it's the players' fault!!!

why sure...can't be the coach...every good coach knows that...geez...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

If your a Vol fan, softball and a few sports in track is all we got.
Football and women's BB sux. Mens BB in rebuild for two or more years.
Baseball sux.
Rowing....................................................why, just why?

Therefore, yeah, softball is pretty much all we have.

Last edited:
I usually do not agree with a lot of things Doris Burk says, however, twice she hit the nail on the head. First she said that a lot of teams would be glad to have the active players that Tennessee has. That seems to be her way of questioning the coaching. Second, Burk stated that Tennessee did not have an identifiable leader on the floor. It was apparent, from the start, that we are not close to being in the same league as UCONN, Baylor, ND, South Carolina, and perhaps Mississippi State and Texas.

I agree with Doris that we have the players, however, we had no answer for Baylor. If Mulkey had left in her starters, they would have beat us by forty. The reality is, we need better coaching that has the ability to make in game and halftime changes. Holly and her crew simply do not have what is needed to make the Lady Vols a top 10 team. We need to quit fooling ourselves.

Reactions: 2 people
I usually do not agree with a lot of things Doris Burk says, however, twice she hit the nail on the head. First she said that a lot of teams would be glad to have the active players that Tennessee has. That seems to be her way of questioning the coaching. Second, Burk stated that Tennessee did not have an identifiable leader on the floor. It was apparent, from the start, that we are not close to being in the same league as UCONN, Baylor, ND, South Carolina, and perhaps Mississippi State and Texas.

I agree with Doris that we have the players, however, we had no answer for Baylor. If Mulkey had left in her starters, they would have beat us by forty. The reality is, we need better coaching that has the ability to make in game and halftime changes. Holly and her crew simply do not have what is needed to make the Lady Vols a top 10 team. We need to quit fooling ourselves.

Doris, actually is loving this. She would take any opportunity to make a dig at the Lady Vols. wuteva?

Our guards haven't been playing good basketball, simply as that. Once, the other coach saw this team competitive fire, they would be looking to head back to their respective school.

The good news is we get Cooper back back next year - a terrific PG as well as a fantastic rookie class including another terrific guard. The bad news is Mercedes and DD might be gone (DD being gone may be a good thing), and I don't believe the players we have coming in are more talented than the players who may be leaving.

My point is that if the coaches can't coach players like Nared, DD and Russell to be winners, how does anyone think it will be any better with Westbrook, etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Doris, actually is loving this. She would take any opportunity to make a dig at the Lady Vols. wuteva?

Our guards haven't been playing good basketball, simply as that. Once, the other coach saw this team competitive fire, they would be looking to head back to their respective school.

The players' competitive fire cannot be solely placed on the players. Players usually emulate the personality of their coach.

I am not a big fan of Doris Burk, however, she did have two valid points. This team is trending downward and we need to do something if we have the desire to be a top 10 team. We cannot continue to say wait for next year. If our only loss came from Baylor, I say so be it, but loses to VT and PSU shows that we need a lot of work.

Reactions: 1 person
The players' competitive fire cannot be solely placed on the players. Players usually emulate the personality of their coach.

I am not a big fan of Doris Burk, however, she did have two valid points. This team is trending downward and we need to do something if we have the desire to be a top 10 team. We cannot continue to say wait for next year. If our only loss came from Baylor, I say so be it, but loses to VT and PSU shows that we need a lot of work.

If the team isn't playing hard for Holly, it's because they don't trust her or believe in her. That's 100% on the coach. What does she think? She can just yell "Inside OUT!" and "No quick shooting!" a couple of times and that makes her a leader?

Just watched UConn dismantle Texas after 3 tough quarters. They are clinical in the way that they play, and the players are not more individually talented than Tennessee's. But they have bought into whatever Geno is selling, and it's paying off. No excuses, just play hard.

Tennessee needs a coach that can lead and earn the players' trust. That ain't Holly.

Reactions: 4 people
The good news is we get Cooper back back next year - a terrific PG as well as a fantastic rookie class including another terrific guard. The bad news is Mercedes and DD might be gone (DD being gone may be a good thing), and I don't believe the players we have coming in are more talented than the players who may be leaving.

My point is that if the coaches can't coach players like Nared, DD and Russell to be winners, how does anyone think it will be any better with Westbrook, etc?

You remember a different Cooper than I remember from last year--a quick shooting turnover queen.

Reactions: 5 people
You remember a different Cooper than I remember from last year--a quick shooting turnover queen.

This is how Holly supporters make excuses.

Last year vs. Syracuse, Jordan was out but Te'a was there. Syracuse crushed Tennessee because "we were missing Jordan."

This year, Te'a is out and Jordan is healthy. They lose to VT, PSU and get thoroughly smacked down by Baylor because "we miss Te'a. Jordan's not a true PG".

I'm sure last year there were losses blamed on the ever-important Alexis Middleton being injured, just as Kortney's injured foot was probably why they lost to VT and PSU :crazy:

Reactions: 5 people
I just want to clear the air on one thing, Holly supporters are not why this team lost. This team does not have confidence nor are they playing hard. They appear not to be prepared to play. The swagger is gone. Holly supporters have nothing to do with this. To continually bring up Holly supporters in a context that insinuates it is a bad thing is adolescent and acting out. Some of you need to focus on the real issues and stop trying to shift the blame to fans who do not deserve it.

Certainly Holly takes a lot of the blame because she is the one who is ultimately accountable for the team's overall performance, regardless of the reasons.

But, couldn't this year's team performance have been reasonably predicted just based on attrition alone? You lose Bashaara, Andraya (unexpectedly), and Te'a (unexpectedly) from last year's team without any significant additions - this team just isn't going to be as good. No mystery here.

Reactions: 1 person
Heartbreaking week in East Tennessee. I missed the game due to helping in Gaglinburg, but I kept checking my iPhone when possible.

Just watched the game, and thank goodness I was able to fast-forward. Maybe I should never watch live.

Sadly, this type of massive-failure loss can't be blamed on one entity, it's on everyone, from Holly down to the team managers. Holly's lost when it comes to teaching and motivating these young ladies; yet more importantly, the players are lost to the point of fundamental anarchy. They can't pass, block out, defend ... and in some cases even dribble the ball with finesse. They haven't been able to hit lay ups during Holly's reign, and the decline in consistent close-range shooting began in the last few years under Pat. The problem has never been addressed, period. If you take 400 lay ups in practice instead of utilizing 95% of your time on outside shots, you'll hit nine of 10 lay ups in the game.

If Holly survives this season and comes back for '17-18, she needs to can her entire staff, sans Reaves. We need a fundamental beast to coach our guards. A tough-as-nails up-and-comer to guide our post. Dean has been here too long. He'll get a good job. He's actually done a decent, but not great, job with Mercedes.

Diamond needs to go pro, even though $$ is no obstacle in her life. She's pressing and feels the sole pressure of living up to the Summitt legacy. She needs a fresh start. I actually love her game, when it's on. We aren't seeing "on" much this year. I cringe to think how much Te'a and Diamond could kill team chemistry if they play together. If Te'a leaves because DD goes pro, so be it. Hayes can be our now and future at the point.

David Blackburn won't fire Holly this summer. No way with a Number One class coming in. But she's on a one-year probation. No massive improvement and anything less than Final Four = retirement.

We can hope for steady improvement going forward. Things sure can't get worse, can they?

VN Store

Back