Russell handled the Baylor Bigs?!?!?!?

BuffDaddy

What's with all this talk of Mercedes handling the Baylor Bigs? Are you kidding me? What game were they watching? Yeah, Russell had a few bright spots but they were very few and far between. Baylor knocked her around like she was nothing.
She's a good post player, no doubt....but come on....best in the country, absolutely not.

Reactions: 3 people
What's with all this talk of Mercedes handling the Baylor Bigs? Are you kidding me? What game were they watching? Yeah, Russell had a few bright spots but they were very few and far between. Baylor knocked her around like she was nothing.
She's a good post player, no doubt....but come on....best in the country, absolutely not.

Not the best in the country but did a very good job on the interior in the BU game. Played her best game ever as a LV!
Wes more aggressive than and did not hesitate much after getting the ball. Lots of room to go but at least maybe climbing up the hill. If her an Nared had not showed up we would not have scored many at all.:thud::thud:

She is competing hard every game, averaging 30+ minutes, banging and getting bang by two to three players every game. wuteva?

She is our MVP, so far this year and has been our most consistent performer. She needs to knock down early shots, I would like to see if that gives her team confidence.

Reactions: 4 people
The current Lady Vols are a direct reflection of the poor coaching they receive. I can't stand to watch a game anymore knowing what I am going to see. Similar to what I saw on the defensive side of the ball in football the last half of the season. Please tell me why CHW continues to be paid the salary she receives when she cannot do a good job at it. If it continues past this year we should all picket the AD's office.

This is no way and shape a reflection of Holly, if they were we would be playing Lady Vols basketball, yea Holly was tough, All time steals single season leader in program history, not talented at all, but she played hard and she competed every play and did her job.

If these young ladies were a reflection of Holly, we would be tougher and competitive.

Reactions: 2 people
This is no way and shape a reflection of Holly, if they were we would be playing Lady Vols basketball, yea Holly was tough, All time steals single season leader in program history, not talented at all, but she played hard and she competed every play and did her job.

If these young ladies were a reflection of Holly, we would be tougher and competitive.

They are a direct reflection of CHW's coaching. There, is that better. She does not hold anyone accountable. She tries to be their friend, not their coach. If you want to continue to see the crap on the floor that you see now, then by all means stick behind Holly. Sorry to sound so negative but it is the truth, she is not head coaching material. Certainly not at one of the top jobs in the country. At least it used to be.

She is competing hard every game, averaging 30+ minutes, banging and getting bang by two to three players every game. wuteva?

She is our MVP, so far this year and has been our most consistent performer. She needs to knock down early shots, I would like to see if that gives her team confidence.

Whatever season MR ends of having, she would benefit from playing her Senior year.

Reactions: 1 person
Whatever season MR ends of having, she would benefit from playing her Senior year.

I agree. I can see Russell staying her senior year. One more year in the weight room, will do her some good. She's looking like 2nd team SEC performer all ready. Good for her.

Keep it Mercedes, fight every game ma.

They are a direct reflection of CHW's coaching. There, is that better. She does not hold anyone accountable. She tries to be their friend, not their coach. If you want to continue to see the crap on the floor that you see now, then by all means stick behind Holly. Sorry to sound so negative but it is the truth, she is not head coaching material. Certainly not at one of the top jobs in the country. At least it used to be.

Yawns. Holly ain't going nowhere. She could lose every game. :loco:

The current Lady Vols are a direct reflection of the poor coaching they receive. I can't stand to watch a game anymore knowing what I am going to see. Similar to what I saw on the defensive side of the ball in football the last half of the season. Please tell me why CHW continues to be paid the salary she receives when she cannot do a good job at it. If it continues past this year we should all picket the AD's office.

And this has exactly what to do with a thread about Mercedes Russell? That's right, nothing.

I haven't seen anywhere that people have said Russell is the best in the country. You made that part up.

Russell is a solid if unspectacular player that plays hard, shoots a decent percentage, has improved at the FT line, and is not the reason the Lady Vols are a poor team.

You say this like you're proud that you've put the likeness of a coach (and trashing Diamond DeShields) over the likeness of your program. Obviously not a "true" LV fan. :no:

Last edited:
I am proud, I like Holly and the program direction.

Yes, Diamond hasn't been playing good ball. And yes, Holly and her team have stunk it up over the last two years.

And I trash all those who do not give effort and, play like Lady Vols basketball, trash players yep... Reynolds, Meme, Middleton, Dunbar...

But the only difference is, I don't want Diamond to not be the best Diamond she can be. I'm not here wishing she's not an All American or SEC performer. I don't want Diamond to be fired or transfer.

Diamond has the perfect example in front of her of how to play basketball, Holly, All American, jersey retired but maybe she knows more than the coach.

I want Diamond to play better, be that All American and most of my post ends with you can do it...mantra.

Cos she can... And Holly Can! wuteva? Go Lad Vols. Go Mercedes, Mercedes elevated her game, just thot Diamond game was elevated too, she looks the same.

Last edited:
stolen from a Pat4life post in another thread

"Tennessee Center Mercedes Russell

(On if she was happy with her performance)
"Defensively, I did pretty good. I held their posts players to 1-for-9 and 3-for-12, so I thought my defense was pretty good. "

that's not good enough for you? she scored 22 points and had 12 rebounds,not so bad considering she was double teamed a lot

I think that is pretty damn good

Russell isn't a polished product yet, but she is showing great signs that she may be able to live up to her billing as the #1 overall recruit back in 2013. Good things from last game:
-She posted hard every possession
-Never stopped working
-Demanded the ball
-Held Baylor's bigs to poor shooting games--although that may be a faction of them just missing bunnies more than anything Mercedes did
-She drew fouls. She got 12 FTA, and Baylor is the deepest post team in the nation so that will get opposing teams into tough spots.
-She rebounded well

She isn't the most efficient post, nor is she the most polished, but the signs of effort and improvement give me hope that she could develop into a very very good player over the next two years if she doesn't bolt for the draft.

Tennessee looks awful this year, but her and Nared look much improved. Can you imagine where this team would be without them? As bad as the season has started, it would be much worse without Russell and Nared.

Unfortunately you might be correct!!! That's why I cannot watch them anymore, they play like it doesn't matter, and the powers that could make a change don't seem to care. If that's okay with you guys then you have no right to ever complain. Stick with the status quo and continue down this miserable losing road until "Lady Vol Basketball" means absolutely nothing to young girls any longer.

Welp. Hopefully three games or bad season, won't erased all that for you. I think my breaking point would be not making the tournament, but she's installing her own culture and that takes time. Obviously, the #1 class in the country dug it, so I'm kewl.

Ahhh U want a tissue. We still have a lot of basketball left. The season ain't over yet.

I am proud, I like Holly and the program direction.

Yes, Diamond hasn't been playing good ball. And yes, Holly and her team have stunk it up over the last two years.

And I trash all those who do not give effort and, play like Lady Vols basketball, trash players yep... Reynolds, Meme, Middleton, Dunbar...

But the only difference is, I don't want Diamond to not be the best Diamond she can be. I'm not here wishing she's not an All American or SEC performer. I don't want Diamond to be fired or transfer.

Diamond has the perfect example in front of her of how to play basketball, Holly, All American, jersey retired but maybe she knows more than the coach.

I want Diamond to play better, be that All American and most of my post ends with you can do it...mantra.

Cos she can... And Holly Can! wuteva? Go Lad Vols. Go Mercedes, Mercedes elevated her game, just thot Diamond game was elevated too, she looks the same.

Nobody who is a true fan of the program is happy with the direction of the program. Nobody. NOBODY. Coach worshippers -- and this goes for Holly and Butch right now -- want to get on a high horse and talk about how "true" fans should act. Well, someone who wants to righteously claim that "Holly could lose every game and she isn't going anywhere" as if that's a good thing should think twice before saying that, especially given you are one of the staunchest defenders of Holly on here and one of the more confrontational when speaking to those who criticize her. The program is MUCH bigger than Holly.

You single out Diamond when in reality the buck stops with the COACH. Not the players and not any one player in particular. It stops with the COACH. The coaches are the ones getting paid, not the players. This is college, not professional, basketball.

It's fine if you like Holly. I like Holly too. She is from Knoxville and played at UT and her jersey is in the rafters. But here's the thing: coaches are not paid to be likeable people. They are paid to perform. There are plenty of people who are likeable people but bad at their occupation. I've worked with and for many people like this. The bottom line is ... Holly isn't performing as a coach. Her teams aren't performing. It's her job to hold her players accountable, and it's our job as fans to hold the COACHES, who are employees of a public university, accountable. Point blank, period. The woe-is-me act by fans for Holly has grown tiresome. She knew what the expectations were of the program when she accepted the position. Hell, she was assistant coach for how many decades? Y'all act like we should just accept mediocrity because Pat isn't the coach anymore. Tennessee has all the resources available to be FF team and NC-contender every single year with our facilities and fan support. But we aren't. And yes, I know that the FF drought started under Pat, but it's clear that under Holly the program has slipped much lower than it was under Pat in those final years.

It really is the same situation with some football fans and Butch. Some act like because Butch is a marginal coach and his ceiling is 8-9 wins ... we should just be glad that we get that many wins because we had losing seasons under Dooley. While ignoring the fact that at UT the goal isn't 8 win seasons and trips to some marginal bowl game. Fans shouldn't be forced to lower their expectations because of marginal coaches.

And the sad truth of the matter is that essentially unless Holly wants to step down, she will be coach as long as she wants as long she keeps getting decent results -- even if said results are mediocre by UT standard. Because no matter how proud the program has been in the past, it isn't a money making program like football so who cares if we don't make a FF? Basically I have little doubt that the AD is saying "well you better taper your expectations and get used to it". It's sad, really. Holly is such a likeable person and I would love to see nothing more than to see her go to a FF or win a NC. But ... it is what it is. I don't think there is a single LV fan, on this board or otherwise, that would love nothing more than to see Holly succeed and get this team on track. But at some point people start facing the music and expressing the obvious.

Reactions: 9 people
Nobody who is a true fan of the program is happy with the direction of the program. Nobody. NOBODY. Coach worshippers -- and this goes for Holly and Butch right now -- want to get on a high horse and talk about how "true" fans should act. Well, someone who wants to righteously claim that "Holly could lose every game and she isn't going anywhere" as if that's a good thing should think twice before saying that, especially given you are one of the staunchest defenders of Holly on here and one of the more confrontational when speaking to those who criticize her. The program is MUCH bigger than Holly.

You single out Diamond when in reality the buck stops with the COACH. Not the players and not any one player in particular. It stops with the COACH. The coaches are the ones getting paid, not the players. This is college, not professional, basketball.

It's fine if you like Holly. I like Holly too. She is from Knoxville and played at UT and her jersey is in the rafters. But here's the thing: coaches are not paid to be likeable people. They are paid to perform. There are plenty of people who are likeable people but bad at their occupation. I've worked with and for many people like this. The bottom line is ... Holly isn't performing as a coach. Her teams aren't performing. It's her job to hold her players accountable, and it's our job as fans to hold the COACHES, who are employees of a public university, accountable. Point blank, period. The woe-is-me act by fans for Holly has grown tiresome. She knew what the expectations were of the program when she accepted the position. Hell, she was assistant coach for how many decades? Y'all act like we should just accept mediocrity because Pat isn't the coach anymore. Tennessee has all the resources available to be FF team and NC-contender every single year with our facilities and fan support. But we aren't. And yes, I know that the FF drought started under Pat, but it's clear that under Holly the program has slipped much lower than it was under Pat in those final years.

It really is the same situation with some football fans and Butch. Some act like because Butch is a marginal coach and his ceiling is 8-9 wins ... we should just be glad that we get that many wins because we had losing seasons under Dooley. While ignoring the fact that at UT the goal isn't 8 win seasons and trips to some marginal bowl game. Fans shouldn't be forced to lower their expectations because of marginal coaches.

And the sad truth of the matter is that essentially unless Holly wants to step down, she will be coach as long as she wants as long she keeps getting decent results -- even if said results are mediocre by UT standard. Because no matter how proud the program has been in the past, it isn't a money making program like football so who cares if we don't make a FF? Basically I have little doubt that the AD is saying "well you better taper your expectations and get used to it". It's sad, really. Holly is such a likeable person and I would love to see nothing more than to see her go to a FF or win a NC. But ... it is what it is. I don't think there is a single LV fan, on this board or otherwise, that would love nothing more than to see Holly succeed and get this team on track. But at some point people start facing the music and expressing the obvious.

Maybe the best post I have read on here in a while.:loco::loco:

Yawns. A whole lotta nuttin... wuteva?

I've singled out, Diamond, Nared, Middleton, Meme, Reynolds, Dunbar, Mercedes, all the players, oh I don't hold any punches, but I feel like the Holly angle has been covered by all the haters.

My point of view, and the view from the 3 elite 8 is not bad in first four season.

Yawns, well I don't hear no music. I don't see no fat bih gettin up to sing... sorry boo!

Go Lady vols.

Yawns. A whole lotta nuttin... wuteva?

I've singled out, Diamond, Nared, Middleton, Meme, Reynolds, Dunbar, Mercedes, all the players, oh I don't hold any punches, but I feel like the Holly angle has been covered by all the haters.

My point of view, and the view from the 3 elite 8 is not bad in first four season.

Yawns, well I don't hear no music. I don't see no fat bih gettin up to sing... sorry boo!

Go Lady vols.

You speak English or nah?

Thank you!
Post of the Day!

You speak English or nah?

Nope. Latin is my first language. Is that what u call in insult?

wuteva? :thud:

And moving right along, Russell did hold her own against Baylor bigs.

Lang, should be another good matchup.

I would like to still see more activity in the paint by RUSSELL since our guards get beat off the dribble so much, she might have to help more without leaving her player open, take some chances Russell, especially if u see that player up in the air, or picked up their dribble.

Go Russell.

stolen from a Pat4life post in another thread

"Tennessee Center Mercedes Russell

(On if she was happy with her performance)
"Defensively, I did pretty good. I held their posts players to 1-for-9 and 3-for-12, so I thought my defense was pretty good. "

that's not good enough for you? she scored 22 points and had 12 rebounds,not so bad considering she was double teamed a lot

I think that is pretty damn good[/QUOTE

Russell could benefit from weight lifting and better coaching. She needs to be aggressive from the start of the game until the end. I think that she has the tools to be a much better player.

VN Store

Back