Exhibition Games

SoDak_LV_Fan

It's a super slow day at work so I'm going around looking at some team's box scores from exhibition games and noticed a few interesting things.
1. I looked at UConn's exhibition win over a D2 opponent and judging from the box score they will basically have a 5 person team. Even with Dangerfield she only got a couple of minutes in a huge blowout game. Granted I don't know health/injury statuses but none of their bench got more than 17 minutes while the starters played in the higher 20's to 30 minute range. To me, very strange for an exhibition game.
2. Kentucky is in a very similar situation. They won their exhibition game by 18 which isn't much. They pretty much only have Akator and Epps with no bench.
3. Texas has a monster non conference schedule. 5 of their first 7 games are teams in the top 15 in the country. Will be very interesting to see how they do playing those ranked teams before Christmas!

Reactions: 2 people
The Kentucky game Epps had 31 pts and Akhator a double-double.

Former Lady Vol and Arizona coach Niya Butts on the Wildcats bench as an assistant. Something about former Lady Vols players that coach Mitchell likes because Shalon Pillow and Kyra Elzy were former assistants also.

Kentucky Women Down Union (Tenn.) 78-60 | UK Wildcats News

I still think that UConn is the team to beat.
Starters Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesia Collier, Saniya Chong and Gabby Williams.
Their bench is questionable at this time. But that starting 5 is a good one! They are all offensive minded.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: UConn Cranks Out 111-39 Exhibition Victory Against IUP :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

Texas Longhorn roster? OMG they are loaded with size, speed and skillz!!! Ballers names jump right out at me!
They're going to be really good at least on paper. Can't wait to see them play UConn, South Carolina and Baylor. They got Stanford and the Lady Vols, also.

Texas Longhorns Athletics - 2016-17 Women's Basketball Roster

Thanks SoDak for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The Kentucky game Epps had 31 pts and Akhator a double-double.

Former Lady Vol and Arizona coach Niya Butts on the Wildcats bench as an assistant. Something about former Lady Vols players that coach Mitchell likes because Shalon Pillow and Kyra Elzy were former assistants also.

Kentucky Women Down Union (Tenn.) 78-60 | UK Wildcats News

I still think that UConn is the team to beat.
Starters Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesia Collier, Saniya Chong and Gabby Williams.
Their bench is questionable at this time. But that starting 5 is a good one! They are all offensive minded.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: UConn Cranks Out 111-39 Exhibition Victory Against IUP :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

Thanks SoDak for sharing.

I also agree that until someone beats them they are the team to beat at the same time I hope they have Butler or Irwin ready to go because size wise (especially in the Post) against teams like Baylor, Texas, ND, South Carolina, Maryland & Ohio State (not sure if they play all these teams) they could have a hard time defending the paint Collier can play down there, I'm unsure if she can truly "bang" though

Last edited:
The stats showed that Irwin and Butler scored in double figures. Dangerfield not so much. I know she's coming off of an injury so there's that.

This I think we can all count on this season. UConn won't be blowing out any Top 10 teams. Close games for all probably.

I'll be watching those games, too. Savoring a loss for the Huskies. Should be fun!:)

I looked at UConn's schedule and projected them to lose three games in the regular season. It could be as much as five but they did get most of their tough games at home. Their conference is very weak. I think they lose to Notre Dame, Maryland and SC. They could lose to Baylor, Ohio State, or Texas but I don't see them going worse that 3 and 3 in those games. Everything else looks like a win.

I looked at UConn's schedule and projected them to lose three games in the regular season. It could be as much as five but they did get most of their tough games at home. Their conference is very weak. I think they lose to Notre Dame, Maryland and SC. They could lose to Baylor, Ohio State, or Texas but I don't see them going worse that 3 and 3 in those games. Everything else looks like a win.

I think they lose to Baylor and OSU as well.
They don't have the inside size and strength to dominate offensively and defensively. This team will look a lot like the post-Taurasi/pre-Charles year, with KLS playing the starring role as Ann Strother. They will live or die by Nurse and KLS, with Collier as the undersized post.

Lady Vol recruit Teniya Page had game high 19 points.

GOPSUSPORTS.com :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State

In case anyone was wondering?
"De'Janae Boykin arrived in Happy Valley at the beginning of 2016 when she transferred from Connecticut. She didn't play during her freshman year due to an injury, but since transferring to Penn State she's been able to get back to 100 percent."

Penn State will be an early test for our Lady Vols.

Last edited:
Lady Vol recruit Tenya Page had game high 19 points.

"De'Janae Boykin arrived in Happy Valley at the beginning of 2016 when she transferred from Connecticut. She didn't play during her freshman year due to an injury, but since transferring to Penn State she's been able to get back to 100 percent."

Yes. I agree.

Lady Vol recruit Tenya Page had game high 19 points.

Will she be able to play against the Vols? Doesn't she have to wait until January to be eligible (enrolled in classes for a full year after transferring)?

Will she be able to play against the Vols? Doesn't she have to wait until January to be eligible (enrolled in classes for a full year after transferring)?

I don't think so because she never played in a game for UConn and announced that she was transferring prior to her freshman season kind of like Elana Delle Don (she took a couple of summer classes before her freshman year I believe) but I could be wrong

Although Boykin never played in a game, she announced her intent to transfer in December and didn't start at PSU until January. Unless they've changed the rule, she won't be eligible to play until the second semester.

Jim

Although Boykin never played in a game, she announced her intent to transfer in December and didn't start at PSU until January. Unless they've changed the rule, she won't be eligible to play until the second semester.

Jim

oh ok cool

The stats showed that Irwin and Butler scored in double figures. Dangerfield not so much. I know she's coming off of an injury so there's that.

This I think we can all count on this season. UConn won't be blowing out any Top 10 teams. Close games for all probably.

I'll be watching those games, too. Savoring a loss for the Huskies. Should be fun!:)
:rock::dance2::rock::dance2::):clapping::popcorn::whistling:

VN Store

Back