First Place on the Line for Sparks, Lynx ESPN2 Tonite

T.J.

"The top two teams in the WNBA have the same record: 24-5. Both have won their last three games in a row. Minnesota is outscoring its opponents by an average of 9.6 points per game, Los Angeles by 8.8. The Sparks average 21 assists per game, the Lynx 20. Both teams get 8.2 steals per game."

Los Angeles Sparks and Minnesota Lynx ready to meet for final time in WNBA regular season

I hope Candace doesn't disappoint tonight! Win or lose I am desperately wanting to see her just take over this game. It's not for the championship but it's for the best team of the WNBA season. Might become the start to something bigger?

GOCandace!
GOSparks!

Reactions: 3 people
Any one who watching the WNBA for the first time ever to see the two best teams play will walk away thinking that high school boys basketball is better. That was a pathetic display by the Sparks. Can't pass, can't make layups, can't make jump shots, can't make 3-pointers, can't make free throws, and can't defend for ish.

Thanks, Candace...for proving Geno right to leave you off the Olympics team. She has been half-assing it since they came back from the Olympic break. I hope she enjoyed her vacation. Maya Moore completely embarrassed her in the second half.

Just hand Minnesota the trophy already.

Any one who watching the WNBA for the first time ever to see the two best teams play will walk away thinking that high school boys basketball is better. That was a pathetic display by the Sparks. Can't pass, can't make layups, can't make jump shots, can't make 3-pointers, can't make free throws, and can't defend for ish.

Thanks, Candace...for proving Geno right to leave you off the Olympics team. She has been half-assing it since they came back from the Olympic break. I hope she enjoyed her vacation. Maya Moore completely embarrassed her in the second half.

Just hand Minnesota the trophy already.

I quit watching early in the 4th quarter. Nneka seemed like she was the only one came to play for the Sparks. I love Parker, but I was so frustrated with her this game. She settled for the jump shot repeatedly. Why not post up Moore in the paint? You are 6'4". And I have no idea what happened to Alana Beard, she seemed so much better offensively in college. But I agree Parker has to step it up or the Lynx will be WNBA Champions again.

Reactions: 2 people
I quit watching early in the 4th quarter. Nneka seemed like she was the only one came to play for the Sparks. I love Parker, but I was so frustrated with her this game. She settled for the jump shot repeatedly. Why not post up Moore in the paint? You are 6'4". And I have no idea what happened to Alana Beard, she seemed so much better offensively in college. But I agree Parker has to step it up or the Lynx will be WNBA Champions again.

LA should've have made a few trades, they have too many Post players and not enough perimeter players. Candace is always at her best when she has a Point Guard who can run the offense (they have one in Chelsea Gray but Gray isn't a starter and is rarely on the court with Candace) also playing Candace and Nnedka together isn't working as they both play the same position offensively (especially now that Nnedka can hit the outside shot). Candace also is more finesse and doesn't like to bang which Minny knows so she stays on the Perimeter instead of attacking because she is afraid she is going to get hit. LA if they are going to be successful/win a title will have to decide if they want to do it with Parker or Nnedka. Nnedka is not a Brian Agler Post player Parker is but management doesn't want to do away with Nnedka therefore they will struggle. They have to break them up this offseason imo.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sorry, but there is no way I trade Nneka. She is almost shooting 70%. Candace is just going to have to step it up. Quit settling for the perimeter shots and attack in the paint or from the free throw area. Even if she doesn't want to post up, she could have taken Moore off the dribble from the free throw area or shot over her in the paint. She settled last night. If I was to trade anyone, it would be Alana Beard. She plays solid defense, but on offense she's not much of a threat at all.

I agree. It's crazy to even think of trading Nneka. She is consistently the best player on the team.

Parker played soft on offense and defense the whole game. She repeatedly took jump shots that looked ugly as all hell as they were clanking off the rim and she didn't do much on defense. Her saving grace was that she "only" had 3 turnovers, but at least two of them came at very inopportune times.

I've always been a big fan of Candace's, but for a player of her talent to play that kind of game against Minnesota with 1st place in the league on the line...that is inexcusable. She is supposed to be a premier player, and she was nowhere to be found last night. Maya played poorly in the first half, but stepped it up when her team needed her to. That is what great players do.

Last night's loss is squarely on Parker's shoulders. That should be unacceptable for her.

In the games I have watched, Nneka has been the best player on the floor for LA and often the best player on the floor period. She would be the last player on the team to trade. A coach can build a franchise around a player like Nneka. She has the most talent on the team and always gives 100%.

I'm sorry, but there is no way I trade Nneka. She is almost shooting 70%. Candace is just going to have to step it up. Quit settling for the perimeter shots and attack in the paint or from the free throw area. Even if she doesn't want to post up, she could have taken Moore off the dribble from the free throw area or shot over her in the paint. She settled last night. If I was to trade anyone, it would be Alana Beard. She plays solid defense, but on offense she's not much of a threat at all.

I am not saying trade Nnedka, I think it is Nnedka's team, imo they need to trade Candace (although I hate to say it). She's has been there for over 6 years and hasn't gotten it done, now would be the time to try to get something out of her and see what you can do with Nnedka (who seems to be hungrier)

Although Candace didn't have a good game last night doesn't mean she needs to be traded. That would be crazy. Furthermore, Candace hasn't had a team to win it since she's been n LA. Look at Minnesota's roster. 4 Olympians. LA don't have great perimeter player that can create their own shot.

She could cry for trade like Fowles did and go to a stacked team and easily win one.

Beard is no longer a starter yet they are starting her. She should be coming off the bench and for the sake of winning a title I would also (if I am Agler) ask Parker to come off the bench also. LA has the pieces to win a title they just have the wrong pieces playing together at time. Popivich did it with Ginobli (who could've started on any team in the league yet he sacrificed for the good of the team).

Their Lineups should be

Starters/Bench
PG-Gray/Dabovic
SG-Tolliver/Beard
SF-Carson/Beard
PF-Nnedka/Parker/Gruda
C-Lavender/Parker

I would go with an 8 woman rotation and Parker would Backup Lavender First and then Gruda would come in to replace Nnedka and I would then move Parker to the 4 as Gruda plays the 5. Parker and Nnedka would realistically only be in the game together is late in the 4th Quarter when the game is on the line. Tolliver also should be playing off the ball. She is a scorer but has to facilitate because Gray hasn't been given many minutes at the point guard position.

Parker should not be coming off the bench. She is a superstar. Parker needs to suck it up and play ball. Quit the pouting, quit settling for perimeter shots and play like we all know she is capable of playing night in and night out. Maya Moore always shows up in the big games and the Sparks needs Candace to do also. As bad as she played last night, she almost had a Triple-Double. Just imagine if she played with fire and was in attack mode the entire game. LA have pieces to win the title this season, but it's up to them of how bad they want it.

I don't know why Dabovic is on the team. She's slow as hell, and is a turnover or blocked shot waiting to happen. I dread seeing her at the scorer's table.

The biggest difference between Minnesota and LA is that whoever is playing 1-4 for the Lynx can consistently hit the open 15 foot jumper, especially their 3 perimeter players. Only Carson, Tolliver and Lavender have any consistency with their jump shot. Parker should be attacking the basket a lot more than she does.

LA can win the Championship, but the support players have to be able to perform at the minimum level for what you would expect of a professional basketball player (such as able to make a routine jump shot) and Parker/Ogwumike need to be able to step up and find another gear when the team needs them to. Nneka has consistently done that this year; Candace needs to show that Team USA made a mistake not including her on the team. I expected her to play with a chip on her shoulder, and she has been largely a disappointment this season.

I don't know why Dabovic is on the team. She's slow as hell, and is a turnover or blocked shot waiting to happen. I dread seeing her at the scorer's table.

The biggest difference between Minnesota and LA is that whoever is playing 1-4 for the Lynx can consistently hit the open 15 foot jumper, especially their 3 perimeter players. Only Carson, Tolliver and Lavender have any consistency with their jump shot. Parker should be attacking the basket a lot more than she does.

LA can win the Championship, but the support players have to be able to perform at the minimum level for what you would expect of a professional basketball player (such as able to make a routine jump shot) and Parker/Ogwumike need to be able to step up and find another gear when the team needs them to. Nneka has consistently done that this year; Candace needs to show that Team USA made a mistake not including her on the team. I expected her to play with a chip on her shoulder, and she has been largely a disappointment this season.

I agree with most of ur statement except for the disappointment with Parker this season. She hasn't been the scorer she has been n past seasons but she's Top 10 n mostly every category.

I agree with most of ur statement except for the disappointment with Parker this season. She hasn't been the scorer she has been n past seasons but she's Top 10 n mostly every category.

WNBA top 10 stats are not the least bit impressive. 15.7 ppg is top 10, as is 7.2 rbs and 4 assists. The corresponding NCAAW stats are 22/11/6.4. So just because she's been "Top 10" in the league is somewhat meaningless because WNBA Top 10 are pretty mediocre numbers.

Other than assists and 3P%, she is below her career averages. She needs to be better. Right now, she doesn't deserve to be 1st team All-WNBA because she is not getting it done.

Parker should not be coming off the bench. She is a superstar. Parker needs to suck it up and play ball. Quit the pouting, quit settling for perimeter shots and play like we all know she is capable of playing night in and night out. Maya Moore always shows up in the big games and the Sparks needs Candace to do also. As bad as she played last night, she almost had a Triple-Double. Just imagine if she played with fire and was in attack mode the entire game. LA have pieces to win the title this season, but it's up to them of how bad they want it.

I don't want her to come off the bench either but sometimes people need a fire lit under them. She is dealing with a lot still (being left off of team USA, Pat's Death etc.) and sometimes that wake up call is whats needed.

WNBA top 10 stats are not the least bit impressive. 15.7 ppg is top 10, as is 7.2 rbs and 4 assists. The corresponding NCAAW stats are 22/11/6.4. So just because she's been "Top 10" in the league is somewhat meaningless because WNBA Top 10 are pretty mediocre numbers.

Other than assists and 3P%, she is below her career averages. She needs to be better. Right now, she doesn't deserve to be 1st team All-WNBA because she is not getting it done.

I could be wrong but my thinking is the averages are lower because only the best NCAA WBB players make it to the WNBA?

Although Candace didn't have a good game last night doesn't mean she needs to be traded. That would be crazy. Furthermore, Candace hasn't had a team to win it since she's been n LA. Look at Minnesota's roster. 4 Olympians. LA don't have great perimeter player that can create their own shot.

She could cry for trade like Fowles did and go to a stacked team and easily win one.

She would never stoop that low. She has way more pride than that.

She had one bad game last night that she should've been better but what she has been doing was obviously working being that they've only lost 5 games and b4 the break it was 2 games. I do agree that in order for them to win the ship she has to b bring her A game but I'm not going to down her bc they are the top 2 teams n the league right now.

I could be wrong but my thinking is the averages are lower because only the best NCAA WBB players make it to the WNBA?

WNBA players for the most part cannot create their own shot and score efficiently against pro-caliber defense. Which is why the scoring (outside of the top 4-5) and assists are so pathetically low. It's also why the average basketball fan would never waste their money to watch WNBA teams consistently miss jump shots and layups.

For a player like Parker to average under 16 ppg is pedestrian for her, even though that's technically "top 10" in the league. If Tina Charles and Nneka can, then why is she mired towards the bottom of the top 10 lists. Does that mean Tina and Nneka are better players than she is? She can, and needs to, do better than that to prove that she is one of the best players in the league.

She had one bad game last night that she should've been better but what she has been doing was obviously working being that they've only lost 5 games and b4 the break it was 2 games. I do agree that in order for them to win the ship she has to b bring her A game but I'm not going to down her bc they are the top 2 teams n the league right now.

No kidding. They had an off game and lost by 3, you would think they lost by 30. Now with only the second best record suddenly Parker sucks, the season is over, and it's time to overhaul the roster. The last time they lost at home by 3 to Minnesota, they crushed them in the rematch in Minneapolis.

Get a grip people....

404 Not Found

Statistically, Parker is having one of her worst WNBA seasons on record, except for maybe 2014. Her true shooting percentage matches the lowest of her career (.536), her 3-point attempt rate is nearly double that of her career average (.254 compared to .13), her free throw rate is almost a career low, her rebounding % on both ends is near career low (she'll be out of the top 10 for the first time in her career), her turnover percentage is at by-far a career high (even though her usage rate is down from the past four years). The only area she's really excelling is assist percentage, where she's 6th in the league (though she was 1st in her short season last year).

I imagine some of this has to do with Nneka's emergence as a superstar, and even though Candace's numbers are down, the Sparks are having their most successful season as a team since she's been part of the franchise.

Parker is an incredible talent and is having a very good year on a very good team. Those are just the facts. The problem I see, and it has been true for much of her career, she does not play with a high motor - she can be brilliant for a five minute stretch and then something happens and she is almost 'going through the motions'. I think she may also care about being spectacular more than being good - and there are many more chances to be spectacular on offense so she seems more excited about that than the defense.

There was a moment in the ESPN highlights of last nights game that was just stunning to me. It came in the last two minutes of the game, LA missed a shot and MN got the rebound - Parker and Nneka were both out high and Moore was in the lane. Parker turned and started jogging back, Nneka was backpedaling, and Moore from 15 feet further back started sprinting. Nneka was late to see her and late to turn, but did and started chasing but Parker just continued her easy jog as Moore sped past, received the ball and laid it in the hoop.
If you cannot get excited enough in the last two minutes of the most important regular season game to hustle back on defense, your team has a problem.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back