Horrible Holly

allenfan1

I have watched so many games in the years since Pat had to step down. I have hoped and hoped that with time we would become a good team again. After watching the Penn State game yesterday, I am convinced we are never going to be an elite team again. When is the last time that we signed a number 1 class but could not be excited. I understand that she has fans that will be in her corner, but I am so sick of the comment in the interview "we were not prepared or they just wanted it more that we did". I have watched games long enough to understand that a coach's job is more that x's and o's, but it would be good if she could even do that. She is a horrible coach, she has had four years to solve the zone problem that we face every game. It is no different, as our girls are completely lost when they walk on the floor to face a zone. They don't play very good defense and that is suppose to be her strong suit. We will certainly loose next Sunday and then more of the same comments. The girls and even the fans deserve so much better. When will the eyes be open of the people that make decisions in Knoxville. I know that I will be attacked for this post, but you certainly need to face to facts sooner or later. "SHE CAN'T COACH"

Reactions: 16 people
I think she needs to watch what other good coaches a doing to motivate their players because what she is doing just isn't working. I think Pat had the same problem with a couple of her teams as well.

Reactions: 1 person
People want to confuse attacks on Holly the coach as attacks on Holly the person, which isn't the case. It astounds me how many seemingly intelligent people here continue to defend her when the evidence is so overwhelmingly against them.

We shouldn't be surprised, you go bargain basement shopping for a coach expect bargain basement results....

Reactions: 9 people
Holly was named to replace CPS because Pat is loyal and wanted Holly to have a chance. It is not disloyal to replace her after giving her a chance. I know that so many lady vol fans want things to magically fall into place, but they won't. Holly is not smart enough as a coach, and no matter how good this year's recruiting class is, things won't change much. Our offensive scheme is old and outdated, and defensively we don't guard with intensity. To sum it up, our coaching is terrible. We will continue to have teams that underachieve, regardless of the amount of talent we have recruited.

Reactions: 13 people
Just a what if here:

If for some reason the administration fired Holly at the end of the season, would the recruits for 2017 have any recourse to back out and sign elsewhere or would they have to play one year and then transfer?

I just look at the job Foster has done at UTC. They have zero top 100 recruits, but play good teams tougher than we do.

Just a what if here:

If for some reason the administration fired Holly at the end of the season, would the recruits for 2017 have any recourse to back out and sign elsewhere or would they have to play one year and then transfer?

I just look at the job Foster has done at UTC. They have zero top 100 recruits, but play good teams tougher than we do.

It's been done before in the past when there are coaching changes. I thought that was how Kaela Davis re-opened her recruiting. And this may sound mean, but I don't think a single one of those 4 girls are coming to play for Holly. IMO, Holly is not the same as someone like Pat, Geno, Muffett, Dawn, etc... where they get the kids excited about playing for them. These recruits are coming to play for Tennessee.

Reactions: 8 people
Yep! My thoughts exactly! I guess I still do not understand why she cannot make adjustments! It is a mess and will continue to be a mess until someone steps in who can coach a team.

This is not on our players. They are talented and smart young women. They need a coach who can teach them how to play Tennessee basketball!

I hope some former players will step forward and question some of the decisions that are being made. We need help!!

Reactions: 4 people
Hate to admit it but our coaching stinks. Just because you played and coached under Pat Summitt doesn't make you a great coach. We still have 5 former McDonalds All-Americans on our team and there should be no excuse for the way we've played. With the talent we have you give coach Geno this team and they are instantly at top 3 team in the nation. Coaching matters big time especially on the college level. Maybe Holly should look at past UNC film during Diamond's freshman year and see they way they used her which is totally different. Its like everything about us now is so predictable and boring. I hope after this loss to Penn State that Holly can turn it around and make some changes big time. MeMe Jackson appears to be the only one that plays with intensity and fight, we need that from the whole entire team. But any true fan of basketball can clearly see that these girls aren't being coached well!!!!!

Reactions: 11 people
is one the players, but most of it is on our coach and her staff. I don't think HW has the personality or chops to be a good head coach--in fact, that's pretty obvious by now.

I say some of it is on the players because of what happened last season. We played just like this for most of last season, DeShields was not only not good but borderline bad in a large number of games. When the NCAA tournament started, it seemed like she was suddenly motivated to play. She was a different player; she played much better, and we were a much better team. It starts with her. I don't think she's much of a leader, frankly. Basketball, at the end of the day, is about not just talent but your work rate and your passion. Warlick benched DD last year in multiple games for her lackluster play, and rightly so, but she can't even do that this year given our lack of players. Something is wrong when players are uninspired, that is for sure.

Whatever the issues, HW is a transitional coach, and it is time to end the transition. Our AD needs to go out and get the best head coach he can find.

Reactions: 7 people
Whatever the issues, HW is a transitional coach, and it is time to end the transition. Our AD needs to go out and get the best head coach he can find.

Depends on the expectations of the AD. If the program continues to draw crowds, Holly brings the team "far enough" in the tournament, and continues to get top recruits to come over, I can't see a change being made even if the program never achieves contender status again.

With Holly's record, despite not beating any of the better teams and being on the receiving end of a number of upsets, she's not going anywhere unless the AD tells her "Final Four or Go Home"

It's been done before in the past when there are coaching changes. I thought that was how Kaela Davis re-opened her recruiting. And this may sound mean, but I don't think a single one of those 4 girls are coming to play for Holly. IMO, Holly is not the same as someone like Pat, Geno, Muffett, Dawn, etc... where they get the kids excited about playing for them. These recruits are coming to play for Tennessee.

Yes, good point!

Holly seems to think this team will play itself into shape as the season progresses...and probably will...by about March...too little too late! This team should have been game ready and in shape by the first game with JMU. Recruiting was a disaster last year...striking out on every high profile prospect...and the effects will linger for several seasons. Nunn and Harris are not SEC caliber players, just warm bodies signed in desperation to fill out a team! Their contributions this season will be minimal at best. The doomed souls at the Alamo had a better chance of avoiding disaster at the hands of the Mexican Army than Holly has of making this team a serious contender in the SEC this season. Pre-season number 4 last year dropped like a rock off radar and it looks like deja vu all over again! As Pat's dad once told her, "You can't take mules to the Kentucky Derby"...the opposite can be said...that you can't have a mule grooming thoroughbreds to run in the Derby either...:shhh:

fire dean asap and bring Andy Landers in to motivate the team till next year. Holly might even listen to him and get something going right. :(

Reactions: 3 people
This thread is pathetic! Started by a troll and ate up by almost all of the HHs (Holly Haters) we have on this board! Constant hate for the Lady Vol program....I bet you all were elated when we lost our first game, which is quite sad for so called "fans"

Next year will be a complete different story and I'll SO be looking for you alls post!

Reactions: 10 people
is one the players, but most of it is on our coach and her staff. I don't think HW has the personality or chops to be a good head coach--in fact, that's pretty obvious by now.

I say some of it is on the players because of what happened last season. We played just like this for most of last season, DeShields was not only not good but borderline bad in a large number of games. When the NCAA tournament started, it seemed like she was suddenly motivated to play. She was a different player; she played much better, and we were a much better team. It starts with her. I don't think she's much of a leader, frankly. Basketball, at the end of the day, is about not just talent but your work rate and your passion. Warlick benched DD last year in multiple games for her lackluster play, and rightly so, but she can't even do that this year given our lack of players. Something is wrong when players are uninspired, that is for sure.

Players want to play for coaches who have that fire/spark and Holly doesn't showcase any of that. There is a coach on the bench who has it and has been responsible for several things;

1. Diamond's turnaround
2. All of the recruits in the 2017 class
3. The teams improved play in the tournament.

That coach has fire and can motivate these girls and it was proven when Holly benched herself and let her coach the second half of the game; the team went on to blow the opposition out.

She wasn't successful in her previous stop, and I am not saying she replaces Holly in the long run but I think she has a lot more insight and can reach these young ladies far greater than Holly will if given the chance.

Holly needs to truly utilize Coach Law. Under coach Stringer and even her time at Illinois, she's always been apart of good defenses and her teams were guard oriented and the post dominated when they had the advantage but for the most part they relied on the perimeter players to get it done.

Coach Law is truly responsible for a lot of what we have seen in terms of what I've stated before but I think Holly rely's on Dean to design the game plan for the week as many previous stated and if that is the case then that lies the problem as his responsibilities (what he can do as a coach) haven't been very satisfactory when you look at our post under his watch.

Reactions: 2 people
Players want to play for coaches who have that fire/spark and Holly doesn't showcase any of that. There is a coach on the bench who has it and has been responsible for several things;

1. Diamond's turnaround
2. All of the recruits in the 2017 class
3. The teams improved play in the tournament.

That coach has fire and can motivate these girls and it was proven when Holly benched herself and let her coach the second half of the game; the team went on to blow the opposition out.

She wasn't successful in her previous stop, and I am not saying she replaces Holly in the long run but I think she has a lot more insight and can reach these young ladies far greater than Holly will if given the chance.

Holly needs to truly utilize Coach Law. Under coach Stringer and even her time at Illinois, she's always been apart of good defenses and her teams were guard oriented and the post dominated when they had the advantage but for the most part they relied on the perimeter players to get it done.

Coach Law is truly responsible for a lot of what we have seen in terms of what I've stated before but I think Holly rely's on Dean to design the game plan for the week as many previous stated and if that is the case then that lies the problem as his responsibilities (what he can do as a coach) haven't been very satisfactory when you look at our post under his watch.

Lmfaoooooooooo this is new.....so now Coach Law is the answer?????

This thread is pathetic! Started by a troll and ate up by almost all of the HHs (Holly Haters) we have on this board! Constant hate for the Lady Vol program....I bet you all were elated when we lost our first game, which is quite sad for so called "fans"

Next year will be a complete different story and I'll SO be looking for you alls post!

This year was suppose to be different but the excuses are still the same from Holly and some of you who think she can do no wrong. Nobody is bashing her as a person, her coaching is what many of us have a problem with. Look at our roster and what Geno has to work with this season and tell me who is getting more out of less? And he has played far tougher teams to this point.

You can't continue to say I don't know, or we seem like we were uninspired. As I was always told if your response is I don't know concerning what you have to know/do at your job, then that job isn't for you. She is a great assistant but I don't think the title of Head Coach is for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

Temper! Temper! Right, we all jumped with jubilation at the buzzer!:dance2: Then we all decided that we would get on this board and express anger, dismay, and frustration because our team lost to a team that had to compete harder against the Akron Zips than against us to secure a win!:thumbsup:

This year was suppose to be different but the excuses are still the same from Holly and some of you who think she can do no wrong. Nobody is bashing her as a person, her coaching is what many of us have a problem with. Look at our roster and what Geno has to work with this season and tell me who is getting more out of less? And he has played far tougher teams to this point.

You can't continue to say I don't know, or we seem like we were uninspired. As I was always told if your response is I don't know is a response concerning to you being successful at your job then that job isn't for you. She is a great assistant but I don't think the title of Head Coach is for her.

Good point. Geno is playing with a 5'11 PF, a 6'1 C, and a freshman PG...yet he beat one of the NC favorites. Even with a short bench , Tennessee has way more talent and size than UConn so why the differences in performance. There's no other answer other than coaching.

If next season's team continues to have the same problems, you can bet the usual suspects will blame Evina, blame Anastasia, blame Rennia and continue to shower Holly with praise. Just for some perspective, Diamond was a more sought after recruit than Evina. Same with Mercedes over Kasi, Jaime over Rennia and Te'a over Anastasia. But I guess they were all overrated head cases and Holly did as good a job with them as any other coach could have.

Complacency by the fanbase is what will destroy the program, not fans calling for Holly's head.

Reactions: 11 people
CHW is fine as a coach,do improvements need to be made ? sure they do.but it is another injury riddled team again this year,the shots were there to win Sunday,the players had a crap night shooting

Reactions: 5 people
We Do Need to Improve and as soon as possible , Until we can break a zone down, We will always be in this position . we need to get into gaps , read make a play . simple . We treat a Zone like we can't move. IT's simple move into open area. MOVE INTO OPEN AREA>

Reactions: 2 people
Lmfaoooooooooo this is new.....so now Coach Law is the answer?????

Listen to pass presser's and how Holly praises her and how the players relate to her, I didn't say the long term answer, I said she relates to the players better. She is also (and Holly has went on record to state it) the reason we have the #1 recruiting class and is also the reason Diamond turned it around this year. She also can't be any worst than Holly. What has Holly done with her talent?

Take out the record she has had with Pat's players and lets judge her for what she has done with the players "she" recruited.

Combined With Pat and Her players She is 111-35 (3 Elite 8's and 1 Sweet 16)

With Just Pat's players she is 86-20 (2 Elite 8's and 1 Sweet 16)

With Just the players she recruited she is 25-15 (with 1 Elite 8) and the path was paved for her to make a final 4 as many of the big teams were eliminated and we couldn't get past Syracuse.

So let's take Pat and her (Holly) living off Pat's success and lets judge her for what she has done with Pat's affiliation.

As someone stated Pat was loyal to her and wanted to see her get a shot, she is showing that she isn't what she need's to be for us to be successful, why can't some of you see that?

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back