Great post that every recruit needs to read!

yes, that should be required reading for recruits.

I agree Gule! Should undoubtedly should be required reading with a test upon completion of the text to ensure that they understood what they read! I loved this article!

Good thing DD didn't read this.

I don't think that question can be answered yet. If she stays for this year and next and we have two seasons like the last...would we answer the question the same? And, we will never know the recruits that may have come here had she not!

obviously the story relates to all college sports where recruitment is accomplished at an intense level. And an earlier comment regarding believing in the importance of social media. For the teens of today the pictures they and others take via cellphones may be a greater reality in the decision-making that older folks like me appreciate. I note that more and more boarders are following social media to enhance their opinions on where a player might "lean,"
and of course some social scientist will get a grant to study the smiles and the posture of pictures of coaches with recruits to predict preferences. Trust me - that is where data mining is in many other preference realms.

The only thing I'll quibble with is this quote: "...it's hiiiiiiiighly likely you wouldn't be friends with half of your teammates"... my experience tells me the number is actually a little higher than that. The danger of cliques forming is real. And it takes a strong coach to keep that from tearing a team apart.

But she's correct when she says you don't have to be friends with your teammates, although I think females have more of an issue with this than guys do. Guys can play with each other even if they don't like each other, females sometimes are unable to do that. All from my own personal experience.

Reactions: 1 person
you ain't kidding, two wimmen in a room is one too many and three is ww3..

lol

married with 3 daughters

I think this is so true but I think the ones who need to take it to heart will not--they are used to being "so special."

It is worth reading her earlier blog post from August (linked on the page) which speaks about the HS recruiting process as well.

Definitely well worth a read by every scholarship athlete even those who are happy as can be at their school because it may help them understand a teammate who is struggling.

Kids want to play--especially if they feel they can play but aren't playing enough, for whatever reason. That's why many transfer. UT had a soccer player, Amy Neal, who was a two year starter but transferred this summer entering her SENIOR year. I think she was told her minutes would be going down and decided to leave. She's playing her senior year at Wa. State, where she is starting. That is tough--leaving to play your last year at another school. It's a mistake, I think--and, ironically, she'd probably be getting lots of minutes this season had she stayed. My bet is she felt aggrieved, unfairly treated, but I don't think it's wise to leave one year before graduation.

This was indeed a good read, however, parents need to pay attention to this as well. Prior to my retirement, I was an administrator of a small private high school that, since the mid 80's, has produced over 30 football D1 players, with at least 10 that played in the NFL. We were a hot bed for college recruitors. Many parents were just as bad as their kids and would bite off high hyped recruiting B.S. "Your child is just the player to start at position A", "Your kid has more talent then anyone we are recruiting", "With us your kid's aspirations to play pro ball can be realized at my school, etc." I tried to be real with student athletes and show them the overall percentage of high school football players that start, especially as freshmen, at the D1 level and the even smaller chance they have of playing in the NFL. Parents did not appreciate reality because they saw the truth as being pessimistic. Later many found out that I was correct. Kids really need a heavy dose of realism as well as their parents. Once the bubble burst it can be a rude awakening to both student and parents.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back