Swan Song

Orange_Mamba

When does it get better guys. My faith is starting to wane. To quote Holly, "I I I I just don't know". Every week we're hearing how the girls are having a good showing in practice not the game but practice. Then when it's time to play we they look like a 5th grade aau squad. Holly said they started the offseason focused of offense, heck I can't tell.
For the amount time spent going over and emphasizing defense we're so kind enough to help them get to the basket. It still baffles my mind that they've discussed or ran a box and 1 until the second game of this season. The coaches didn't think to implement one last year when other team star players where dropping career highs on them every night.
I don't know how we finish this year out we could potentially go 2-4 in December. All I know is there're 5 and 4 star players majority have won one, two or more state titles, were highly recruited out of high school by every major college and in the years they've been here it's like they're not being taught. What are the coaches teaching them? They don't know how to read a defense. They probably couldn't run a simple motion play if you'd ask. But HEY! more 5 stars are on the and we can look forward to saying the next years class will be the one to get us over the hump. Rinse wash and repeat.

Reactions: 2 people
But she's such a nice person and a true Lady Vol that makes her more than qualified. It's not like she's trying to suck as a head coach! Over 30 years of coaching experience and almost age 60, but she's still learning just be patient! She will morph into Geno any day now!

:bash:

You do realize if Holly goes so does our class, right?

I don't think that is the case, it depends on who is brought in. As stated with a lot of the girls they want to bring Tennessee back to Championship level so if a coach is brought in with the Resume' that can get it done, I think they will all come. It would be too much playing time to pass up to go elsewhere realistically.

Reactions: 8 people
Every single girl in this class has signed a LOI, so if Holly gets fired and they want to leave, they have to sit out a year

Reactions: 5 people
Every single girl in this class has signed a LOI, so if Holly gets fired and they want to leave, they have to sit out a year

Not if the school grants them a release, which I'm sure Tennessee would if there were a coaching change and any player wanted to go elsewhere....

Um, so they really want to play for Holly?

I don't think so. They want to play for the Vols and a 9th NC, and those are two totally opposite things.

Holly signed them, so yes they want to play for her. Clearly you don't know what went into putting the recruiting class together.

Every post you make on here is defending Holly. She's getting paid millions of dollars to win. You act when people criticize her it's unwarranted, as you can see by their play it's totally justified.

Not true, I'm just not an irrational fan. Turnovers and missed layups, lost today's game, it's that simple There is a big difference between constructive criticism, and blaming the coach for anything and everything. Russell said in postgame press, We have to go up stronger and finish layups through contact. We practice it all the time. To some I guess that's bad coaching and Holly's fault too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Not true, I'm just not an irrational fan. Turnovers and missed layups, lost today's game, it's that simple There is a big difference between constructive criticism, and blaming the coach for anything and everything. Russell said in postgame press, We have to go up stronger and finish layups through contact. We practice it all the time. To some I guess that's bad coaching and Holly's fault too.

This problem has been going on for the past 3 seasons. It's the coach job to fix these problems. When a coach keep saying I don't know or I don't know what the problem then you have every right to question the coaching.

Reactions: 7 people
They made the Elite 8 last year, so please stop. Did ND? Did SC? No. I agree they have issues, and the big one this year is they have no healthy true PG. I expected a player or two to step up. So far they have not. If I were Holly, I'd bench her, but with 8 healthy players, she may feel she can't. I disagree, but I am not in charge.

Reactions: 5 people
When your aspirations of this years team and past teams is to be happy with elite eight appearances and an SEC title or two. Then therein lies the problem.

Reactions: 8 people
They made the Elite 8 last year, so please stop. Did ND? Did SC? No. I agree they have issues, and the big one this year is they have no healthy true PG. I expected a player or two to step up. So far they have not. If I were Holly, I'd bench her, but with 8 healthy players, she may feel she can't. I disagree, but I am not in charge.

A 22-point beatdown against a no-name program playing in their first E8 when you were the pre-season #4 and 8-time NC champion isn't much to crow about, especially when they did you the favor of clearing a path to the FF.

As for PG play, they have two HS AA that were recruited to play PG for Tennessee: Jordan Reynolds and Alexa Middleton. Both of them are healthy, so what's the problem here?

I'm curious, what would it take for you to consider that maybe Holly just isn't doing a very good job with this stockpile of highly rated, HS AA talent?

Reactions: 7 people
There is a very fine line to follow when coaching kids today. A good percentage of kids want to play and excel, but they don't want to put in the time and effort required to push themselves beyond a certain threshold to reach their best. Some players are self-motivated and do not need pushing by the coach. lt is the coach, in many instances, to push the other players beyond their comfort zone. Some coaches have a natural knack for reaching players and drawing out the best from them. From watching Holly for several years, it is obvious the players love her, but she doesn't seem to have the ability to capture their attention when it comes to motivating and developing their no-quit attitude. Some players will go "beyond the call of duty" and do anything to sacrifice for their coach. l don't see that desire and drive from our Lady Vols to go that extra mile. A good coach commands and demands the best always from players. When Holly says her players have outstanding practices, but they do not deliver in the game, there is a flaw in transferring what she teaches in practice to game situations. This is mostly from mental preparation and discipline of the team. Holly needs to re-examine her coaching methods because she is not reaching all of her players. The fact that last years team played better in the tournament than they did most of the regular season is probably a good indication they are not willing to play until they have to.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back