Fall softball

Saw this today. Never knew there was a fall league. Are these games heavily attended? Saw they were free. Didn't know how early I should arrive. Thanks

Saw this today. Never knew there was a fall league. Are these games heavily attended? Saw they were free. Didn't know how early I should arrive. Thanks

They aren't official games, just scrimmages against junior colleges and D2 schools. The stats don't count, no live scoring/streaming, no promotions if you go to the games. There are usually a few fans, but it's mostly just parents.

You need to attend so we can get your report on how the team looks, especially the pitching! 😀

Pitching again looks to be the real weakness of this team.Just hope that the two newcomers are better....SEC capable .....than anticipated.

I love the Weeklys but they've dropped the ball on pitching recruiting the last three years. Big-time. I don't think they signed anyone but Gabriel in a two-year period; Gabriel got hurt and that left us thin. They brought in Aucoin from Texas Tech and she didn't work out--control problems--and that meant Gaffin had to carry a heavy load---wasn't ideal. They signed two pitchers last year and one of them, Bush, apparently wasn't even close to SEC caliber. I assume she didn't have the velocity--if I'm wrong, holler--as it's hard to know what else it could be. If that was the case, one wonders if the coaches were monitoring her club performances the last year or two before she got here. If so, they should have detected issues and perhaps had a word with her and her family. Perhaps they did know, but because kids commit so early these days and there probably wouldn't have been any good pitchers available to take her spot, they gave her a shot. I never even saw her pitch. And so the Bush bust as left us once again in a tough spot with only one proven SEC pitcher, plus a 5'3" JC transfer and a freshman. The transfer seems tough-minded and competitive, which we like--but whether she or Arnold can perform is unknown and it certainly won't be easy for them. Fingers crossed as we look to have a strong lineup otherwise--but pitching is a big otherwise!

Reactions: 1 person
Does anybody have any results from the first fall softball game played last night against Pfeiffer University? The softball site has no information and neither does Twitter. But the first fall softball game was supposed to be played last night at 7 p.m. If anyone has any results or any information please post. Thanks.

From twitter re October 2nd's games (it was all I could find):

Fall ball update! Vols defeat Shorter, 9-3, in game one of today's doubleheader. Vol State up next in a few minutes.

Vols take both games of today's doubleheader to improve to 3-0 this fall!

I heard the coaches say recently that the JC pitcher has already seen how the strike zone is a little tighter in the SEC and that SEC hitters are more disciplined than those she's faced previously, meaning they don't swing at as many pitches outside of the strike zone. She's having to adjust. Fingers crossed, as we need her.

I realize it's exhibition, but the softball team played four games over the weekend and all I can find is this on twitter:

Thanks for everyone who came out today! We're back at it with two more games tomorrow at 12:30 and 3 p.m.! #GBO
2 days ago

Two more fall games today! We're in action at Lee Stadium at 12:30 & 3 p.m., admission is FREE! #GBO
2 days ago

It must be a secret how they performed.

I realize it's exhibition, but the softball team played four games over the weekend and all I can find is this on twitter:

Thanks for everyone who came out today! We're back at it with two more games tomorrow at 12:30 and 3 p.m.! #GBO
2 days ago

Two more fall games today! We're in action at Lee Stadium at 12:30 & 3 p.m., admission is FREE! #GBO
2 days ago

are busy covering fall sports--football, soccer, volleyball, tennis tournaments--plus start of BBall practice, so I doubt there is the sufficient staff to cover and write up a fall softball game. It would be nice if a fan went and watched and gave us a brief report, though the competition is so weak I'm not sure any observations would mean much.

2 days ago

2 days ago

Coaches typically don't want results and recaps put up since they're technically just practices. It's rare to see schools cover fall softball, just like it's rare to see them cover spring volleyball and soccer. Most of that is due to staffing, but it's also coaches not wanting to make a big deal out of games that feature lineups that will rarely, if ever, be seen in regular season games.

I checked the sites of our fellow SEC schools to see what they have done this fall. Alabama and Missouri posted results of most every game. Mississippi State and Auburn covered the opening weekend but nothing else, Kentucky covered the opening weekend and an alumni game. Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Texas A&M did the same thing Tennessee did, which is post the fall schedule and nothing else.

Reactions: 1 person
The softball team plays the final Fall game tonight at 6 PM against ETSU! Come on out to Lee Stadium, admission is FREE!

News Sentinel Sports Page | WNML-AF

11 o'clock hour. 7 minute mark.

Ralph Weekly talks about fall ball.

This audio archive refreshes daily so it's only good for the next 20 hours or so.

Thanks for the link! Ralph says the fall games were all wins so far, ETSU tonight. The team has 7 of 9 starters back and will be very good on offense, good on defense, and a question mark at pitching. #1 pitcher in the country due in next year.

Hitting and speed have to carry the team. McClain may get more playing time. Leach, McClain, and Vines may go 1-2-3 in the order.

Arnold pitches tonight, Jenna Holcomb in left and Vines at first.

Ralph acknowledges games were lost because of defense. Seggern will be at third, Gregg and Leach will stay where they are but look for Vines to go to first. Geer will go back to center. McClain in right. Holcombe or Geathers in left.

But pitching is a big question mark and Ralph made no bones about it.

Go Tennessee softball!

Vines at first? That's weird.

Vols aren't going to win anything if our pitching is weak--and we badly need Lockman and/or another a right-handed hitter to have a good year. Too many lefties in the lineup--that got us beat by a good lefty pitcher from Arizona last year.

Thanks for the link! Ralph says the fall games were all wins so far, ETSU tonight. The team has 7 of 9 starters back and will be very good on offense, good on defense, and a question mark at pitching. #1 pitcher in the country due in next year.

Hitting and speed have to carry the team. McClain may get more playing time. Leach, McClain, and Vines may go 1-2-3 in the order.

Arnold pitches tonight, Jenna Holcomb in left and Vines at first.

Ralph acknowledges games were lost because of defense. Seggern will be at third, Gregg and Leach will stay where they are but look for Vines to go to first. Geer will go back to center. McClain in right. Holcombe or Geathers in left.

But pitching is a big question mark and Ralph made no bones about it.

Go Tennessee softball!

I think putting Vines at first will not happen. That is a true waste of speed . May happen but in my opinion will not. Pitching is always the key and the weeklys again dropped the ball.

VN Store

Back