Nunn came to basketball at own pace

I think so too coach! She'll be what we've been missing as far as attitude and dominance since Glory at the 4 spot!

You can see it in her face.
The kind I like to coach.
Intense.

I am still looking for the player who can match my intensity.

How many years of eligibility does she have--Fleser doesn't say. Does she have any offensive game--that's my question. We need some scoring.

How many years of eligibility does she have--Fleser doesn't say. Does she have any offensive game--that's my question. We need some scoring.

1 year of eligibility. She's like the VA transfer that played for South Carolina last year.

What little love Bashaara Graves gets on this board :banghead2:

I love the Beast but I think she left a lot on the floor and was a little too nice/passive! I wanted the beast to say give me the "damn" ball! Everybody should've known it was her team and we didn't! She never (imo) put the team on her shoulders and demanded more from her teammates it seemed as though she was complacent with where they were, I hadn't seen that consistent nastines/beast mentality since her freshman year, if we saw that beast against Syracuse and throughout the tournament we make it to the championship game

Reactions: 1 person
I love the Beast but I think she left a lot on the floor and was a little too nice/passive! I wanted the beast to say give me the "damn" ball! Everybody should've known it was her team and we didn't! She never (imo) put the team on her shoulders and demanded more from her teammates it seemed as though she was complacent with where they were, I hadn't seen that consistent nastines/beast mentality since her freshman year, if we saw that beast against Syracuse and throughout the tournament we make it to the championship game

Dat part! Was she ever All SEC again?

Anuta player ranked #4... hmmmm

Bashaara has been one of the few players who gave consistent effort AND results in the past 4 years. She was undersized, but still went to war in the paint against girls that were bigger and stronger than her.

Bashaara was never the problem. When she did get the ball, she made things happen. The problem was the JV Tennessee guards who can't make anything other than a basic entry pass and can't shoot the ball to penalize teams from doubling the post. If Bashaara was on a team with guards that were even just competent, then she would have had better numbers for getting more touches and having more freedom in the paint because Tennessee only had 3 players on the court who could consistently hurt teams offensively.

Reactions: 3 people
Bashaara has been one of the few players who gave consistent effort AND results in the past 4 years. She was undersized, but still went to war in the paint against girls that were bigger and stronger than her.

Bashaara was never the problem. When she did get the ball, she made things happen. The problem was the JV Tennessee guards who can't make anything other than a basic entry pass and can't shoot the ball to penalize teams from doubling the post. If Bashaara was on a team with guards that were even just competent, then she would have had better numbers for getting more touches and having more freedom in the paint because Tennessee only had 3 players on the court who could consistently hurt teams offensively.

I give you that, I wanted her to be a little more vocal and I dont think she was if they werent giving her touches it seemed like she was okay with it instead of demanding they give her the damn ball and imo she was better on the block than Russell the past 2 years they played together so maybe she should've requested that Russell play more at the high post and let her (Graves) do work on the block! I love Graves and she will always be one of my favorite UT players but I wanted more for her/her game!

I give you that, I wanted her to be a little more vocal...

The only vocal leader we've had since Anosike/Parker/Bobbitt has been Burdick as a JR/SR. We need someone to fill that role every year. This should be Reynold's year to push the team.

Nunn is so intriguing to me because she hasn't played a collegiate game in like 18 months. I was hoping the video coordinator would put up some videos of them in practice. For whatever reason i feel like she would be the type to really push Russell to get better just by giving her some competition in practice.

I give you that, I wanted her to be a little more vocal and I dont think she was if they werent giving her touches it seemed like she was okay with it instead of demanding they give her the damn ball and imo she was better on the block than Russell the past 2 years they played together so maybe she should've requested that Russell play more at the high post and let her (Graves) do work on the block! I love Graves and she will always be one of my favorite UT players but I wanted more for her/her game!

Graves was one of those players who neva got in the gym but its kewl, she hasn't been the only one, I am glad she is gone tho. She wasn't a good leader. She had a decent career but she wasn't all that. She never set the tone of how hard you had to work to be a Lady Vol, as an upperclassmen.

Nunn, love her frame, and the team is excited she's was on their squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Nunn is so intriguing to me because she hasn't played a collegiate game in like 18 months. I was hoping the video coordinator would put up some videos of them in practice. For whatever reason i feel like she would be the type to really push Russell to get better just by giving her some competition in practice.

Graves could attack well from the elbow, but not from other directions.. We need someone who can attack from any point and any angle..within the arc, in one dribble. . . I think Nunn can fill this.

Vol Nation, stop bashing Graves, she was an undersized post player who never developed a consistent mid range, face up game, to her arsenal!!! That's falls on the coaching staff. They should have been working with her non stop, on improving her mid range game, and making her, a complete player, thats why she was released by Minnesota. Graves gave all she had (toughness) everytime on the court, her overall game, just wasn't good enough, to lead us to a NC title. Whomever is coaching the bigs (Lockwood) must do a much better job in developing, there skill set around the basket, with contact (to many missed layups) and on the perimeter (face up-game) or he needs to be let go!!! Russell, is to damn soft in the paint period, come up with some more drills and techniques to make these girls stronger and better!! You must developed the talent in front of you. You cant teach, height or toughness, everything else falls on the entire, coaching staff!! Thats the standards of becoming a great coach, by developing and working on your players weaknesses and strengths, over and over, until you and the players, notice a positive difference, in their games!!

Vol Nation, stop bashing Graves, she was an undersized post player who never developed a consistent mid range, face up game, to her arsenal!!! That's falls on the coaching staff. They should have been working with her non stop, on improving her mid range game, and making her, a complete player, thats why she was released by Minnesota. Graves gave all she had (toughness) everytime on the court, her overall game, just wasn't good enough, to lead us to a NC title. Whomever is coaching the bigs (Lockwood) must do a much better job in developing, there skill set around the basket, with contact (to many missed layups) and on the perimeter (face up-game) or he needs to be let go!!! Russell, is to damn soft in the paint period, come up with some more drills and techniques to make these girls stronger and better!! You must developed the talent in front of you. You cant teach, height or toughness, everything else falls on the entire, coaching staff!! Thats the standards of becoming a great coach, by developing and working on your players weaknesses and strengths, over and over, until you and the players, notice a positive difference, in their games!!

I don't bash Basha, I applaud her.
And
Well said in its entirety. I fully back your assertion that she did not reach her potential, nor has Russell, nor has anyone not named Izzy, in the last four years.

We got a beast in the making here with Shaqui...This trend needs to be changed.

Yawns.

Go Nunn!

For all of you who are showering Schaquila before she's played a single game in orange...have any of you seen her play in games? She was 2nd Team All Conference for South Conference, which wasn't exactly a powerhouse.

Her size and rebounding potential is something that will help the team, but are people seriously thinking she's an upgrade from Bashaara Graves? :confused:

At least let the girl play a game before she's crowned as the 3rd NPOY candidate on this LV roster.

Graves was one of those players who neva got in the gym but its kewl, she hasn't been the only one, I am glad she is gone tho. She wasn't a good leader. She had a decent career but she wasn't all that. She never set the tone of how hard you had to work to be a Lady Vol, as an upperclassmen.

Nunn, love her frame, and the team is excited she's was on their squad.

How do you know graves never got in the gym?

For all of you who are showering Schaquila before she's played a single game in orange...have any of you seen her play in games? She was 2nd Team All Conference for South Conference, which wasn't exactly a powerhouse.

Her size and rebounding potential is something that will help the team, but are people seriously thinking she's an upgrade from Bashaara Graves? :confused:

At least let the girl play a game before she's crowned as the 3rd NPOY candidate on this LV roster.

That's why I said she is so intriguing... she could be great or a disaster... by the time she takes the court assuming she gets playing time starting November she will not have played a collegiate game in 21 months... that's a real long time. There is no way to know what she is capable of giving especially in the uber physical SEC. I just really wish I could watch them practice... would tell me all I needed to know.

Exciting times are ahead that is for sure. I can't wait to see what happens. Also, does anyone know the nature of her previous injury a broken foot or something right?

That's why I said she is so intriguing... she could be great or a disaster... by the time she takes the court assuming she gets playing time starting November she will not have played a collegiate game in 21 months... that's a real long time. There is no way to know what she is capable of giving especially in the uber physical SEC. I just really wish I could watch them practice... would tell me all I needed to know.

Exciting times are ahead that is for sure. I can't wait to see what happens. Also, does anyone know the nature of her previous injury a broken foot or something right?

Not to downplay our opponents (we all remember last year's game against Virginia Tech) but I like that the first 6 or so games provide the team an opportunity to ease into the season against slightly weaker competition - should be a good chance to ease Nunn back in, get Harris some quality minutes, and see how Dunbar, Jackson, and Middleton fit with the presumed starts (Russell, Nared, DeShields, Reynolds).

Not to downplay our opponents (we all remember last year's game against Virginia Tech) but I like that the first 6 or so games provide the team an opportunity to ease into the season against slightly weaker competition - should be a good chance to ease Nunn back in, get Harris some quality minutes, and see how Dunbar, Jackson, and Middleton fit with the presumed starts (Russell, Nared, DeShields, Reynolds).

The first 6 games last year opponent wise look fairly similar to the first 6 this year. Unfortunately for Tennessee their inconsistent play started game 3 of the season and never let up. Between 11/29 & 3/27 they didn't win 4 games in a row.

That is what I think really frustrated fans. As soon as it seems they had turned the corner they would have a puzzling loss like they (coaching staff & players) weren't learning from their mistakes. During tourney time someone asked me if I was impressed they even made it to the E8 and my response was no. You only have to have your sh*t together for 3 games to do that and for teams with the recruits TN has the first 2 games are a gimme.

It would have been a statistical anomaly for that team last year to have made it to the FF. I would think they don't want to have 14 losses this year and are working hard on offense, defense, mindset, communication, and getting back to fundamentals.

The first month of the season is usually ugly for pretty much everyone but crucial for your opponents in December so like you said hopefully everyone gets work in during those November games and feel comfortable in their roles whatever they may be by the time they have to play Baylor.

VN Store

Back