Top 10 or 25 Record 2016-17

Pat4life

What record would like to see the Lady Vols have going against our occ schedule heavy weights, which should help make an impression on recruits and send a message that the Lady Vols, are Championship ready:

Baylor (Win)
Texas (win/Lose)
Stanford (Win)
Notre Dame (win)

3-1 (wins against Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford would be good for the psyche).

Which team you feel we match up well against?

Baylor, (Frontcourt) Jones scary, post about a year away.
Texas, (Backcourt) Ariel Atkins, Higgins,
Stanford (McCall only player that worries me)
Notre Dame (Turner, otherwise, I think we matchup well)

Your thoughts?

What record would like to see the Lady Vols have going against our occ schedule heavy weights, which should help make an impression on recruits and send a message that the Lady Vols, are Championship ready:

Baylor (Win)
Texas (win/Lose)
Stanford (Win)
Notre Dame (win)

Your thoughts?
Honestly, Tennessee would do well to go 2-2 against those 4 teams. Do you really think 3-1 (or 3.5 to 0.5, as your picks suggest) is being at all realistic? That is a very tough OOC slate.

Reactions: 1 person
I would not expect Stanford to be competitive this year. They have lost too much. It should be a rebuilding year for them.

I think our backcourt will be exposed often this year. We just don't have the options to turn to when our perimeter players start making boneheaded plays or get into foul trouble. If last year is an indicator, we seem to make everybody look good.

Don't forget, we have to travel to Virginia Tech this year.

Last edited:
I will not get my hopes up this year especially with Te'a Cooper out for the season. Our bench will be very weak. I hope we press and play a lot of zone this season because our starters will have to log a lot of minutes. Hopefully the pressure can give us some easy baskets. An Elite 8 appearance this season will be a major accomplishment. Our guard play has been our weakness for years which allows teams to constantly zone us. Hopefully we can snag another Elite guard and wing this recruiting class because we were surely need them next season. I doubt DeShields return as she's been projected as #1 pick in the WNBA draft and more than likely make 6 figure salary overseas. My expectations have dipped a little with the lost of Cooper. Hopefully some how we have a magical season and we are the team doing the upsetting.

I will not get my hopes up this year especially with Te'a Cooper out for the season. Our bench will be very weak. I hope we press and play a lot of zone this season because our starters will have to log a lot of minutes. Hopefully the pressure can give us some easy baskets. An Elite 8 appearance this season will be a major accomplishment. Our guard play has been our weakness for years which allows teams to constantly zone us. Hopefully we can snag another Elite guard and wing this recruiting class because we were surely need them next season. I doubt DeShields return as she's been projected as #1 pick in the WNBA draft and more than likely make 6 figure salary overseas. My expectations have dipped a little with the lost of Cooper. Hopefully some how we have a magical season and we are the team doing the upsetting.
I understand that pressing can lead to easy baskets, but it also takes a lot of energy and can lead to more fouls, so it would seem to be a questionable strategy when a team lacks depth and the starters will be counted on to log heavy minutes. It IS a good strategy when you need more points and have have lots of interchangeable parts (like Kentucky of the past few years. (Of course Kentucky won't be using that strategy this year,due to their complete lack of depth).

I understand that pressing can lead to easy baskets, but it also takes a lot of energy and can lead to more fouls, so it would seem to be a questionable strategy when a team lacks depth and the starters will be counted on to log heavy minutes. It IS a good strategy when you need more points and have have lots of interchangeable parts (like Kentucky of the past few years. (Of course Kentucky won't be using that strategy this year,due to their complete lack of depth).

I'm referring to a zone press similar to the style of basketball Syracuse displayed last season. They rotated about 8 or 9 players. I don't think man defense will be our best option this season with a very short bench.

I think our backcourt will be exposed often this year. We just don't have the options to turn to when our perimeter players start making boneheaded plays or get into foul trouble. If last year is an indicator, we seem to make everybody look good.

Frontcourt will be exposed, too. Only Mercedes is a known quantity, and she's not that good. She will get torn up by Baylor's ultra-deep frontcourt. Nunn will need to be a major contributor from the get go, and Holly has no choice but to give Kamera Harris heavy minutes. Otherwise, Mercedes/Schaquilla will be worn down by the mid-point of the season.

Mercedes and Diamond are by far the most important players on the team, and the Lady Vols are pretty much sunk if anything happens to either of them.

Against those 4 teams, Tennessee only matches up well against Stanford. Notre Dame has much better guard play plus Turner inside. They don't have much support for Turner inside, but she's much better than Russell, who also doesn't have backup support. Baylor also has better guards, and has the three headed post monster. Texas is all around strong inside and outside.

I fully expect Tennessee to go 1-3. Notre Dame, Baylor and Texas will all win comfortably, and Tennessee should beat Stanford handily. I'm not sure that they have much of a shot at beating those other teams, especially early on in the season.

Last edited:
Can Russell be more of an offensive force in the paint? She has to be. Will DD play a lot better this year than last? She has to? Can Nared be a dependable scorer? She needs to be. We have issues at guard, we will probably have shooting problems generally and with three-point shooting, and we have no depth. We have nobody in our starting lineup who is a dependably good outside threat--nobody. That spells trouble. DD's game is driving to the basket and the mid-range jumper. The guard and outside shooting situation could make this another rough year.

Can Russell be more of an offensive force in the paint? She has to be. Will DD play a lot better this year than last? She has to? Can Nared be a dependable scorer? She needs to be. We have issues at guard, we will probably have shooting problems generally and with three-point shooting, and we have no depth. We have nobody in our starting lineup who is a dependably good outside threat--nobody. That spells trouble. DD's game is driving to the basket and the mid-range jumper. The guard and outside shooting situation could make this another rough year.

We'll get those answers soon enough.
Tomorrow is the first official day of practices.
Cover22.jpg

Last edited:
I would not expect Stanford to be competitive this year. They have lost too much. It should be a rebuilding year for them.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Stanford, but McCall can carry them if she plays like they did, the end of last year.

We beat Stanford, that would be good for this team.

On paper we are better.

Honestly, Tennessee would do well to go 2-2 against those 4 teams. Do you really think 3-1 (or 3.5 to 0.5, as your picks suggest) is being at all realistic? That is a very tough OOC slate.

2-2 was my initial assessment,

Baylor lost their all everything point guard, so young guards but their ability to slide Jones to the 1 is nice, but their 2 and 3, not too impressed.

Notre Dame, a lot of unproven players, their point guard strong, but like Loree Moore, can disappear, Turner is solid.

Texas, give me pause because of their guards.

Stanford, Erica McCAll, don't don't have any other athletic players that scares me but team ball can be deadly.

So my expectations are higher, if we all want them to be that TEAM, we gotta win big games.

2-2 is elite 8, 3-1 sends a better message, 4-0...

Let's go Lady Vols...

Last edited:
Frontcourt will be exposed, too. Only Mercedes is a known quantity, and she's not that good. She will get torn up by Baylor's ultra-deep frontcourt. Nunn will need to be a major contributor from the get go, and Holly has no choice but to give Kamera Harris heavy minutes. Otherwise, Mercedes/Schaquilla will be worn down by the mid-point of the season.

Mercedes and Diamond are by far the most important players on the team, and the Lady Vols are pretty much sunk if anything happens to either of them.

Against those 4 teams, Tennessee only matches up well against Stanford. Notre Dame has much better guard play plus Turner inside. They don't have much support for Turner inside, but she's much better than Russell, who also doesn't have backup support. Baylor also has better guards, and has the three headed post monster. Texas is all around strong inside and outside.

I fully expect Tennessee to go 1-3. Notre Dame, Baylor and Texas will all win comfortably, and Tennessee should beat Stanford handily. I'm not sure that they have much of a shot at beating those other teams, especially early on in the season.

Mercedes will hold her own against that young front-court, especially since Mercedes team has a year of learning how to get her the ball in scoring position, check out her play the end of last year.

Jordan, Diamond, Nared, is a good backcourt... which should keep us in most games.

So you don't feel like none of our ladies will get better over the summer.

wow. GO Lady Vols. 3-1

And sometimes basketball is more than outside shooting, most of the time is about player movement and bball movement to get the best shot from the player you want taking it, and most of the time for our team, when we played good ball it wasn't a three point shot.

We were an efficient shooting team to close out last year.

Mercedes will hold her own against that young front-court, especially since Mercedes team has a year of learning how to get her the ball in scoring position, check out her play the end of last year.

Jordan, Diamond, Nared, is a good backcourt... which should keep us in most games.

So you don't feel like none of our ladies will get better over the summer.

wow. GO Lady Vols. 3-1

No more than you don't expect that the other players from other teams won't get better either.

You're also giving Mercedes way more credit. What has she done to warrant being favored against Nina Davis? She won't be able to defend her, and Kalani Brown or Beatrice Mompremier will be able to trouble her in the post. Sure, I'm sure Mercedes improved over the summer...as have Brown and Mompremier. Plus they have Lauren Cox.

IMO, this is not the year to expect much from the Lady Vols because of the graduations, injuries and recruiting bust. Next year, if they can continue to stock up on quality 2017 recruits and Mercedes/Diamond stick around for their redshirt sr. year, then they should be a Top 4 team and one of the NC favorites. But they will go into this season at a serious disadvantage with no post depth and poor guard play. They may surprise a team or two, but it's more likely to be someone like Miss State than one of the elite teams. That's the reality.

And what have Brown and Monpremier have done?

Yes, your reality, not mine! We each have our own!

Cedes 6' 6" vs Nina Davis 5'11, ok! Most likely she'll be matchup against Nared or starter at 4 spot.

I think other players will be better, but I think our players will get better in the lady Vols system and Lady Vols system has produce how many Elite 8s and F4s.

And in those games, we will have the best player on the court Diamond. Her's to an All American, National Player of Year, year Diamond.

WE have a Diamond and u don't! Stay healthy Ladies.

Last edited:

Cedes 6' 6" vs Nina Davis 5'11, ok! Most likely she'll be matchup against Nared or starter at 4 spot.

I think other players will be better, but I think our players will get better in the lady Vols system and Lady Vols system has produce how many Elite 8s and F4s.

And in those games, we will have the best player on the court Diamond. Her's to an All American, National Player of Year, year Diamond.

We will go 3-1, Tennessee will be much better this year then last, I have faith in them.

Reactions: 2 people
Mercedes Sophomore Year: ijs...

Averaged 9.9 points and led the team with 8.3 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game while shooting a team best 54.8 percent from the field.

Recorded 66 blocks in the 2015-16 season, tying Kelley Cain (2011-12) for eighth-most blocks in a single season by a Lady Vol.

Averaged 1.83 blocks per game, which is the tenth-best single-season mark.

Currently ranks sixth in career blocks per game with an average of 1.49 rejections per contest.

Scored in double figures 20 times and had efforts of 20 or more points against Central Arkansas (20 on 11/15) and Ohio State (25 on 3/25).

Led the team in rebounding 14 times and was the leading shot blocker 25 times, including the 11 occasions when she recorded three or more rejections.

Averaged a double-double with 13.0 points, 10.3 rebounds and 1.0 blocks while shooting 68.6 percent in NCAA Tournament play and was named to the NCAA Sioux Falls Regional All-Tournament Team.

Finished third all-time among UT sophomores with 11 double-doubles, trailing only Candace Parker (21) and Chamique Holdsclaw (16).

Tallied career highs with a double-double of 25 points and 15 rebounds on 12-of-16 shooting in 37 minutes vs. #9 Ohio State in the NCAA Sweet 16.

Recorded her first-ever double-double by posting 20 points and 13 rebounds on 10-of-16 shooting against Central Arkansas in the season opener.

Scored 15 points, pulled down 11 rebounds and added three assists and blocks vs. Arkansas on Feb. 4.

Notched a career-high 15 rebounds and added 14 points vs. Virginia Tech.

Tallied another double-double with a 14-point, 13-rebound, two-block effort against Penn State on Nov. 18.

Recorded her third double-double of the season with 13 points and 10 boards on 6-of-11 shooting vs. ETSU.

Tallied 13 points along with eight rebounds and four blocks against Syracuse on Nov. 20.

Recorded 12 points, six boards and a team-high three assists and two blocks vs. Arizona State in the NCAA Second Round.

Posted 12 points and 13 rebounds while also tying her career high with three assists against Alabama.

Recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds against Kentucky.

Scored 12 points and added two blocks in her return to her home state against #7/7 Oregon State.

Scored a team-high 12 points and had five blocks in the 63-55 victory over UAlbany, opening the season with five straight games in double figures.

Reactions: 2 people

If our ladies don't turn the ball over like last year. We will be in most games, we will win a lot of games. The ladies started to play cleaner, efficient basketball later in the year.

Baylor (Win)
Texas (win/Lose)
Stanford (Win)
Notre Dame (win)

Your thoughts?

Also, NCAA seeding will play a part in these matchups too.

Nina Davis has been a POY finalist the last 2 years, 2x All-American, and 3x All Big 12 First Team. Mercedes is yet to make an All SEC team. There is no comparison between them whatsoever at this point in their careers.

As for the 2 sophomore posts:

Kalani Brown:
9.3 pts, 4.3 rebounds, 60% FG in 14.4 mpg

Beatrice Mompremier:
7.2 pts 6.1 rebounds, 54% FG in 14.9 mpg

So both players were nearly as productive as Russell, while logging about 1/2 of the minutes.

The best player on the court will be Nina Davis, unless Diamond steps it up big time.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back