Katie Weimer, softball transfer from Buffalo

anyone know if she is a poet?

cuz then she'd be a weimer rhymer.

I'll just go... :(

Sophomore C/IF who was the AA Player of the Year in New York 2 years ago. Had a very good freshman year at Buffalo, batting .329 with 12 home runs and a .981 fielding %.
Katie Weimer - Buffalo

She's listed as a catcher/infielder and lord knows the fielding needs to improve but I can't see her supplanting any of the infielders with the exception of possibly first base. My guess is she'll be a backup catcher/first baseman with time at DP if she can hit SEC pitching.

I liked this from the Buffalo article: "favorite athletes are...Madison Shipman, Raven Chavanne, and Lauren Gibson"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
She's listed as a catcher/infielder and lord knows the fielding needs to improve but I can't see her supplanting any of the infielders with the exception of possibly first base. My guess is she'll be a backup catcher and first baseman.

I liked this from the Buffalo article: "favorite athletes are...Madison Shipman, Raven Chavanne, and Lauren Gibson"

That's a pretty darn good list of favorite athletes

Armchair, my guess is what we have here is yet another member who thinks every post should be about football and tosses out an insult when he finds out otherwise.

You post something on soccer and there's always a couple of goobers who post something un-funny.

This kid was the player of the year in New York as HS senior, and one publication named her MAC conference freshman of the year last year. She put up some good hitting numbers--and she is a righty bat. We need better right-hand-side hitting--it was a problem last year--and Weimer offers additional potential from that side of the plate. We had 1 dependable right-handed hitter last year; need more than that this year.

Reactions: 1 person
It might be good news, but it seems we keep reeling in jaw-dropping recruiting classes yet still find ourselves reaching into Juco's and small colleges for help...Will the cycle ever end?

I think she is a very solid pickup...
Much needed power from the right side.
Looking forward to watching her and the excellent freshman class during the "fall ball" games beginning this Fri.....lots of new talent ...

It's a small freshman class this year, at least in terms of the top-tier recruits, probably because we have a fairly young team.

The Weeklys have had to scramble a bit for pitching because, as strong as they are at recruiting, they somehow forgot to recruit pitchers in both 2014 and 2015! What they were thinking, I have no idea--but in 2015 we were pitching Gaffin, who was mainly an outfielder who thankfully turned out to be a wonderful sport pitcher, and Tarrango, whose career did not pan out at first or pitcher, and Gabriel. They brought in Aucoin from JC, and she didn't pan out as a pitcher (but did reasonably well at first). I'm not sure I even saw her pitch. Last year they brought in two top pitching prospects but one of them, Bush, was not ready for prime time. Your going to have holes occasionally because everybody is taking commitments from kids in the 8th/9th grade and some of them are simply do not pan out. You can over-recruit, and that happens, but then you risk transferring. It's tough to manage.

I think with Weimer the coaches are wisely trying to shore up right-side hitting. Lockman, a big-time right-handed prospect, did a fine job catching last year but really struggled at the plate--hitting under 200. You have to have more than one good right-hand bat (Geer). And two of the best freshman prospects are left-handed hitters. We should be hard on right-handed pitchers but got beat by a left-hander from Arizona.

Reactions: 4 people
Your going to have holes occasionally because everybody is taking commitments from kids in the 8th/9th grade and some of them are simply do not pan out. You can over-recruit, and that happens, but then you risk transferring. It's tough to manage.

Thanks for the great insight armchair.

UT competes with all of the other great softball powers for those elite pitchers. They are fewer, it seems, than great quarterbacks coming out of HS.

Your going to have holes occasionally because everybody is taking commitments from kids in the 8th/9th grade and some of them are simply do not pan out. You can over-recruit, and that happens, but then you risk transferring. It's tough to manage[/I].

I apologize for the horrible grammar! It should be "You're...", of course, not "Your". And it should be "....you risk TRANSFERS." Terrible!

VN Store

Back