Spain vs US for Gold

bobkitten

TV commentators saying that much of the crowd is cheering for Spain due to USA dominance. USA not playing very well together right now. Spain is us 14-12.

Nearly the end of the 3rd and Catching still not put in! Announcers are listing her accomplishments.

Reactions: 1 person
I expected us to win but we're killing Spain. Holy Cow! We've played an awesome gold medal game. Now, hope the men can do the same.

Does that surprise you?

Not at all. Auriemma has a long history of shortening his bench in championship games. You can argue with this strategy but not his results. 11-0 in college championships, 2-0 in worlds and now 2-0 in Olympic finals.

15-0 overall.

Not at all. Auriemma has a long history of shortening his bench in championship games. You can argue with this strategy but not his results. 11-0 in college championships, 2-0 in worlds and now 2-0 in Olympic finals.

15-0 overall.

Well it seems like for Tamika he shortened the bench the entire tournament.

Reactions: 7 people

15-0 overall.
If you mean shortening the bench by holding out one player, I guess so. The excuses and reality don't match up. Catch barely got to break a sweat. He should have let her play the whole second half of the fourth period since it's her swan song and she has meant so much to the game but no, he shortened his bench by one player. You can take your weak excuse and stuff it. It's not going to fly around here.

Reactions: 9 people

15-0 overall.

Who's arguing with the results? You make up more s*** than a cow with diarrhea. It is and always has been his petty and spiteful behavior towards others that everyone talks about it.

Reactions: 6 people
Not at all. Auriemma has a long history of being an a*****

Fixed for you.

There is no excuse for Catchings playing so few minutes in her final Olympic game. None. Especially in a game that was never in doubt by halftime.

Total d*** move by Geno, but he has a long history of that...

Reactions: 7 people
I expected us to win but we're killing Spain. Holy Cow! We've played an awesome gold medal game. Now, hope the men can do the same.

It's too bad Australia was upset before the medal round as they were probably the second best team in the tournament and the best matchup against the US. Not that I think they would have won, or even kept the margin in single digits, but they likely would have made the game a little more interesting for longer....

You would have thought he would put her in for the final minutes of the game to give her a proper send off!!! I was so steamed that he didn't give her that type of consideration!

Who's arguing with the results? You make up more s*** than a cow with diarrhea. It is and always has been his petty and spiteful behavior towards others that everyone talks about it.

Yeah, his comments about Catchings over the years just reek with "petty and spiteful". :loco:

Reactions: 2 people
I just don't see it this way (Geno A. trying to put Tamika down). Tamika I'm sure doesn't see it this way.

This issue seems to have some on this board rooting against the USA, which is hard for me to understand.

The Candace snub, based on basketball talent, was not defensible in any way (which is why they should have just been honest and said why they really left her off). But watching this USA team romp really should have elicited major pride for those in this country that love the sport. I wish Geno wasn't coaching so that people could get past that and just be happy for the team (this team did not need him at all to win).

The real reason to be concerned from the Tennessee Volunteer perspective is that outside of Candace (now an 8 year pro), there really are no Lady Vols on the short list to play for Team USA in the foreseeable future. This perhaps is one of the biggest indicators of how the program has dropped off since Pat got sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
not when the short list is all Uconners, that's for damn sure.

ND'ers, USC(e)ers, Dukies, LADY Vol'ers need not apply

.....The real reason to be concerned from the Tennessee Volunteer perspective is that outside of Candace (now an 8 year pro), there really are no Lady Vols on the short list to play for Team USA in the foreseeable future. This perhaps is one of the biggest indicators of how the program has dropped off since Pat got sick.

This is eye-opening.

OK, VolNation, who represents UT in the next Olympics (Besides Candace)?
The only potentials I see beyond CP3 is Izzy and a "Diamond in the rough".
Anyone else?

UT has 8 women in the WNBA right now.
  1. Vicki Baugh
  2. Bashaara Graves
  3. Tamika Catchings
  4. Isabelle Harrison
  5. Glory Johnson
  6. Candace Parker
  7. Meighan Simmons
  8. Shekinna Stricklen

You don't want to know how many the sled dogs have...26

You talk to some people and they tell you how far we went in the past few years. . . Elite Eight.

Yay? ... ???

Tennessee has not signed a marquis player since 2004 and there doesn't seem to be anyone in the near future. If Parker doesn't make the 2020 team it might be a long time before another UT alum plays in the Olympics.

bull crap we've signed plenty of marquis players, they just keep getting injured and/or not get coached up to the next level...

Vickie Baugh would have been elite but her knee got shot to hell. DD got shin splints from too much bball. Russell 2bd....

VN Store

Back