WBB conference schedule?

LVJeff

Still no conference schedule? All I see is the out of conference schedule on the UT site. Did I miss it?

Is it not ridiculous that the SEC can already announce the 2017 Football Schedule but not this years Women's Basketball Schedule! :mad::confused:

Reactions: 4 people
Is it not ridiculous that the SEC can already announce the 2017 Football Schedule but not this years Women's Basketball Schedule! :mad::confused:

Makes you wonder,,,are we having a hard time picking a dance partner, or, finding one?

Probably too busy changing the signs on the arena's bathrooms to come up with a bball schedule. :(

Reactions: 3 people
I was told they are still waiting on tv schedules, but it should be out next week. Apparently, the SEC Network and ESPN are taking their sweet time.

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully the Athletic Department will see fit to actually post the complete schedule rather than just releasing a news article saying that it has been released.

Actually, I expect that they will, in fact, have the complete schedule up on the website by the end of the day!

Jim

Really I believe we are going to be extremly better than what we were. If we play like we did towards the end I see 4 or 5 losses and that is to notre dame, baylor, Sc, tx

Tennessee is slated to play 11 regular-season games vs. teams ranked in Charlie Crème's Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25, including seven at home.
Those games are vs. No. 1 Notre Dame, at No. 3 South Carolina, vs. No. 5 Baylor, at No. 6 Texas, vs. No. 10 Stanford, vs. & at No. 12 Mississippi State, vs. No. 13 Kentucky, at & vs. No. 17 Florida and vs. No. 19 Missouri.
The Lady Vols will play 17 regular-season games vs. teams that saw postseason action in 2015-16, including nine at Thompson-Boling Arena.
NCAA Elite Eight teams a year ago include Baylor, Stanford and Texas, while Sweet 16 finishers were Notre Dame, South Carolina, Kentucky and Mississippi State.
Teams advancing as far as the NCAA Second Round in 2016 were Auburn, Missouri and Texas A&M, while James Madison, Troy, Florida (UT will play twice) and Georgia were eliminated in the first round.
The Lady Vols had the nation's toughest schedule in 2015-16, the second-toughest in 2014-15 and fourth most difficult in 2013-14.
Virginia Tech (second round) and Alabama (first round) played in the WNIT last season.

Lady Vols' SEC Slate Revealed - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Reactions: 1 person
Can someone please explain to me how Tennessee and South Carolina can only play each other once? Aren't they suppose to be the best teams in the conference?

When I think about recent amazing conference battles like Baylor vs Texas or Baylor vs Texas A&M a few years back, Maryland vs Ohio St, UConn vs Notre Dame a few years back... these teams all played each other 2, 3, and sometimes 4 times in a year.

What's up with these rotations in the SEC? Is it like lottery system or what?

Can someone please explain to me how Tennessee and South Carolina can only play each other once? Aren't they suppose to be the best teams in the conference?

When I think about recent amazing conference battles like Baylor vs Texas or Baylor vs Texas A&M a few years back, Maryland vs Ohio St, UConn vs Notre Dame a few years back... these teams all played each other 2, 3, and sometimes 4 times in a year.

What's up with these rotations in the SEC? Is it like lottery system or what?

To who? I'm pretty sure there's somebody out there that thinks Tennessee and Mississippi State are the best two teams.. or South Carolina and Mississippi State. Point being, the SEC shouldn't create schedules off preseason rankings and assumptions.

I'm pretty sure you asked this EXACT question before last season and it was explained to you then. But perhaps you've forgotten so I'll explain it for you again.. (and if wasn't you that asked, well, here goes..)

The SEC has rotational rivals and permanent rivals, no matter the ranking. You play your permanent rival twice per year, then you play your TWO rotational rivals twice per year. The other 10 teams you play once. Tennessee's permanent rival is Vanderbilt. South Carolina's is Kentucky. Your rotational rivals "rotate" every year. A few years ago, 2014 or 2013 maybe, SC's rotational rival was Tennessee and they played twice during the regular season and once more during the SEC Tournament to equal three total times played.

Sure, this may seem dumb to you or doesn't produce the best matchups or whatever but the SEC does this regardless of ranking.. That's the formula. It works. No need to confuse it by adding arbitrary rankings based on who's considered the best team and creating unfair schedules in the process (Why should Tennessee, SC and Miss State beat up on eachother and give Auburn or LSU and easier path to the title just because those teams are "better").. This is why we have a conference tournament, the best teams, if they are in fact the best teams, always meet in the tournament.

At least with this way if you get a hard schedule you know it's because of the rotation and not because the SEC Home Office in Birmingham made it harder because you're considered a better team.

The Big 12 has a formula too, Texas and Baylor aren't playing each other 3 or 4 times arbitrarily just because they are "better"... with the Big 12 being a smaller conference they have more room to breathe as far as scheduling.. They play 18 conference games in the Big 12 (there are only 10 members, so you play the other 9 twice). If the SEC followed that scheduling formula then we'd be playing a 26 game conference schedule, basically only leaving room for the tournaments (say goodbye to those fun OOC games).

Also, from my understanding.. doesn't the AAC have permanent rivals as well. I mean, you do play USF twice per year right? It just so happens that the other best team in your conference also happens to be your permanent rival. South Carolina's permanent rival (Kentucky) is also usually pretty good, a lot of times better than USF.

So perhaps the question you now may be asking is... why aren't South Carolina and Tennessee permanent rivals. Well, because... South Carolina wasn't always the South Carolina that it is today. Perhaps nobody saw SC being this good 5 years ago and said "let's make them permanent rivals with Tennessee to guarantee that they place twice during the regular season".. Just because both teams are good now doesn't mean they will be good 5 years from now. Who decides when South Carolina is no longer good enough to be permanent rivals with Tennessee and vice versa? See, that's arbitrary and unnecessary, and why should the entire conference be dictated to in order to appease South Carolina and Tennessee. Appeasing one school is typically not how the SEC does things.

TL:DR
Each conference has a formula that works for them. The SEC has two rotational rivals and one permanent rival. You play your rivals twice per season. Obviously, your rotational rivals rotate every year. You play everybody else once.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
To who? I'm pretty sure there's somebody out there that thinks Tennessee and Mississippi State are the best two teams.. or South Carolina and Mississippi State. Point being, the SEC shouldn't create schedules off preseason rankings and assumptions.

I'm pretty sure you asked this EXACT question before last season and it was explained to you then. But perhaps you've forgotten so I'll explain it for you again.. (and if wasn't you that asked, well, here goes..)

The SEC has rotational rivals and permanent rivals, no matter the ranking. You play your permanent rival twice per year, then you play your TWO rotational rivals twice per year. The other 10 teams you play once. Tennessee's permanent rival is Vanderbilt. South Carolina's is Kentucky. Your rotational rivals "rotate" every year. A few years ago, 2014 or 2013 maybe, SC's rotational rival was Tennessee and they played twice during the regular season and once more during the SEC Tournament to equal three total times played.

Sure, this may seem dumb to you or doesn't produce the best matchups or whatever but the SEC does this regardless of ranking.. That's the formula. It works. No need to confuse it by adding arbitrary rankings based on who's considered the best team and creating unfair schedules in the process (Why should Tennessee, SC and Miss State beat up on eachother and give Auburn or LSU and easier path to the title just because those teams are "better").. This is why we have a conference tournament, the best teams, if they are in fact the best teams, always meet in the tournament.

At least with this way if you get a hard schedule you know it's because of the rotation and not because the SEC Home Office in Birmingham made it harder because you're considered a better team.

The Big 12 has a formula too, Texas and Baylor aren't playing each other 3 or 4 times arbitrarily just because they are "better"... with the Big 12 being a smaller conference they have more room to breathe as far as scheduling.. They play 18 conference games in the Big 12 (there are only 10 members, so you play the other 9 twice). If the SEC followed that scheduling formula then we'd be playing a 26 game conference schedule, basically only leaving room for the tournaments (say goodbye to those fun OOC games).

Also, from my understanding.. doesn't the AAC have permanent rivals as well. I mean, you do play USF twice per year right? It just so happens that the other best team in your conference also happens to be your permanent rival. South Carolina's permanent rival (Kentucky) is also usually pretty good, a lot of times better than USF.

So perhaps the question you now may be asking is... why aren't South Carolina and Tennessee permanent rivals. Well, because... South Carolina wasn't always the South Carolina that it is today. Perhaps nobody saw SC being this good 5 years ago and said "let's make them permanent rivals with Tennessee to guarantee that they place twice during the regular season".. Just because both teams are good now doesn't mean they will be good 5 years from now. Who decides when South Carolina is no longer good enough to be permanent rivals with Tennessee and vice versa? See, that's arbitrary and unnecessary, and why should the entire conference be dictated to in order to appease South Carolina and Tennessee. Appeasing one school is typically not how the SEC does things.

TL:DR
Each conference has a formula that works for them. The SEC has two rotational rivals and one permanent rival. You play your rivals twice per season. Obviously, your rotational rivals rotate every year. You play everybody else once.

I like how you answered the question and then thought up hypothetical questions that I might have asked and answered those too... LOL Very thorough though and I appreciate that. The question that you didn't answer was if the SEC chooses these permanent match ups how long do they exist for or how long have they existed for specifically for the SEC? I'm assuming when TAMU entered the conference they had to make some soft of a change right?

I wonder just because your post seems to indicate that the conference doesn't.... or you believe that the conference doesn't match these teams based on how strong they are or their rankings. Which is why I asked if there is some sort of lottery or point system they used to get these match ups. If you could provide a link to the information that would be useful so we can avoid a lengthy conversation in this thread.

VN Store

Back