Lady Vols Hoop REport 10/4

Me too!!! I got excited from Holly's press conference and then super excited from the practice video!!! I thought of you and wondered if you had seen it yet. 😄

:) Yes. Lady Vols Fan.

Lady Vols 2016-2017. A Different Team! Woooohoooo

There's a feel about this team...

Stay healthy Ladies...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
:popcorn::popcorn:.......................:blink:..........................................:hmm:................................................................:boredom:.............................................................:popcorn:

:) Yes. Lady Vols Fan.

Lady Vols 2016-2017. A Different Team! Woooohoooo

There's a feel about this team...

Stay healthy Ladies...

Yes, Lady Vols fan, different year, different team!

And so many home games on Sunday!!! I am so excited!!!

I have a feeling this will be a good year. Mercedes look good and so do diamond and Jordan . It seem different

Reactions: 1 person
Every season I get excited with anticipation to what I always believed will be a winning season and advancing to the Final Four.

Not anymore. I'm taking the wait and see approach. One game at a time.

Go Lady Vols and best of luck for the upcoming season!:)

Last edited:
Every season I get excited with anticipation to what I always believed will be a winning season and advancing to the Final Four.

Not anymore. I'm taking the wait and see approach. One game at a time.

Go Lady Vols and best of luck for the upcoming season!:)

I'm with you T.J. on the wait and see approach but from what I saw in the video the team seems to really like one another and you can tell they want to be successful together! I also think with the possibility of 2 of our players (if they play up to their potential) being Top 5 picks in a weak draft (Diamond could easily go 1st and Mercedes size at 6'6" should she average about 15 and 10 with about 2 blocks a game could make her intriguing to a team like Dallas or even LA who have the 3rd and 4th picks). I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think this year has the potential to be very special.

I'm with you T.J. on the wait and see approach but from what I saw in the video the team seems to really like one another and you can tell they want to be successful together! I also think with the possibility of 2 of our players (if they play up to their potential) being Top 5 picks in a weak draft (Diamond could easily go 1st and Mercedes size at 6'6" should she average about 15 and 10 with about 2 blocks a game could make her intriguing to a team like Dallas or even LA who have the 3rd and 4th picks). I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think this year has the potential to be very special.

I'm another one on the "wait and see" train. I don't think much will be defined during the early cupcake part of the schedule. They will be 6-0 when Baylor comes into town, and that will be the chance to really see what they can do.

LA only has the 4th pick. San Antonio, Washington and Dallas will pick ahead of them. I was really hoping that LA would somehow get the #1 pick, because I think that Diamond would have been a very attractive option. With San Antonio at #1, I think they will look for a post...probably Alaina Coates.

I'm another one on the "wait and see" train. I don't think much will be defined during the early cupcake part of the schedule. They will be 6-0 when Baylor comes into town, and that will be the chance to really see what they can do.

LA only has the 4th pick. San Antonio, Washington and Dallas will pick ahead of them. I was really hoping that LA would somehow get the #1 pick, because I think that Diamond would have been a very attractive option. With San Antonio at #1, I think they will look for a post...probably Alaina Coates.

I was saying Dallas (3rd) and LA (4th) had the picks after the 1st two (San Antonio) and (Washington) and If I am San Antonio I trade an unproven pick at the next level for a proven and see if I can swap picks with LA. I would trade the 1st Pick, Danielle Robinson (who is no longer needed now that Moriah Jefferson is there) and Monique Currie to LA for the 3rd Pick, Jantel Lavender, Essence Carson and their 1st rounder in 2018.

Diamond would more than likely come out if LA gets the first pick which helps San Antonio because they will have the proven Vet in Lavender who would start for them at the 5 spot and a person who could light it up (should she come out) in Kaela Davis who they could take with the 3rd selection. A lineup of;

PG-Jefferson
SG-McBride
SF-Davis
PF-Hambry (who should be back after delivering her baby)
C-Lavender

is a very good Lineup for Ruth Riley starting her first year as a GM. She could also use her second round pick (13 overall) to try and get a veteran Post player at the 4 spot from other teams (I think Candace Dupree, Plenette Pierson, Kia Vaughn, are a few possibilities)

I was saying Dallas (3rd) and LA (4th) had the picks after the 1st two (San Antonio) and (Washington) and If I am San Antonio I trade an unproven pick at the next level for a proven and see if I can swap picks with LA. I would trade the 1st Pick, Danielle Robinson (who is no longer needed now that Moriah Jefferson is there) and Monique Currie to LA for the 3rd Pick, Jantel Lavender, Essence Carson and their 1st rounder in 2018.

Diamond would more than likely come out if LA gets the first pick which helps San Antonio because they will have the proven Vet in Lavender who would start for them at the 5 spot and a person who could light it up (should she come out) in Kaela Davis who they could take with the 3rd selection. A lineup of;

PG-Jefferson
SG-McBride
SF-Davis
PF-Hambry (who should be back after delivering her baby)
C-Lavender

is a very good Lineup for Ruth Riley starting her first year as a GM. She could also use her second round pick (13 overall) to try and get a veteran Post player at the 4 spot from other teams (I think Candace Dupree, Plenette Pierson, Kia Vaughn, are a few possibilities)

That's a bad deal for LA, because then they have no experienced post backup. Lavender is a 20 min/game player and Carson is still close to her physical prime; Currie is not.

Diamond will be a good WNBA player, but I don't think she will be the Insta-Star in her first year that makes it worthwhile to give up a starter and you're best player off the bench. If somehow she ends up in LA, she's better backing up Carson, then slowly getting her minutes over the course of the latter half of her first season/into the 2nd season.

JMO but Mercedes will need to find some much needed toughness if she hopes to play professional ball.Right now she doesn't have the toughness to compete well in SEC.

Reactions: 3 people
JMO but Mercedes will need to find some much needed toughness if she hopes to play professional ball.Right now she doesn't have the toughness to compete well in SEC.

I see that as well, I am hoping Nunn pushes her sometimes seeing others do it brings it out of you. Graves was good but she didn't truly play with a nastieness that I think Nunn and Green plays with. I think competing with those 2 in practice will (hopefully) bring it out of her.

That's a bad deal for LA, because then they have no experienced post backup. Lavender is a 20 min/game player and Carson is still close to her physical prime; Currie is not.

Diamond will be a good WNBA player, but I don't think she will be the Insta-Star in her first year that makes it worthwhile to give up a starter and you're best player off the bench. If somehow she ends up in LA, she's better backing up Carson, then slowly getting her minutes over the course of the latter half of her first season/into the 2nd season.

There is a lot of Post Depth available around the league that are sitting on teams rosters

1. Phoenix has Bone, Dupree, Mistie Bass or Harrison
2. Washington has Kia Vaughn (and they recently released Tiana Hawkins)
3. Dallas has Pierson (and the rights to Cambage who really wants to play in LA and her refusal to come over could have them practically give her away)
4. Indy has Peters, Kizer or Ochonwa
5. Liberty has Swords
6. Sky has de Souza
7. The Storm has Langhorne

There are several Post backup options that you can use to replace Lavender and would probably be able to get some for a 2nd or even a 3rd round selection or free agency

That would be the dumbiest move to replace lavender , She is the 6th woman of the year, she average 9.5 points in 20 mins , are you serious please .

That would be the dumbiest move to replace lavender , She is the 6th woman of the year, she average 9.5 points in 20 mins , are you serious please .

It's not about replacing her but she's in a spot where you wont be able to afford to keep all 4 (Tolliver, Parker, Nneka, and Lavender) She will be restricted this year meaning she can sign with LA but someone can offer her a deal and LA would have to match it. Minny will have the same issue with Brunson as they can't keep everybody so why not get something for her instead of losing her for nothing. They would still be competitive if they could replace her with the rights of the 6'8" Cambage for a little of nothing (and trust me Cambage comes back to the WNBA if she is traded to the Sparks, that's her childhood team)

Really enjoy this quote: "There's a feel right now with this basketball team, and I can't explain it. I think last year at times, everybody felt a little bit of disconnect. You don't feel a disconnect with this team, and that's a great thing. That starts with great leadership and people buying into the system. I think right now they are doing just that."

Reactions: 4 people
You can get rid of Carson and and The spain, player lavender is too good to let go for me and mInnesota is doing just fine with maya, whalen, seimone augustus , and sylvia fowles

Last edited:
Back to the practice report. I think my favorite quote from Holly:
"I think people are going to zone us more" - umm yep
"I think our preparation as coach's, and me in particular, is got to get them more comfortable in our zone offense..." - gotta practice offense Holly to be successful this year!
This season's motto will be. She can talk the talk, but can she walk the walk.

Back to the practice report. I think my favorite quote from Holly:
"I think people are going to zone us more" - umm yep
"I think our preparation as coach's, and me in particular, is got to get them more comfortable in our zone offense..." - gotta practice offense Holly to be successful this year!
This season's motto will be. She can talk the talk, but can she walk the walk.

I was so pleased to hear that... i remember last year we were a few games into the season and she said we had not worked on offense that much. Great seeing them getting up and down the court creating a new team chemistry.

I am happy that she knows that what they will see. The first day from the clip it look like they were working against an zone. I also like that she acknowledge the they are not great three point shooters, but I do think we need to hit 4 or 5 threes a game to open a zone . Or from 17-18 feet on a regular basis to be able to stretch the defense as well. the shot Cierra Burdick hit all the time.

VN Store

Back