Another Bad Day In Vol Nation

teacherdean

Another bad day for Holly and the Lady Vols against an unranked team. We were simply awful. VT and PSU proved that it does not take five stars to beat bad five stars. I just do not think Holly has what it takes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I don't think the number of recruiting stars has much to do with the results right now.

This game gives me real hope that the Lady Vols could ....maybe ....win half their games this year thus setting the all time record for losses.
Hicks for Va Tech beat the Lady Vols single handedly thru 10 steals,at least 10 assists,and I do not know how many points.She is 5'6 and played like 6'6 while Russell is 6'6 and played like she is 5'6.Not one Lady Vol had a good game.Diamond had 10 turnovers and no one could shoot layups which is no change from yesteryear.This team is just as frustrating to watch as last year's team.They will be lucky to win 15 games.Coaching was subpar per normal.

Reactions: 6 people
Another bad day for Holly and the Lady Vols against an unranked team. We were simply awful. VT and PSU proved that it does not take five stars to beat bad five stars. I just do not think Holly has what it takes.

Yep, we've known this for a couple of years now.

Reactions: 7 people
That is a given, it is not the Stars it is what you do with the Stars you have. Right now our stars are not shinning very bright.

I hear you, I'm saying I wouldn't call our players "bad five stars." They aren't bad. The team composition might be a bad mix, we might be short on ball control, but they're not bad five stars. I just don't want us slamming them for doing what they do. I'd rather we focus on why they do what they do.

Reactions: 3 people
Coaching,though not great,was adequate today,except for not staying in a zone defense more. What we saw today was an awful team effort that shows what will happen to this team when either Diamond or Mercedes has a bad game. All the others are seemingly just role players who don't seem to know their roles. Poor ball handling,poor shooting,poor defense,and poor decision making played much bigger roles than coaching. And is there anyone in Orange that can hit a layup?

Reactions: 1 person
Why don't a few of you so called "Vol Fans" man/woman up and stand by your team instead of throwing players and coaches under the bus.

Reactions: 6 people
I hear you, I'm saying I wouldn't call our players "bad five stars." They aren't bad. The team composition might be a bad mix, we might be short on ball control, but they're not bad five stars. I just don't want us slamming them for doing what they do. I'd rather we focus on why they do what they do.

Please tell me what are good five stars if these aren't bad.

Vols softball is all we have left.

I hope so.Thru all the football really bad years I used to look to Lady Vol BB to lift my spirits but that is no longer in the cards.....now as you say it has slipped to softball and I am afraid that they just do not have the pitching to go to World Series but there is always hope.

Reactions: 2 people
Why don't a few of you so called "Vol Fans" man/woman up and stand by your team instead of throwing players and coaches under the bus.

Been standing behind the team since 1977 ,How long have you been standing behind the team? I hasten to add that rightful criticism does not mean that someone does not " stand by the team ".

Reactions: 5 people
Coaching,though not great,was adequate today,except for not staying in a zone defense more. What we saw today was an awful team effort that shows what will happen to this team when either Diamond or Mercedes has a bad game. All the others are seemingly just role players who don't seem to know their roles. Poor ball handling,poor shooting,poor defense,and poor decision making played much bigger roles than coaching. And is there anyone in Orange that can hit a layup?

All the faults that you so accurately point out certainly does not paint a picture of good coaching.Au contraire it points to bad coaching .this is not a team ....they play as individuals not as a team and that my friend is the job of the Coach.

Reactions: 5 people

I disagree that this was an awful team effort. I saw good effort by a few and some mental laziness by others, but overall it was a failure to execute combined with a lack of any guards with enough speed to defend Hicks.

The only good thing about today is that I didn't wake up with a hangover. Went to church and convinced myself that football really doesn't matter.

I sincerely believe that if Jamie Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Diamond Deshields were on another team together at a different school we would be seeing a much better product.

Reactions: 8 people
A lot of things are wrong with this team. No real point guard a bunch of players that are inconsistent shooters. None are really very good defensive players. They play a stand and look offense for at least 20 seconds per possession. Coach can never make adjustments to control a player on the other team that is killing us like number 12 today. Go ahead and add we look like were not really interested in playing would rather be somewhere else as intensity is low. Holly looks like a deer in headlights when other team goes on a run. Our passing is nothing short of inept. The record of 14 losses in a season is in real jeopardy this year.

We are on the same page. It is not that we have bad 5 stars, I feel we have bad coaches coaching our 5 stars. I feel that Holly is over her head. Good assistant coaches do not always make good head coaches, no matter how bad we want them to be good. Usually bad coaches refuse to step down, they have to be fired.

Reactions: 3 people
We are on the same page. It is not that we have bad 5 stars, I feel we have bad coaches coaching our 5 stars. I feel that Holly is over her head. Good assistant coaches do not always make good head coaches, no matter how bad we want them to be good. Usually bad coaches refuse to step down, they have to be fired.

Unfortunately she's not going anywhere. Even after they stink it up this year, the players coming in next year should be good enough to get them to a winning record, a top 4 finish in the SEC, and probably the S16. That will be viewed as a rousing success.

I getcha. I'm not quite in the "fire Holly" camp, not yet, but I definitely have said since day 0 (back when she was sort of the head coach) that I was worried about the demeanor and tone of the program. Being a leader is not something you can learn overnight, or even sometimes in a lifetime. Doesn't matter if you see someone else lead, it's different when you have the wheel in your hands. You can know all about the Xs and Os but it won't matter at all if you can't get the best of the players OR if you can't get those players to respect your wishes. Even 5 star players need structure before they can play to their potential. You can "free their minds" to shoot the ball and hustle, but it's always seemed to me that a lot of the freedom comes from them knowing the system, and respecting the person giving you your orders. You let the leader handle the other things, and you focus on your roles. Rebounding, defending, boxing out, shooting, fronting, whatever. So on, so forth. Without that, even 5 star players will look scrubby sometimes. Maybe most of the time.

But, I also admit I don't know *anything* about how the program is internally, so I don't think speculating on my part is going to be fair. Just my perception.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Doom, Despair, Agony on me......Hee Haw
This is the End.......The Doors
Champions of Life........B. Jones

Somebody make it stop!

A hoped-for season of change that began with a faint glimmer of hope that the offense would be improved has now been unmasked as Gaston Leroux's Phantom in a repeat performance from last season's opera.

Middleton and Jackson have failed to capitalize on the opportunity before them. The team is soft and undisciplined on both sides of the ball. There is no timing in the offense. Players are ready to receive a pass well before the passer is ready to pass and vice-versa. Passing overall is sloppy and haphazard.

There is little in the way of defensive help or communication. Defenders remain stationary as a teammate is exploited. Guards are not crashing the boards to rebound.

The team turned it around a bit last season. The manner of these last two losses coupled with the short bench leave me unable to believe there will be a similar turn around this season. But I'll do what I always try to do: Take it one game at a time and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 2 people
When a young lady is recruited by a university, there parents put there child in your hands for the next four years, trusting that you and your staff will mature, nurture, educate and make them into better basketball players before they leave your program. Some of the young ladies even have aspirations of playing in the WNBA. Our group of young ladies are not even close to accomplishing the latter (BASKETBALL POTENTIAL). The coach must be the Alpha, not there friends. They are on scholarship at the university not just passing through. Every coach has a plan for success for its program and the type of players he or she gives that precious scholarship too. Reynolds, Nared, Dunbar, Middleton, Jackson, Russell, Harris, Nunn and D.D haven't been forced by this staff to work on the things that they are lacking to be Division 1 players. They all are masquerading in TN uniforms. It isn't a coincident that we are losing to the Penn Sts. and Virginia Techs of the world every yr.!! All players take on the attitude of there coach, if your Tough, No Nonsense, or Soft, they inherit your personality and demeanor. Leave the bridging the gaps to your assistant coaches, that's what you pay them for. Our young ladies can't shoot, defend, pass, rebound aggressively or run a zone or man to man offense, that is pathetic at the college level!!! It all falls back on the coaching staff, the young ladies are a product of what you are teaching them period!! You can't be a inside out team, if you don't have players who can knock down the open shots. That is basketball 101. You must design a offense around the talent you have!! This group of girls is a run and gun team period (Get it out and go). They don't have the right(IQ) or mix of players to be inside out, like South Carolina!!! So please Vol nation quit getting upset when they lose to teams they are supposed to beat or maybe just maybe they were not supposed to beat them in the first place!! Talent can over come some coaching but we are highly and I mean highly Overrated, you watch the games just like I do, we struggle in every facet of the game!!

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back