SEC Preseason Basketball Media Polls

Not even going to argue third considering we only have nine players and will have to see if any of them are better than last season. SC is certainly the most talented team and picking Miss State second is logical since they beat us twice last season.

Reactions: 3 people
We are no longer the SEC powerhouse we once were...anxious to see how the ladies and coaches respond...the season will depend on chemistry and making in-game adjustments...GO LADY VOLS!

Well, if this doesn't make the players hungry, I don't know what will .... This can easily be motivation. 20 Days!!!!

Preseason All-SEC For DeShields - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Spoken like a coach!

The media sport-moguls all have their individual opinions and desires. Both of which will influence their chosen reps. . . . But on the flip-side,
THIS is a wake-up call.
For everyone.
Not just the players.

Fans
Staff
Influences
Journalist
players.

If the SEC media see us as the third best WCBB team in the SEC, I hate to see where the national journalists rank us.

A very important season is ahead of us.

Last edited:
There's no justification yet for anything higher than 3. SC won last year, returns the CPOY, and brings in a strong recruiting class plus two All-ACC transfers. Miss State beat Tennessee twice last year and returns their top 6 players. Tennessee loses 2 starters and their best reserve

Maybe Tennessee ends up finishing higher than 3, but pollsters aren't going to place them high just because. They will probably be between 18-25 and have to work their way up.

Reactions: 1 person
We finished tied for 5th last season in the conference. We were seeded 7th in the SEC Tournament.

We were seeded 7th in the NCAA Tournament.

We lost to Florida (and to Virginia Tech) on our home floor.

We lost to Miss. St. for the first time-- and then again. (We have a losing streak against Miss. St.!)

We lost to Alabama and LSU back-to-back in February.

With a roster full of former H.S. All-Americans, we lost 14 times!

To pick us third, the media is bragging on our history. It is honoring our former mystique.

This team has its work cut out for it.

Reactions: 4 people
To pick us third, the media is bragging on our history. It is honoring our former mystique.

This team has its work cut out for it.

I think it's more about what the other teams lost. If Kentucky didn't have their transfer exodus, I'm sure they would have been third.

Texas AM lost 3 backcourt starters, Missouri lost their best all around player, and none of the other teams were really competitive.

I think #3 is a fair ranking, given the teams selected higher and those underneath. Anything higher than #3 would be honoring the name instead of the team.

Reactions: 2 people
Did we REALLY lose twice to Miss. State last year? I must have blocked it out. I think we had about 20 years when they didn't come within 20 points of us. Oh, my. I think our coaches /staff can do a better job of evaluating prospects. We should of course pursue any and all Top 25 prospects whom we think can make the transition to major-college BB--a lot of them don't. The coaches should also cast a wider net--which means putting in more work/time talking to coaches around the country and looking at tape. There are a TON of good players every year who are not on a Top 50 recruiting list; every team has a couple. We need to find a few ourselves.

Did we REALLY lose twice to Miss. State last year? I must have blocked it out. I think we had about 20 years when they didn't come within 20 points of us. Oh, my. I think our coaches /staff can do a better job of evaluating prospects. We should of course pursue any and all Top 25 prospects whom we think can make the transition to major-college BB--a lot of them don't. The coaches should also cast a wider net--which means putting in more work/time talking to coaches around the country and looking at tape. There are a TON of good players every year who are not on a Top 50 recruiting list; every team has a couple. We need to find a few ourselves.

Players are only one "element" of success.
It isn't ALL on the players.

Reactions: 3 people
I personally think Miss State will threaten South Carolina for the SEC title. I do think we'll finish 3rd but I could also seeing us go down to 4th behind Florida instead of Kentucky.

I think we will be really better than last year. I think we end up as second. in the sec. I think we are going to show a lot of ppl last year was a fluke/ crossing fingers

I personally think Miss State will threaten South Carolina for the SEC title. I do think we'll finish 3rd but I could also seeing us go down to 4th behind Florida instead of Kentucky.

I don't think Miss state has enough offensive weapons to beat SC. The SEC tournament title i think Victoria V. put up around 30 but she has NO help. they do have a great defense though. IMO SC is the most talented Starting 5 as a whole (not individually) but their bench is inexperienced. We shall see...

I don't think Miss state has enough offensive weapons to beat SC. The SEC tournament title i think Victoria V. put up around 30 but she has NO help. they do have a great defense though. IMO SC is the most talented Starting 5 as a whole (not individually) but their bench is inexperienced. We shall see...

SC can get away with an inexperienced bench because 4 of the 5 starters are All-SEC caliber players. The only question mark is Cuevas, and they have two highly regarded freshmen PGs to challenge her and provide capable backup.

Miss State doesn't have consistent secondary scorers to surround Vivians, but it seems there is always a different person stepping up to fill that role when then need to. I think McCowan has the potential to be a big force for them this year. She played well in stretches, and was one of the few shining moments of the UConn blowout.

I think SC will be top 3 nationally, and MS could sneak into the latter part of the top 10. For sure, these two teams will be the standard bearers going into the season.

Tennessee will be much better then last year, they will be much closer team, and DD will be the leader like she should, MR is much stronger this year also.

I think it is going to be really interesting watching SC play. Who takes the last shot? Who is the leader? The past couple of years everyone knew SC's post were dominant but when they needed a bucket tiffany mitchell stepped up. I think they will struggle like the UT did last year. Although i don't think they will lose 14 games, maybe 3.

SC can get away with an inexperienced bench because 4 of the 5 starters are All-SEC caliber players. The only question mark is Cuevas, and they have two highly regarded freshmen PGs to challenge her and provide capable backup.

Miss State doesn't have consistent secondary scorers to surround Vivians, but it seems there is always a different person stepping up to fill that role when then need to. I think McCowan has the potential to be a big force for them this year. She played well in stretches, and was one of the few shining moments of the UConn blowout.

I think SC will be top 3 nationally, and MS could sneak into the latter part of the top 10. For sure, these two teams will be the standard bearers going into the season.

I agree with you and If McCowan blossoms and becomes a dominant force I will always feel like she's the one we let get away. We sat waiting to secure Brown, McCoy, and Mompremeir and McCowan was sitting in our laps and for whatever reason (I believe they were saying her grades) we decided not to truly pursue her. She originally chose Cincy but somehow got out of that verbal and landed at Miss State. I used to fantasize about what the team would be like with the 6'6" Russell being replaced by the 6'7" McCowan! Oh well moving along!

I think it is going to be really interesting watching SC play. Who takes the last shot? Who is the leader? The past couple of years everyone knew SC's post were dominant but when they needed a bucket tiffany mitchell stepped up. I think they will struggle like the UT did last year. Although i don't think they will lose 14 games, maybe 3.

SC will be in a good position because they have 4 players that are good enough AND consistent enough to make that last shot. Teams can't sag in on the posts because Davis and Gray can burn them from outside. Those two elevate their perimeter play in ways that they will be able to manage not having Mitchell's clutch play this season.

I see them runnkng the offwnse through the post, but Davis and Gray will have tons of scorjng opportunities.

Roles will be different for KD and Gray they are not going to have the same role at SC , but they are scores and gray and shoot the three so you won't be able to sag down as muc h

On SEC Media Day, Dawn Staley said that she told KD her role on this team is to be the defensive stopper.

VN Store

Back