Zone Busting Lineup

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
I didn't get to watch the last game on the b10 network but it seems to me that this lineup should be able to bust a zone.

1. Diamond pg
2. Middleton sg
3. Dunbar sg
4. Nared f
5. Russell c

Middleton and Dunbar are there to shoot 3s and stretch the d, nothing else.

Diamond is instructed to facilitate the offense, push the fast break, play great defense, shoot the occasional open 3, and make something happen up against the shoot clock.

Nared needs to rebound and get those important garbage points that she seems to be good at finding.

Russell needs to rebound and work the inside out game when it's there, but no one should just force it in there.

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly, good coaching is the best way to beat the zone; teams that can pass the ball, have good spacing and shoot from various spots on the floor can beat the zone. It's when teams just settle for 22 foot shots that they don't beat the zone.

Reactions: 3 people
Stop dribbling start passing side to side. But this team also has to play defense which seems to be a shortcoming

The real problem is Holly has given up on her two fingered whistle:D

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't get to watch the last game on the b10 network but it seems to me that this lineup should be able to bust a zone.

1. Diamond pg
2. Middleton sg
3. Dunbar sg
4. Nared f
5. Russell c

That might be a cool line up to practice with for the next week then try our vs Tennessee St.

That starting lineup would definitely have to play a zone defense because they couldn't keep up with a good offense playing man to man D

Reactions: 1 person
That starting lineup would definitely have to play a zone defense because they couldn't keep up with a good offense playing man to man D

We should be playing a Zone defense anyway, we don't have the defenders to play man to man effectively

With Holly's coaching there is little hope of busting any zone defense....it is just not part of her coaching DNA.

Common sense would tell anybody that if your going to shoot threes then they the majority have to be taken by Middleton and Dunbar and we have to set them up to get open looks. Penn State won because they made nine threes to our two. That is a twenty one point swing. If we hold them to two we win this game by 7 points. If we make the same amount as they did we win by 7. So that one stats shows that we could have won this game by stopping them or be efficient ourselves.

From the three Diamond 0 for 4, Nared 0 for 4, Reynolds 0 for 3, Dunbar 1 for 4, Jackson 1 for 4, Middleton did not even attempt a three and that is just stupid basketball. If I was going against a packed in zone I try to extend it by letting Middleton and Dunbar take a few attempts. If they fail were going to fail because layups and five footers seem to be foreign territory for this team as far as finishing for points.

"In the first half, we were moving the ball around the zone," said Nared, who played 40 minutes. "Nobody was cutting. Nobody was driving. It caused everyone to play us out and all we were doing was shooting threes. We had no movement. When you don't have any movement, it's easy to guard in a 2-3 zone."

It didn't help that DeShields went out for awhile in the first half with an ankle injury before picking up a second foul. She shot 2 for 7 from the floor in 10 first-half minutes and finished 4 for 15 with eight points. She had five assists but also committed four turnovers.

"She just wasn't on her game," Warlick said. "I thought she had moved past that. She's a great player and a great competitor. She didn't have it today. She didn't have it. When your best player doesn't have it, it's going to be a struggle."

When our ladies show up to play we are a good team, when they stand aroudn we are not, simply as that.

Last edited:

1. Diamond pg
2. Middleton sg
3. Dunbar sg
4. Nared f
5. Russell c

Middleton and Dunbar are there to shoot 3s and stretch the d, nothing else.

Diamond is instructed to facilitate the offense, push the fast break, play great defense, shoot the occasional open 3, and make something happen up against the shoot clock.

Nared needs to rebound and get those important garbage points that she seems to be good at finding.

Russell needs to rebound and work the inside out game when it's there, but no one should just force it in there.

Those players were on the floor at the same time but not in the arrangement you have - DD was not PG.

The problem with us playing a zone is that we can't pack it in always have to extend as most teams we play can hit the open three. We pack and they hit four or five open threes we then extend and they drive around us and finish at the basket. We go to a man to man and they drive right past us for layups.
Other team packs the zone we go 0 for ten from the three. So we then try to pass inside and they deflect several of the passes for turnovers. We've got players on this team that are not efficient scorers and can't make enough plays on offense for us to win. I am hoping we can win twenty as some nights they will probably make shots and others probably want be able to throw it in the ocean. Just who we are and Holly could do some things like make Dunbar and Middleton the designated three point shooters but she seems to be ok with Nared and Reynolds throwing them up and that is failure.
I think we'd do better by putting Diamond at the four inside a zone and Russell at the five. Diamond can score inside a zone or get fouled if she is patient with her shooting and could easily put up ten a night from the foul line.

PG-Reynolds
SG-Middleton
C-Russell
PF-Deshields
WF-Dunbar against the zone. Nared against the man to man.

Alexa... and the pattern continues... from the player's mouth.

(On the team chemistry)

"There are only eight or nine of us, so we know each night we are going to have to bring our all every game and we can't let up. Last year we had more numbers and some people might have taken a night off, and we can't do that so we have to hold each other accountable."

Holly please don't start shuffling the lineup, its only been one game, consistency!

Holly's mouth....

(On offensive sets)
"It's taking us a while because generally, I think females are running a pattern. They do it when they're young, in high school, AAU. We're trying to teach them to play the game and play together. It can be ugly at times but it can be rewarding. Once you put in a couple of sets, you learn to read them more. We always say read the defense. Hopefully what we've done in the pre-season has taught them how to read defenses and react. We're doing it now but we'll see how it continues. I've been pleased with shot selection and the flow of our offense. It's going to need some tweaking, I know that. I'm just enjoying watching them play basketball, and I don't have to call every single thing that they run."

Of all the criticism coach Holly Warlick doled out afterward, one observation was especially withering.

“It doesn't take a smart person to figure out we just didn’t want to be up here today,” she said.

In advance of Sunday’s game, sustaining energy and effort was a prevailing theme. Yet those competitive attributes were insufficient virtually from the opening tip and didn't reach adequate levels for extended periods.

Last edited:
Right now hoping that Holly and players can come up with a plan to beat Va. Tech which is a lot better team than Penn State. We definitely can win if players shoot the ball around 45 percent for the game and limit turnovers to less than 15. Definitely would be a huge win on the road and get us back on the right track.

Probably true, you've got two poor defenders and three great ones. I think you could get away with help side man to man, but zone would be better.

This lineup can only bust a zone if Middleton (too inconsistent) and Dunbar (hasn't found her range yet this season) are hitting the trey. Neither can guard glue, so the defensive liability is high.

We have no great point guard this year so Diamond, Mercedes and Jamie have to dominate each game for us to break the Final Four ceiling, and none has shown the ability to lead with toughness yet.

Holly is soft as is her team. Sad.

We have no great point guard this year so Diamond, Mercedes and Jamie have to dominate each game for us to break the Final Four ceiling, and none has shown the ability to lead with toughness yet.

Great play from Diamond, Mercedes and Jaime will win games for Tennessee against mid-tier teams like VA Tech or the lower half of the SEC that would otherwise win. Even if they play great, that may not be enough to beat the likes of ND, SC, Baylor UConn, etc... unless they get scoring help from the rest of the key rotation players.

VN Store

Back