Lady Vols are a driect reflection of.....

HoopDR

the fans in TBA.

When I watch them play they look just like the fans at their home games. Clueless, LIFELESS, totally dis-engaged, and DEAD.

I have been to close to 100 different arenas to watch womens basketball games. I would not rank the atmosphere at TBA for a Lady Vols game in the top 30.

Yes, there are a lot of bodies in the seats, there are a lot of bodies in a grave yard also, but the atmosphere sucks. I've been to gyms with no more than 400 people that had more energy.

If you are gonna go......get off your ass and support your team!!! Don't let them have a slow start or play un-inspired. Let them feed off the crowds energy. Don't wait for a exciting play to happen for you to clap a couple times.

Stand up and give them energy for the entire first qtr and see if it makes a difference.

Fans that are hungry for a Championship sure do!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Agree! I was at the Lady Vol vs. Navy game few weeks ago and the attendance was only 8800ish. Not good for our traditional program (any other program that is probably a top 5 game). But the fans that were there it was like they were watching golf!

Reactions: 2 people
I went to my first game at TBA and was cheering like I did at Titans games and people were staring at me like I was crazy.

Yes, there are a lot of bodies in the seats, there are a lot of bodies in a grave yard also, but the atmosphere sucks. I've been to gyms with no more than 400 people that had more energy.

If you have actually been to a game at TBA, you would know a lot of those bodies in the seats are getting close to the graveyard. Not trying to be ugly, but the LV fanbase is just a much different demographic....

Reactions: 1 person
If you have actually been to a game at TBA, you would know a lot of those bodies in the seats are getting close to the graveyard. Not trying to be ugly, but the LV fanbase is just a much different demographic....

Not much different than the fans at ND.....and they rock the house! Even when it is 2 degrees outside!! I used to work at TBA and care deeply for many of those folks.

TBA fans are right behind aTm. Only because they get sooo excited when Gary Blair comes out before the games and mingles in the crowd and passes out hard candies.

Last edited:

The difference is that Tennessee cultivated a lot of fans 20+ years ago, whereas a lot of schools have grown their fan support as ESPN and the overall presence of the sport has grown with it (to the extent that it has). Tennessee was converting fans long before most of those teams had anything going for them. Those LV fans are avid, lifelong supporters, who've become accustomed to seeing the best play on a weekly basis, who now don't see that and don't know what to make of it. They don't want to cheer for average; Pat Summitt taught them to never accept the average. They don't know what to do. They want to cheer, I believe they do, but it's been so long since Tennessee hasn't been a serious top team that it's strange days for all involved.

Reactions: 4 people
I think it is time to say this is not a talented team. Talented players can make layups and open shots and the players we have cannot. I think we have to finally realize that these players were overrated coming out of high school.

Just what would excite Lady Vol fans in the last 4 years....certainly not the teams that have been fielded by Holly Warlick.Conversely the fans at Notre Dame has good reason to be excited about the team's they have fielded .

Reactions: 3 people
The difference is that Tennessee cultivated a lot of fans 20+ years ago, whereas a lot of schools have grown their fan support as ESPN and the overall presence of the sport has grown with it (to the extent that it has). Tennessee was converting fans long before most of those teams had anything going for them. Those LV fans are avid, lifelong supporters, who've become accustomed to seeing the best play on a weekly basis, who now don't see that and don't know what to make of it. They don't want to cheer for average; Pat Summitt taught them to never accept the average. They don't know what to do. They want to cheer, I believe they do, but it's been so long since Tennessee hasn't been a serious top team that it's strange days for all involved.
. The best comment: "Pat taught us to never accept average."

Just what would excite Lady Vol fans in the last 4 years....certainly not the teams that have been fielded by Holly Warlick.Conversely the fans at Notre Dame has good reason to be excited about the team's they have fielded .

I guess if you're a "true" LV fan, you are expected to accept mediocrity with loud enthusiasm! I think the enthusiasm has waned in correlation with the declining passion of the players and the coaching staff's inability to inspire them. Fans grow restless watching opposing teams go on 14-15 to 0 runs, an almost unheard of event in seasons past. My opinion is that if you're unhappy with the fan base, just be patient, because there will be fewer "dead" supporters in the seats as mediocrity flourishes.

I think it is time to say this is not a talented team. Talented players can make layups and open shots and the players we have cannot. I think we have to finally realize that these players were overrated coming out of high school.

It's the coach's job to practice fundamentals and let's not forget: Holly recruited them. She wanted them. If they are overrated, she's the one who essentially rated them. It all comes back to HER. No getting around it.

I guess if you're a "true" LV fan, you are expected to accept mediocrity with loud enthusiasm! I think the enthusiasm has waned in correlation with the declining passion of the players and the coaching staff's inability to inspire them. Fans grow restless watching opposing teams go on 14-15 to 0 runs, an almost unheard of event in seasons past. My opinion is that if you're unhappy with the fan base, just be patient, because there will be fewer "dead" supporters in the seats as mediocrity flourishes.

I don't know about that.....they been coming since 2009. And the UT fans still put 100,000 in the seats at Neyland.

20 years ago the sport was UT/UConn and everyone else. The game atmosphere was much better then when they were exciting to watch and TBA was averaging 15K per game than it is now. Since Pat's demise Geno has taken his program to unprecedented heights in WBB, while Holly has taken the Lady Vols to unprecedented lows for the program. UConn is America's team, and former LV fans who were riding the bandwagon in the glory days have long since jumped off. General fan apathy is setting in as the program continues to flounder under Holly, which is reflected in the attendance....

Reactions: 5 people
Not much different than the fans at ND.....and they rock the house! Even when it is 2 degrees outside!! I used to work at TBA and care deeply for many of those folks.

TBA fans are right behind aTm. Only because they get sooo excited when Gary Blair comes out before the games and mingles in the crowd and passes out hard candies.

This is hilarious! I believe Gary Blair is one of the most entertaining coaches in the game. He tells it how it is. Unlike Holly, "uhhh uhhh uhh i dont know. Well we look good in practice, but Dan we..I just dont know"

UT women's basketball fans are old, and the program itself is withering pretty steadily. It is past time for Hart to make a move.

I wouldn't look for Hart to make a move on any coach. He will ride it out and change will only come when the people in power behind the scenes demand it and the money dries up. If that happens due to fan apathy or lack of donations then you will see the changes come quickly and without hesitation.

UT women's basketball fans are old, and the program itself is withering pretty steadily. It is past time for Hart to make a move.

The fans that attend Tennessee women's basketball games are no different than the fans that attend other WCBB games. WCBB attracts a loyal following of retirees (WCBB is affordable for those on a fixed income), young girls who play on recreational or grade school basketball teams (who idolize the college players), and current students of the host university. Many fans would prefer to be seated with these people as opposed to the drunken, loud, obnoxious goons who attend men's college football games. WCBB is far more family-friendly. The demographics of the fans at Tennessee games are no different than those that attend WCBB games at Notre Dame (except the Notre Dame fans are better educated). And yet Notre Dame repeatedly gets to the Final Four. So how is the age of the fans responsible for one team's success and another team's lack thereof?

The fans that attend Tennessee women's basketball games are no different than the fans that attend other WCBB games. WCBB attracts a loyal following of retirees (WCBB is affordable for those on a fixed income), young girls who play on recreational or grade school basketball teams (who idolize the college players), and current students of the host university. Many fans would prefer to be seated with these people as opposed to the drunken, loud, obnoxious goons who attend men's college football games. WCBB is far more family-friendly. The demographics of the fans at Tennessee games are no different than those that attend WCBB games at Notre Dame (except the Notre Dame fans are better educated). And yet Notre Dame repeatedly gets to the Final Four. So how is the age of the fans responsible for one team's success and another team's lack thereof?

a causal relationship between the age of Vol fans and the state of the program. They were two separate statements, and maybe I should not have linked them in the same sentence--but there was a comma!

A lot of UT's women's fans clearly go back way into the Summitt era, which is fine, wonderful. They are loyal. I don't know how many students attend UT home games--but maybe more are needed. There is probably some truth to the comment that more energy from the crowd would be a good thing. But, yea, crowd excitement generally comes from the team playing well--and, truth be told, UT has not played consistently well for 10 years. The program badly needs a fresh coaching staff--a young, dynamic and demanding head coach who wants and expects to bring UT women's basketball back to the top. That couldn't be more obvious--and has been obvious for a few years.

That is the most callous and absolutely stupid thing I have ever heard.

Rickster,this is just a continuation of armchair's constant denigration of all things Tennessee and southern along with his repeated disdain for people of a different political persuasion. If he is,as his posts suggest,as dismissive of other opinions in his life,he must be truly miserable. And if he thinks his opinions are the majority,delusional as well.

Reactions: 3 people
Rickster,this is just a continuation of armchair's constant denigration of all things Tennessee and southern along with his repeated disdain for people of a different political persuasion. If he is,as his posts suggest,as dismissive of other opinions in his life,he must be truly miserable. And if he thinks his opinions are the majority,delusional as well.

I marvel at the time invested in posting on this site by armchair and a few others. They make sure to hit every thread lamenting the state of the Lady Vols program and their opinion of a need for a coaching change. It's just amazing to me it apparently impacts their lives that much. LOL

And by the way, let's keep making new threads saying the same thing over and over! How many are we up to now? I don't get why this is necessary to keep starting thread after thread. Stupid.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back