since I don't know when. The last few years we really have not had any, at least at the guard spot.

End of season Tennessee offense stats for the last 5 years -

11/12 ranked 16th
12/13 ranked 4th
13/14 ranked 24th
14/15 ranked 47th
15/16 ranked 134th

What correlates with the nosedive that started in 13/14?

Reactions: 1 person

Don't think DD would ever want to work under coaches like those.

Don't think DD would ever want to work under coaches like those.

VN Store

Back