Volleyball central: Ohio weekend

A volleyball post! Yea! When is the last time we had a good or even fairly good volleyball team? I think it's been a few years if not longer. I think Coach Patrick's recruiting has been pretty weak for years. We beat various non-conference creampuffs and then get our hats handed to us in SEC play. We've got a new volleyball facility--it's nice. Maybe that will help. We have women's coaches who are underachieving, I'm afraid.

The last few years he has had to schedule creampuffs so his record wouldn't look so bad...just hope we don't finish last place in the SEC this year

Reactions: 1 person
The last few years he has had to schedule creampuffs so his record wouldn't look so bad...just hope we don't finish last place in the SEC this year

If we were better we'd be playing stronger non-conference schools to get us ready for SEC play. Playing Cleveland State--which beat us yesterday, after we had a 2-0 lead to start--isn't going to help much.

A volleyball post! Yea! When is the last time we had a good or even fairly good volleyball team? I think it's been a few years if not longer. I think Coach Patrick's recruiting has been pretty weak for years. We beat various non-conference creampuffs and then get our hats handed to us in SEC play. We've got a new volleyball facility--it's nice. Maybe that will help. We have women's coaches who are underachieving, I'm afraid.

2012 was the last time we had a decent team and made the NCAA Tournament, where we lost to Michigan in 5 sets in the first round. Then the player transfer epidemic started after that season due to the coach's behavior. We lost 8 players after the 2012 season alone. That was followed by a pair of embarrassing 1-17 SEC seasons, with an improvement to 7-11 last year. We'll never be good again as long as Patrick is the coach. Hopefully the new athletic director will actually care and fire him.

2012 was the last time we had a decent team and made the NCAA Tournament, where we lost to Michigan in 5 sets in the first round. Then the player transfer epidemic started after that season due to the coach's behavior. We lost 8 players after the 2012 season alone. That was followed by a pair of embarrassing 1-17 SEC seasons, with an improvement to 7-11 last year. We'll never be good again as long as Patrick is the coach. Hopefully the new athletic director will actually care and fire him.

False. Totally and completely false.

tks the stream. Watched the first game against cleveland state: we rallied and won it after trailing 21-16. Vols with a slow start but got better as the game went along. Cleveland St. has won the Horizon League the last two years, so they are no slouch. Doesn't look like we are super strong up front; we'll have to wait for SEC play.

Why'd we lose 8 players?

There was an internal issue between several players and some were asked to leave, while others were allowed to transfer. All were given full releases.

That's really all I can say without violating confidences. But the administration was behind the decision and the coaching staff 100%

There was an internal issue between several players and some were asked to leave, while others were allowed to transfer. All were given full releases.

That's really all I can say without violating confidences. But the administration was behind the decision and the coaching staff 100%

was not at all a factor in the situation? I could certainly see an internal issue between a couple of players or a few players resulting in departures. But eight? That's more than half the team.

In any case, it is history--and the fact remains that the program is not doing well. I didn't even realize that we actually got beat by Cleveland State. I can only hope that the next athletic director takes a tough line on our underachieving volleyball and women's basketball programs.

Reactions: 1 person
If I remember correctly, there were also 5 players who transferred after 2013. That isn't normal.

If I remember correctly, there were also 5 players who transferred after 2013. That isn't normal.

Three of those were walk-ons. The other two were players that were signed late to fill spots after the departures the previous years.

Have had very few departures since.

VN Store

Back